Just orderd some Don Mare pickups for my new tele build... Any fans?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Johnny Morales, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

hey, sorry for your troubles, with all manufacturing of pickups there is a 5% rejection rate across the board ... if my customers call me, I'll take are of them asap.. sorry for your trouble, ok

2. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Don, thanks for that, I bought these 2nd hand, so I didn't feel the need to call you. It was much easier to simply put the better pickups (to my ear) back in the guitar and sell the Hayrides to someone else.

Even though I think chocolate is great, not everyone likes the same type of ice cream.

3. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

ahh, thanks
    this is not an uncommon thing, as people will sometimes resale a damaged or reject, or they themselves alter the pickups and then pass them off on ebay etc.. instead of contacting me for a fix or replacement. i do see this happen a few times every year. sad but true, sorry you had a bummer exp, DM

EDIT: I wanted to also say, Ive bought back pickups that were in-question as flawed or rejecting, to keep them from bouncing from one guy to the next, but some guys do not know that the pickup might be bad, and assume that they are fully operational and do not call me, and just sell em, thinking they were duped by the hype/reviews? i dunno..but theres not a whole lot anyone of us can do, as these are hand made and hand wound, theres always a chance a dud will get in the mix with the fireworks.. ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. JTM45blues

Or they may have been made just fine and they simply didn't sound good to my ear.

5. ermac68

ermac68 Tele-Meister

With this kind of customer service I think I know where I'm getting my next set of pickups.

6. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Super Sport bridge, S-Telley neck

[​IMG]

It's a keeper.

7. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Banned

I built a white lefty 60's tele meant to be a tribute to the Tele guitar used by Jeff Beck in The Yardbirds of which Jimmy Page repossessed and made into the "Dragon" tele which is so highly spoken of on the web. It has a lefty Zep O Tones live pup set which is just absolutely phenomenal sounding. This guitar has the option stringing by top loading or going through the body (with titanium ferrules). The controls are a prewired RS Guitar Works setup with Oak Grigsby 4 way switch, Jensen Copper foil PIO .047uF tone cap, and upgraded pots. The saddles are threaded steel (like metal screws) and the neck utilizes threaded inserts which makes for a tighter (neck pocket/body fit) and increases the resonance and sustain of the guitar. It makes me wish all my Fender guitars had this option.

This comment is meant for the gentlemen above who wasn't impressed with his Don Mare Hayride set. KEEP THEM! and try rotating them to another tele body with a different body (wood density/type) you might be pleasantly surprised and glad you didn't part with your Hayrides. I have experienced this with pickups that I fell out of love with when swapping them to another guitar. Many times it's the density of, or type of wood used which either enlivens the sound or makes it unacceptable to the ears.

8. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, that's what I call stand up..

9. JTM45blues

Sam,

Thanks for the suggestions, however both my Teles are USA Custom Guitars feather weight swamp ash bodies and both have maple necks. One is more of a Broadcaster style (Van Zandt flatpole) with a huge neck and brass saddles. The other is more like a 57 style (OC Duff Buckaroos with light potting) with Glendale twang saddles and smaller neck. Both are great guitars, the Broadcaster style is great at rockabilly, honky tonk and rock and the other is more of a country twang machine. I specifically wanted them to be different and have different specialties.

10. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Banned

If I build a tele or a strat that's what I specifically shoot for as well, that each guitar has its own tonal personality f.e. three of my strats have different single coil manufacturers involved (as well as magnet types). One strat has Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hots with A2 magnets. The second strat has Illusion 56' Reproduction Strat pups with A3 magnets, and the third strat has The Pickup Whiz Custom 69' set with A5 magnets.

11. bluetweed

bluetweed TDPRI Member

Dons are the best and I have had all the builders. He just gets Tele right!
    I am a month in waiting for a 2way Stangray and Zwangzilla. I am stoked!

12. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Banned

Of all the custom pup winders selling pickups today, that would make you quite a rich person to have had ALL of the builders pups. In which event you'd be better served to wind pups for yourself, and save your millions.

13. bluetweed

bluetweed TDPRI Member

Funny Guy!

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I love mine. I forget what kind they are, or what the specs are, but we talked on the phone for a long while, which helped him zero in on what it was that I needed. He's great to talk to and loves his work, and customers. I recommend a phone chat, so that he can get a feel for what you need. I don't know if he's the best out there, but I sure have been pleased with mine. They are "real" and "natural," whatever the heck I mean by that.

15. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I'm seriously considering a set of Joel Foy's for my '51 Nocaster Relic. Anyone have any experience with them?

16. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

Don wound a 0038 Keef-o-caster for me back around Christmas time and it was worth the wait and money spent. Probably the most outstanding bridge pickup I have ever heard/owned/played. Very happy with it and would go to Don again if the need ever arose for a different flavor wind.

17. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Banned

Don is one serious cat (meow). I talked with him on the phone several times at length and he's very focused on customer requirements and achieving those results from said customer parameters. To replicate certain pup models accurately and duplicitively time after time and consistently is a quite a feat. Part of the magic that Don will agree with is winding tension as well as winding patterns used that result in single coils with that vintage airy tone. Kudos to Don and for consistently reproducing excellent single coils time after time. That's why I said earlier if a person doesn't like Don Mare pickups they need to retry those pups in one or more guitars to verify that it's the guitar and not the pups. Meaning that not all pickups sound great when used with one specific guitar. Every guitar has it's own voice and some pups are more subject to providing more of those voicings.

18. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Great lookin' guitar there!

19. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

i once got a mare bridge pickup i wasn't happy with, and don would not rest until he wound me my perfect set. after hearing his replacement, i'm convinced that first pickup was faulty. the dude's about the nicest guy i've ever met. his pickups have a real cool vibe to them; almost like little instruments themselves. he's not afraid to get crazy either, my bridge pup has a few different kinds of wire all wound on one bobbin to achieve the sound i wanted (gretsch jangle in a tele). the neck pup is sort of a stratotone pup in a tele lipstick case. don mare is the best in the business for sure.

20. peterdjp

peterdjp TDPRI Member

Just got an 0038 11.5 with a tap at 7.5. Best of both worlds! have it on a push/pull. Fantastric tone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.