Just picked up this Tele, to what I’d imagine is a steal.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Shockmaster, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Ledjunkie

Ledjunkie TDPRI Member

I love a great deal. I love finding a great deal and negotiating a BETTER deal. There is nothing wrong with it. Remember a deal is only a deal when both parties are agreeable to the terms. Buyer or seller regret after the fact is a bummer but @ the time of the deal it was agreeable.

Now taking advantage of someone due to their ignorance is kind of low. However, now it only takes a few minutes on the internet to form an approximate value of any article so due diligence is in order, but there is a fine line.

Several years ago I bought a Orange Micro-Terror off CR. I recognized the seller from his repetitive use of the same backdrop. He was a frequent seller of gear at good prices. So we agreed to meet and while I had the cash I asked if he could do a better price. We went back and forth and he took my lowest offer. He said Thanks and drove away. I think I paid 60.00 for the amp. It still had the hang tag on it.

Back to OP. Great guitar. My only Tele is a MIM and it plays great. So enjoy it :)

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

This is my partscaster.

fullsizeoutput_1ca.jpeg Body from a Squire Affinity, neck from a Cabronita, Dimarzio Twang King pickup, Emerson electronics with the Eldred mod. A lot of attention was given to the neck and frets.

This thing plays like a dream. killer low action, killer sustain, and 0 buzz. And it positively screams! :cool: I mean like hair standing up on the back of my neck tone.

Anyone that has ever plugged it in and played is has said WOW!

The point is, I love this thing, it's like part of me. It is a killer guitar by any measurement, and priceless as it has sentimental attachment as well. However, I'll bet I could not realistically sell it for more than $200.:rolleyes:

3. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

OP, I think that's a Blacktop Tele. I have the Blacktop baritone and love it - I hope you enjoy yours as much as I like mine.

Treehouse and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That's the same model Blacktop I used to own, with the maple neck. Great deal you got, gratulations!

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

*Except for actual stealing.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

POOR CHOICE OF WORDS. I'll say it again if I need to. Do I need to go into confession or something?

7. Endless Mike

Do you recall when MIJ guitars were considered cheap and/or inferior? I do, quite clearly. That was the 80s and beginning of the 90s. Now look at how they are viewed.

cdwillis, Jim603 and fenderchamp like this.
  8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love a cheap little guitar as much h
    I remember, I still have one :) E series, it's ok. It's nothing special.

9. Shockmaster

Shockmaster TDPRI Member

I
    I acu
    yes I do, but they were definitely quality in comparison to what they are producing today in masses, with ridiculous price tags.

10. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Hope it wasn't some dudes wife/girlfriend selling off all his stuff out of spite despite her story... Great pick up! There are still deals out there folks! Ya hear that Reverb and Ebay!?? LOL...

11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Great score. But my favorite part of your story was the guy offering $1,500 for your 1986 MIJ E series strat, since I have 1986 E series strat.

cdwillis and tubegeek like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Think long and hard before flipping that guitar.
    It's a Blacktop model.

Here's mine. I had gotten it five or six years ago intending to flip it and it's still here, my #1 Tele. Awesome neck. I have the single pickup wired to a 4-way switch controlling both pickups neck/parallel/bridge/humbucker.

[​IMG]

Treehouse and Shockmaster like this.
  13. Endless Mike

Sure. My point was simply about the subjectivity of perceived quality.

Shockmaster likes this.
  14. Endless Mike

I'm neutral on them. I mention it to point out that today trash is tomorrow's treasure, and vice versa.

Maybe a better example is the example of the video posted a while back of Jack Peterson. He discussed two cheap Fenders he owns and plays. They were Korean and Indonesian or something along those lines.

15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

The indescribable essence that makes an amazing guitar is called Mojo!!

16. Shockmaster

Shockmaster TDPRI Member

Beautiful. How do you like the single Humbucker with the 4-way?

17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Just called an ambulance to take me to hospital, sick with envy at the deals you Amerrycans can get

18. Shockmaster

Shockmaster TDPRI Member

Haha I’m sure they can pop up anywhere! Lots of musicians, and music hopefuls with money here in Los Angeles.

Still the best deal of anyone I know personally is my mothers boyfriend. He was at a music store here in Los Angeles getting a guitar setup. An elderly woman in her 80s was walking in with a guitar. The shop didn’t buy gear, so without even looking in the case, they sent her out the door. My moms boyfriend stopped her to try and help her out and send her to a local shop that would. She explained it was her sons and she bought it for him in the 60s Brand new. He broke his wrist bicycling lost interest and the guitar went into the attic to never be opened again. Since then, her son had unfortunately passed. She said She was trying to clear the house to get ready to sell it and she paid $190 for it in 1966 and still had the receipt. She said all she wanted was the $190 that she paid in the 60s. He felt bad and had $200 in his wallet. He pulled it out and handed it to her to help her thinking he would get a clean Teisco or Sears guitar. It had a fender logo but he didn’t see it at first. He takes the guitar home and doesn’t open it for two days. Finally he opens it and is now the proud owner of a 1966 Stratocaster. Had the receipt in the box with all the candy and original strap. Incredible. That was about 2 years ago and he still owns and cherishes it. Here’s a photo of it. Jealous doesn’t describe how I feel for that find.

Attached Files:

cdwillis, Piggy Stu and superjam144 like this.
  19. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I get it. I don't have me no custom shop tele, believe me. Like I said I like a cheap little guitar as much as the next guy, and I have a bunch of parts-casterers with varying arrays of expensive and cheap parts and I have some Gibsons and some expensive guitars as well and all that.

I would like a custom shop no-caster though...

a blacktop tele, not so much ;)

the easily describable essence that makes a great guitar is a great player.

superjam144 likes this.
  20. TheGooch

TheGooch TDPRI Member

You can't put a price tag on sentimental value.

Ebidis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.