Just ordered "Inside Tube Amps: by Dan Torres"

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by joel_ostrom, Sep 12, 2012.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

At the word of lots of fella's at the amp building forum I orderd myself one of these to implement the growth of my inner "amp builder"
    Anybody else read it?
    [​IMG]

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Read it way back when. I read every amp book I could find and still do.
    Torres has ruined or helped ruin alot of vintage Fender amps so keep that in mind.
    Not saying ruined as in not working but from a collecter, resale value point of view.
    If I rember right it was this book that helped the most learning to read schmatics. Very important to know how to read a schmatic!

The last two amp books I read (on a Kendall) were a waste of time.

3. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

'Not saying ruined as in not working but from a collecter, resale value point of view.'

He modded them to make em sound different. Anyone more interested in resale value shouldn't be modding to begin with.

4. dragonbat13

dragonbat13 Tele-Meister

They call him the butcher, but that book is good for a first book. I actually want another copy of it.

5. joel_ostrom

I'm confused, what exactly did he do that people don't like?

Did he mod vintage amps and make them lose their vintage "magic" or "mojo"?
    Schematic reading is something I definitely want to learn.
    Is there other good info that this book has to offer?

6. joel_ostrom

This book was kinda tricky to track down. Lots of places like eBay or Amazon had them for like $200-$300.

I bought mine at http://www.whole-tonemusic.com/ for $45

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

The author sells a CD version of the book for $14.95.

8. joel_ostrom

That's cool, but I wanted a hard copy anyways.

9. firemedic

firemedic Tele-Meister

Excellent beginner book, with lots of good tips & tricks. It didn't go into details on a lot of stuff I wanted it to & left me wanting more. OTOH I still refer to it occasionally when I'm a little stumped. It's a nice overview of tube amp operation.

10. dragonbat13

dragonbat13 Tele-Meister

Schematic reading can be learned by book, but it come much easier by experience if you ask me. If you are going to be working on something like the elect. power caps on a silverface, then read the book and when you want to do the job, follow the schematic and find the components as you change them. That will help you learn much easier.

As far as why people didnt like him, I suppose he was doing the mods in his book on things like all original vintage tweeds. Probably before the market went stupid crazy in price for them. I see amps today on the bay that were two thousand dollars more five years ago. That was also around the time I heard about him and got the book. Now the value of the amps are less and so is the value of the dollar. So inflation went up but the amps are cheaper in price. I blame internet hype, personally. So any five years ago, tweed amps are WAY overpriced, and these torres modified amps are showing up and everybody is upset. But when he did the mods you couldnt give the amps away because everybody wanted racks at the time. Older guitar players who followed gear over the years know about that. When I started, pedals were a crutch and you werent nothing if you didnt have a rack mount effects module powered by a stereo rackmount tube amp (god forbid it was hardwired) going into two 4X12 cabs. And you better have a wireless setup in that bar room also.

Now you are behind the times if your using a rack. Which of course means that now I want a tube amp driven rack system.

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The book is fine. All I ment by ruining the value of vintage amps was just that. If you make changes (other than service) to an old blackface or Marshall it will be worth less money. Alot less.
    Thankfully there are people too stupid to look inside an amp when they buy so sooner or latter it'll sell.

Like I said the book helped me to get the whole schmaitic thing down. After that the old tube manuals and such were alot easyer to read.
    Oh my copy is signed by the man himself.

12. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

I know where you are going .. but...

Some of his mods involve things like drilling a hole in the chassis (front panel!!) that .. yeah.. screw over the resale value of the amp.

That said.. if he suggests removing a bypass cap from a preamp stage.. well that is reversable.

I think I got my copy 2 or 3 years ago from Torres directly. Was like 30$ or something.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've had that book for years along with a dozen or so others. From a tech standpoint it's the one I refer to the least. While it does have some good basic amp operational explanations for the beginner, when he gets "technical" and starts working with math it's time to go get a cheeseburger.

If you simply use it as a frame-of-reference to help you understand how a tube guitar amp operates it's quite good. If you try to use it as a benchtop guide to amp maintenance or repair process you're likely to get yourself in trouble IMO, as information is either incomplete or strictly the author's opinion.

For example, his "not available anywhere else info that all the good guys use" (paraphrasing some of my most-disliked language) - like his bias charts - are pure bunk. They are arbitrary numbers based on HIS perception of what the "right" settings are.

Unfortunately, there ARE no "right" settings. There are only safe ranges based on other factors (which is too complicated a subject to hijack the thread with) and his number may work fine, may sound like crap, or may blow up something in your amp. Too much is left out.

And the random "here's a modification for a Traynor" (and others) tossed into the text in odd places can be really confusing - and useless.

So again, as a general reference it's OK (the rectifier section is interesting - just don't use it for making wholesale changes!). Just don't rewire things per the examples without doing thorough research via other sources.

Dan's gotten a bad rep (especially on the old newsgroup alt.guitar.amps) for "hack" (irreversible) modifications - but to give him a little benefit of the doubt, a lot of that work was done years before there was a "vintage amp market". OTOH, he IS a salesman, and his "mod kits" (that all the good guys use - snicker) are often $2.17 worth of parts and instructions you can find anywhere on the internet.

He just kinda runs hot and cold.

14. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Too many old classic amps were butchered, fair enough changing circuits but drilling holes all over chassis & faceplates have ruined too many. If you want a totally different sound change the amp!!

There was a rare '66 Super Reverb on Ebay last week, modded to four output tubes & probably a transformer or two changed, 6 or more holes added for various weird "boost" circuits, cab totally ruined with big plastic carry handles & a 15" speaker added.

I would have bought it to restore but it went for £390.00!! :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.