Just ordered my Warmoth neck! (riftsawn???)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nareg, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Nareg

Nareg TDPRI Member

Well, I ordered a week ago but the excitement is really blowing out of control right now. What do you guys think of the photos? I think it looks a little weird because half of the neck looks quarter-sawn while the other half looks flamed? Is it maybe what they would call riftsawn? Either way this thing cost me 400 dollars with all of the options below so it definitely is NOT turning out cheap.

Telecaster®, Vintage Modern,
    Flame Maple,
    1 11/16" Nut Width,
    Standard thin,
    SS6100 (Stainless),
    Sperzel (25/64") Tuner Ream,
    22 frets,
    10-16" Compound Radius,
    GraphTech White TUSQ,
    Vintage Tint Gloss

Attached Files:

2. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

I'd probably tell them for what I was paying I'd want the neck to be uniform, and not half flame and half not.

3. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the effect myself, though of course you're the one who's going to be playing it. It's a unique looking neck.

4. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

I own warmoth, musikraft & USA custom necks & they are all great!!!!congrats on your purchase@!!!

5. Nareg

Nareg TDPRI Member

I like the effect too, but the quartersawn- looking part stops halfway up the face of the neck and i'm wondering what can cause that effect? I'm also curious how it will take a finish... maybe it'll turn out ugly?

6. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

You'd probably dig the one I have in the classifieds if it wasn't for the boatneck profile... very similar. I had a standard thin but it made my hand cramp more than any other guitar I've ever owned. I think the quartersawn/flame thing looks kinda cool.... what kinda finish are you gonna do? edit: nevermind, just saw it

7. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nothing "causes" it, per se; it just depends on how the wood is oriented as the sawblade runs through it. In maple, those flecks you've got on the treble half are where the saw runs straight agross the grain. Your neck is plain sawn; I'd bet that, if you look straight-on from the end of the headstock, with the frets facing up, the grain lines would run from 10 o'clock down to 4 o'clock.

It's just plainsawn, is all. Many thousands of fender necks are, and they mostly do just fine. If the aesthetics bother you, I'd exchange for another; I doubt you'll need to worry about that neck's structure. A clear finish would likely add "depth" to the treble figure, so it would definitely stand out a bit.

8. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes, the flame doesn't go the entire width of the tree.
    I think that's a nice piece but if you don't like the 50/50 look, tell them.

9. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

The neck I'm working on now has similar figure, on the back. Flecks on the treble slope and flame on the rest. I wish the flame went all the way across the back profile, but like it well enough. I'll get some pics up this evening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.