Just picked up this Champ for $140. What to do?

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
Silverface is correct.
Get a tech to replace the old electrolytic capacitors and the busted pot.
Don't change out the tubes unless they test bad, and make sure that you get to take the supposedly bad ones home with you.
Vintage USA tubes are far superior to the tubes made today. My amps use 50 70 year old tubes exclusively.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Just grabbed this and to my surprise it works! It’s a little sizzley and there is no treble knob but I think it’s a steal. What to do? fix up? How much would it be? Resale? Amp noob.
Great deal there....way to go!

soundchaser59

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Any tube amp over 20 years old needs to go to a tech imediately. If they look physically ok I don't even turn them on. Filter capacitors - in this case an upright can - have a service life of 15-20 years max. After that point they can blow with zero warning a take out your (expensive) power transformer.

Since you DID turn it on - it makes NO difference how it sounds, it's simply a matter of parts service life. There's only one option - take it to a tech, and if the power filters have NO already been replaced have him replace them. Some techs will only do works you tell them to, so make SURE you tell them to replace filter caps over 15 years old.

Tubes rarely need to be replaced on 50's/60's/70's amps. My tweeds and blonde Fender are all running on original tubes. It's only newer, Russian, Chinese and European tubes that have shorter lives.

Get it serviced; if it has original GE, RCA or Sylvania tubes don't get talked into replacement (it's unlikely they have high voltage equipment to test them anyway) and play it!
SPOT FREAKING ON!

It might sound ok, but it's not. Don't risk it. Get it serviced now. And don't let the guy tell you this is ok, that's ok, etc. Tell him to do the cap job whether he thinks it needs it or not. Don't take it to one of those "just what it needs and nothing more" techs. If an old cap goes out without warning you will be lucky if all it does is blow the fuse. That's why I suggested letting Jim Frenzel work on it. Absolutely honest, absolutely unimpeachable work, and super reasonable price.

And don't let anyone change the tubes for you. They will tell you it needs new tubes but really they just want those original tubes and they hope you don't know what the original tubes are worth.

Silverface

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Have that 3-prong cord checked as well. About half the replacement ones I see are wired incorrectly. The hot side must run through both the fuse and ;ower switchbefore being connected to the transformer; the neutral side is connected directly to a transformer wire, and the ground should be soldered directly to the chassis with a 100W or higher iron (don't use soldering guns around music gear - they won't hurt amps but can demagnetize pickups. I prefer they not be in the same room.

if he hot and neutral wires are reversed you could end up with a hot chassis - touch the chassis and ground and there's a chance of electrocution - ot at least a nasty, burning chock!

DjimiWrey

Tele-Holic
check out the "40 watts of whoop ass" mod and load it with a good FULL RANGE speaker.
and definitely put a grounded power cord on

gimmeatele

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats, I got a champ II in full working order for around the same price in the UK, a couple of years ago, love it, I went into music shop for a champ 600, guy did me a favour selling me the champ II

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just grabbed this and to my surprise it works! It’s a little sizzley and there is no treble knob but I think it’s a steal. What to do? fix up? How much would it be? Resale? Amp noob.
Probably $350 if you fix the grill cloth and warped baffle and get it working correctly.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
I don't know much about amps, but if it were me I'd do very little to it cosmetically besides clean it. I think it looks cool a bit scruffed up like it is.

knavel

Tele-Holic
I agree with the get it serviced and leave the grill cloth alone crowd. I remember getting a Champ of about that era as part of a deal on a 71 Strat I bought. I had a "no silverface Fenders in the house" rule and sold it for $100. I thought I was being clever but actually I wasn't and should have kept it. Thankfully we did keep the Roland Bee Baa and Maestro Phaser that also came in as part of the deal.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
You have several choices. You could probably flip it tomorrow for twice what you paid without spending a cent. You could get it re-capped and looked over well by a tech for maybe $200 tops. If it needs more than that, the decision becomes tougher. But I wouldn't restore it because you may not get that money back. An old amp with genuine wear is quite appealing to many of us. We won't pay big bucks for museum pieces.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Great deal man!!! Fix her up and rock out! I've seen these go for 5-600 easy, so you got plenty of wiggle room for repairs ;) Cool!