Just one guitar..could you (would you) do it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Grateful Ape, Nov 18, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think humanity has been changed by the internet and social media, a sort of consumerist ADHD where we cannot imagine not having a computer in our pocket and checking it regularly to see what we might be missing.

As a result, we may be missing the deeper connection to friends that are actually in our lives, raising our kids, connecting with our mates, and getting full musical expression from one guitar.

Think of sax players, violinists, acoustic guitarists; are they able to make varied sounding compelling interesting music without constantly switching between different settings on their gear?
    And given that the typical electric has at least three switched sounds, plus tone controls, plus pedal boards, plus amp settings including clean and distorted:

Is it possible that today's obsession with buying more and more guitars is maybe not a musical need as much as a consumerist sickness?

I'm certainly afflicted, but try really hard to keep my relationship with my gear as simple as possible.
    Failing but trying!

Actually, my Esquires get me plenty of sounds, so why have several?

Evil Funk, middy and tfarny like this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If only 2 Tele and Martin dreadnought.

middy likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

For many years I lived in basically a rehearsal space in Brooklyn, and had a full drum set, bass gear, lots of guitars and amps, and recording gear, all set up so I could grab musicians off the street to come in and play music.
    Two bands lived and rehearsed on the floor of one of my loft buildings, plus a wacko performance artist who liked to hurt guitars now and then and had friends who could actually play them.
    Kept cheaper guitars and a Hondo bass for the crazies...
    Brooklyn in the '90s...

I would literally invite strangers over at all hours of day or night.
    Not everyone got invited back!
    Another place I lived I would have strangers knock on the door because they heard music and wanted to check it out and maybe join in. That place was known as Hell House. My band rehearsed in my bedroom, where the drummer kept her kit.
    Most of us were musicians and in bands.

So yeah, it's good to have gear for others to play!
    Or a place to play where others leave their gear...

BobbyB and P Thought like this.
  4. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I be fine with 3 (2 teles and an acoustic). I could muddel through with 2. One would be hard. Really hard.

5. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I could feasibly do it but I'd want more.

I have a bigger problem with having more than one of the same type of guitar. It's a mental block.

6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I ask myself that exact stupid question every day.

I have nine, four acoustics and five electrics, have had for quite a while now. My limit is ten; I'm saving a spot for an acoustic a friend of mine might build.

I've been through probably thirty guitars to arrive at these nine. Ten years ago I had only two, a dreadnought and a classical, both Takamines, that I'd bought new in 1976 and 1980 respectively. That first dread is long gone (long story), and I can't part with the classical--it has a long story too--even though I don't play it very much. Those two got me started being a Takamine nut, which might be a mental illness, but I've lived with it.

My first electric, bought I think in 2008, came from the mid-'80s when Takamine briefly built solidbody electrics. It's my only guitar with humbuckers, and although I've developed a preference for wider, fatter necks, it won't draw enough money to overcome the regret I'd have if I sold it.

About ten years ago I discovered the Takamine Forum online, my first taste of internet guitar madness. That started my GAS attack, and the rash of Takamine purchases that led eventually to my other three "keeper" acoustics--a twelve string and two acoustic/electrics--and also, ironically, to TDPRI.

A Takamine Forum member steered me here, particularly to the Tele Home Depot, when I was wondering how I might come up with an electric guitar with a wide, fat neck. I wound up building five "blueprint" teles altogether, one of which I gave to my son. The other four are all special to me, partly because I built them, and partly because of their various combinations of single- and twin-, tele and P-90 pickups. For me they are honorary Taks.

There's my nine "keepers". I've held it down on amps, too: a twin 12-inch for electrics, a 12-inch acoustic, and a small battery-powered modeler for traveling and possible busking.

Could
    I get by with one guitar? Yes. I have become interested in developing my musicianship. But after I got down to about six or seven--I could part with the twelve-string and the Takamine electric--there is no way I can decide which one goes next, or which one stays in the end.

So would I cut down that far? Not voluntarily, and not by myself. Shoot, I don't think I could even pare down to one brand of pick!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    telemnemonics likes this.
  7. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Could do with my Perlman acoustic and either my old 335 or mutt Nashville, but wouldn't willingly part with either. Everything else is pretty expendable...

8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Buy another rack !

mimmo and AAT65 like this.
  9. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Now that is a plan which I do like the sound of..!

10. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

For years my only guitar was a '76 Gibson LP Custom. I currently have 16 guitars/basses and couldn't do it with one now as I'm the guitar player in one band and bass player in another. Gotta have backups, right?

11. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

I don't think I would do one, but here's where I'm heading:

Guitar side:
    • Parts Tele, Fender '62 pickups, Warmoth conversion neck
    • Epiphone LP Standard Plustop Pro, Duncan Phat Cats
    • Yamaha dreadnought
    • On the bubble: Parts Strat, Warmoth conversion neck (all done but the wiring; I'm about to steal the Hipshot tuners for my Tele)
    Bass side:
    • Jazz Bass, Warmoth neck
    • Squier Bronco, several mods in progress
    • On the bubble: Ash P-Bass, Warmoth body, Fender Mexi neck

12. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I could survive with just my tele but it’s more fun to have 5 teles. I have 11 guitars and I love them all and use them all about the same.

View attachment 563843

13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It's sort of like going to a bar and having only one beer. For some reason I've just never been able to accomplish that.

ricardo1912 likes this.
  14. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Hi - I am intrigued by this discussion, as I recently got back into playing after a long break.

So the first thing I did was sell my 1981 Bullet (it sounded rubbish), which self funded a MIM Player Tele (which sounds fab, and I can’t put it down).

A couple of months later, and a compensation payment has gone on a Jaguar.

So along with my 1978 Precision Bass, I have three great guitars. And no kidding, I am not particularly good (compared to most on this Forum).

So what’s going on ?

Bearing in mind my Pro days are well behind me, I put it down to a lifelong love of arts & craftsmanship, quality and sonics.

Every time I find a tone, on whatever I am playing makes it worth it.

Could I just have the one ? Yes, but I sure am playing more since I have been inspired by the variations.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In a slow paring down, I bought a 7 guitar stand. And told myself I would never have more than fit in that stand.

I’m down to 5. 3 electrics and 2 acoustics. “Down”. Riiiiight . . .

I just got tired of looking for an excuse to play a particular guitar.

I could easily do one electric and one acoustic. My Sitka/mahogany acoustic and my ‘335. Most guys I play with have played the same guitar or bass or drum kit forever, and only that one.

I doubt I’ll get there. 5 seems manageable. They are all different, to a degree:
    - solid body
    - semi-hollow
    - Bigsby
    - ‘Hog acoustic
    - RW acoustic

But I recognize those differences are really splitting hairs. 90% of the time when I reach for something else, after awhile I wanna be playing the ‘335. And it gets most of the rehearsals and shows lately. But I love all of them so unless forced by circumstance to do otherwise, I’ll keep them.

16. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I only have my one American Special Tele and about 40 years of life left (God willing) so an ES 335 may just have to be added in 2019. To me, it's Gibson's version of the Tele - supremely versatile.

I do have a great acoustic guitar - my 1998 Froggy Bottom P-12. I will never want or need another acoustic guitar for sure.

17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Sometimes we're forced into just one.

Since my 45 yr old S.Yairi I bought new and put in an easy 10,000 hrs of playing got ripped off a couple months ago, I now have two guitars, but one of those is greatly in need of electronics since I gutted it, so that leaves me with one, the best one.

I bought my ASAT Special new in '96. It's a three bolt neck. It's a fine guitar and and my 1st choice when running out the door. It works great for fingerstyle jazz as well as killer blues, and everything else.

I'm very happy with my #1, but everyday I cry for my beautiful acoustic. Some day I would like a nice Tele.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/MexYBGUYVGb5SBQw6

18. Evil Funk

Evil Funk Tele-Meister

I absolutely agree.

I sold everything and only have a Fender American Elite Tele that goes straight in to my Z-Wreck with no pedals. It allows me to develop myself as a player, instead of as a collector. I have $3k set aside for my acoustic purchase for when i'm ready (or rather, when i get the okay from the wife).

I have a friend who is in 2 bands at the moment and plays out a few times a week (i used to do that about 20 years ago. only one band at a time for me now lol). He's in a great country band as well as an 80's cover band. He uses a fantastic and versatile tube amp. He brings 5 guitars and a pedalboard of about 12 effects.

I have never seen him use anything other than his #1 guitar and the wah pedal.

middy likes this.
  19. Ragnar

Ragnar TDPRI Member

I went from 10 electric guitars to 2 recently. I am now back up to 4 and feeling guilty about it. However, if I absolutely had to make a call, I would have to choose my Fender Strat Blackie model. That thing is the single most versatile guitar I have ever played, thanks to the onboard electronics. Does cleans very well, and just screams when you need it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  20. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I have one Telecaster.
    One pickup truck.
    One girlfriend.
    I guess you could say I am at one with all.
    My cup runneth over.

Evil Funk and middy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.