1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just ordered my first

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by SuprHtr, Nov 21, 2020.

1. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Squier VM Bass VI. I'm no bassist, and barely play guitar, but I had to have one of these. No, it's not practical or anything I can use. It's purely a case of GAS. Should be fun, though!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

SuprHtr likes this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

A fascinating instrument, but I've never managed to find one when I've had the cash in my pocket.

I don't know how familiar you are with the wacky world of offsets, but I'll refer you to this article by one of their biggest fans, Michael J Adams. His Instagram page and YouTube channel (under the name puisheen) are full of enthusiasm and sound info.

Enjoy the VM vi and keep us posted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mmguit...ied-bass-vi-a-100-pun-free-upgrade-guide/amp/

Save this for later

buster poser, lmjmitchell and SuprHtr like this.
  4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

ME TOO!! Gassing for one for a couple years- can’t justify it...o_O but I KNOW I need it....(Witchta Lineman, and all the cool Jack Nitzsche stuff:cool:)

I must start a “savings account” in a coffee can etc, and then pull the trigger!!!
    Which one are you getting?? I’m leaning sunburst- but colors are limited...:oops:

SuprHtr likes this.
  5. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Congratulations! I have a VM Bass VI and it’s a super fun and practical instrument for me.

SuprHtr likes this.
  6. SuprHtr

It’s a used sunburst. Musician’s Friend has started selling Guitar Center store stock, so it’s kind of a crap shoot, especially since the listing didn’t say what condition it is in. But the price was right so I’m taking a chance on it.

7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Congrats, will be awaiting pictures. Sometimes you just need something different, so enjoy to the fullest.

SuprHtr likes this.
  8. SuprHtr

It came today. The finish is in fantastic shape. The neck was not right but I was able to loosen the screws and get things centered up, barely. It's missing the vibrato bar and, oddly, the screw and spring from the high E bridge barrel. The barrel was there, lodged under the string, but no screw. I contacted MF and they have to contact the GC Store in Concord, CA, where it shipped from, to see what they'll do to correct my missing parts issue. Oh, the tone knob is acting as a volume knob, so I'll probably fix that myself. Smallest pots I've ever seen in a guitar, with zero damping.

If I want to change out the bridge for a Staytrem, it's not so simple any more. They're only shipping in the UK, and one reseller I found on Ebay wanted $222! It's not gonna happen at that price. Are there any other high quality replacements for the Bass VI bridge?

IMG_4440r.JPG The burst looks very nice.
    IMG_4438r.JPG How do the screw and spring get lost but not the barrel?
    IMG_4437r.JPG

paulblackford likes this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations. Enjoy.

SuprHtr likes this.
  10. SuprHtr

Still no word on the missing parts, so I’ll call MF again and reiterate my request. Meanwhile, I’ll also look for a bridge screw at the hardware store. I’m not buying a vibrato bar until they confirm that they won’t supply one.

On a brighter note, I sent an email to Staytrem asking when they might resume shipping to the US. I got a prompt reply stating that they will probably be able to sell me a bridge in January. I’ve been looking at photos from their website and the bridges look to be very well made and well thought out.

11. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

If Staytrem is going to resume supplying abroad, I'd strongly recommend getting his trem arm and collet as well. You're right, his bridges are very nicely made and work beautifully.

SuprHtr likes this.
  12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

String tension holds barrel, screw backs out and spring falls out.

SuprHtr likes this.
  13. SuprHtr

Yeah, apparently it's chronic. Until I replace the bridge, I think some thread locker is in order. On the barrel screws AND the two height adjustment screws.

14. SJFR80

SJFR80 TDPRI Member

Congratulations... enjoy!!

15. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Congrats, looks great. Considered one myself a couple of months ago. Ended up getting a Jag and a Mustang PJ bass ;)

You may be able to use a Mustang bridge (this guy says it worked: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/squier-bass-vi-is-there-a-bridge-replacement.1450107/). I put that bridge on my Jaguar, great but seems sketchy for your purposes.. the slot in the saddles for the strings seems a little narrow/shallow for the VI, not sure on spacing either. Should be pretty easy to verify though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.