1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just Ordered a New Fender Player Strat...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stormsedge, Feb 14, 2021.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

...didn't need it. I'm so ashamed. It's pink...maybe I can pass it off as a Valentine's Day thing? The invoice just printed out at the printer by the CFO's desk...no response...yeto_O.

Btw...sale priced at GC (no affiliation)...and a couple of other colors. Cheers.

2. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Saw that 20% off pricing and ordered a Black player Strat myself. With prices rising, $599 is a great price on a $749 guitar.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. stormsedge

My CFO just cruised by and silently dropped the invoice at my work space...maybe if I take her to DQ today??

AlbertaGriff and Rocky058 like this.
  4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Silence is usually not a good sign...DQ is definitely in your future.

Wallaby, Jakedog and stormsedge like this.
  5. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Are they all $599? I saw the surf green and pink one are.

6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Shell Pink is a classic color in the Fender lineup. I wish more guys wouldn't be afraid to play them. I wish I could've bought the vintage one I played at Manny's 20+ years ago that got me hooked on that color.

68Telebass, Deathray, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  7. axmax

axmax TDPRI Member

Congrats, I just picked up a player tele last month and couldn’t be happier. I haven’t bought a new Fender in about 15 years (I’ve been happy with my gear) and man, I was extremely pleasantly surprised by the build quality and sound. I thought I was getting something similar to the 2006 era MIM guitars. Meanwhile IMO it plays significantly better, enough to justify the price increases since then (and more).

Hope you’re as happy with your new purchase as I am! PS I for sunburst with a Pau Ferro board.

stormsedge likes this.
  8. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Before ordering, I had to clear it with my Wonderfully Intelligent Financial Executive. (W.I.F.E.)

9. axmax

axmax TDPRI Member

I totally agree. I wish Fender would have two main categories of colours at all time - a “Classics” line and a “Modern” line. The shell pink is awesome, I am really partial to surf green. For the modern colours, I really like the graffiti yellow and Baltic blue.

Jakedog and Blues Twanger like this.
  10. stormsedge

Received my Player this AM. Just a slick and sweet sounding guitar. I am very pleased.

DB9689ED-BD66-4A50-85DB-674F7579A92D.jpeg 9E0EFBB6-980F-4441-B08F-7710AF2F105C.jpeg

11. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

It’s a beauty. HNGD

stormsedge likes this.
  12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

they have great pick ups.

stormsedge likes this.
  13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Love the colour. I used to have an AV56 in shell pink, beautiful guitar congrats.

stormsedge likes this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Meister

Congrats! Shell pink is cool. Strats are cool. Wives that accommodate GAS are cool. DQ is cool, especially Peanut Buster Parfait. So what’s the problem? Sounds like everything is coming together.

stormsedge and 68Telebass like this.
  15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very cool colour, congratulations!

stormsedge likes this.
  16. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Purchased one myself and all you really need to do is a set-up and perhaps locking tuners (fit like a glove)
    and you're in business. It's a fine player (no pun) and should last for years.

stormsedge likes this.
  17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

So, what are the pickups in a Mexican exactly? I just read a history of the stratocaster thing on Fenders website cuz I wanted to know more about the history of the pups. Apparently from the beginning they used alnico pups. 3 in the very beginning and switched to 5 only after a couple of years. I think maybe before it even was released to the public. I forget now. The alnico magnets are the pole pieces and of course the copper windings around them is how it works. It did say they are waxed coated too I think. Which I didn't really understand where the wax is. But from watching a video I gather it's around the alnico poles....

Anyways... I'm trying to learn more about pups, particularly Strat pups. I've got two cheaper strats that I've just been digging how they play lately and I either want to upgrade to a Mexican or get better pups for either one. They both have bar magnet pups. And they both sound VERY different, but sort of similar. LOL.

And yes, that is a super nice Strat. I bet you are excited to own that one!!!!! Good call on that and glad your wife didn't mind!!!!!

I actually love pink guitars. Well, the softer pink. When I was younger I thought it was weird that Flea played a light pink bass, but now that color would be at the top of my list if I saw one for sale.

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'm not super knowledgeable about p-ups. the p-ups on the player series strat are alnico V. to me, they sound exactly what i think a maple fretboard strat is supposed to sound like. it's a very attractive sound IMO.

earlier MIM strats had ceramic p-ups.

stormsedge and FortyEight like this.
  19. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

My 2005 MIM Strat Standard (HSS) had ceramic pickups. String bass but fizzy. I recently put a set of MIM Players Series pickups in it. Much smoother without the icepick-iness and it did lose some bass. But better balanced.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 12:36 AM
  20. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like DQ just fine but I think you're gonna have to kick things up a notch or two for the CFO ... silent invoice drops require at least a fine Italian establishment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.