1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just one guitar..could you (would you) do it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Grateful Ape, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

So Chez Ape, we have four electrics and a couple of acoustics. In that little lot, there are a couple of 'premier brands.' Here's the thing: I only ever gig with one of them, and furthermore, it's the one I play all the time at home.

This got me thinking: should I just cut my losses and sell the rest? (Well, except one cheap acoustic my folks bought me.) I men, I spent the first ten years of my guitar playing life in this situation. I've tried lots of good guitars over the years, and I can think of couple of great ones that I let slip away - I've never had the money when I've come across them. But I've not come across anything to touch my strat in many years. (late 90's Am Dlx fwiw.)

I'd welcome your thoughts. Anyone else done this?

Ash Telecaster and CV Jee Beez like this.
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It's an individual/personal choice, for sure.

I am quite certain that I could do quite well with just one electric and one acoustic, even as much as my band gigs, practices, and stays busy.

The problem is, and you hit upon it, we grow sentimental attachments to our guitars.

I have an Epiphone acoustic that I bought brand new in 1976. It's a beat-up FT120, and nobody in their right mind would want it but me.

I have a Kramer Ferrington that my dear mom (God rest her soul) and my brother bought for me on my 27th birthday in 1986. I can't part with it.

One of my bass guitars.....
    It's a black ESP LTD, nothing special.
    Except that our drummer Bob loved it, and he got out from behind the drum kit on a song or two over the years and played it.
    I can't let that bass go, especially since (tragically) Bob died of cancer just nine months ago.

My ukulele;
    My then girlfriend, now wife, bought it for me, and we have so much history with it.

My Takamine acoustic, same thing.
    Beth bought it for me for Christmas ten years ago.
    Even if I wanted to sell it, she would be hurt by my letting it go off into somebody else's hands.
    And I play it at nearly every live gig.

It's complicated, I guess that's what I am saying.
    :(

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I only had one guitar for many years. I don't recommend it.

4. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Ok: so if you only have (or thus far have only found) one guitar that really speaks to you, would you just pick up something cheap for backup?

5. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I could survive with my AmPro Tele and Faith acoustic..........out of my 9 guitars

6. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

But if I don't keep buying Telecasters surely Fender will go out of business? :):lol:

Seriously, though, I tend to play one or two guitars and often wonder why I don't offload the others. Despite enjoying all of them at one time or another I've found a couple of Teles over the past few years that I simply cannot fault and the rest now just take up room.

Kreepy likes this.
  7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

The thing you aren’t considering here is that needs and preferences change over time in unpredictable ways. Even if you think otherwise.

jonton2, Evil Funk, Gene O. and 2 others like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

A big NO!

The last time I had just one guitar was 1973. I did briefly cut back to 2 in a early 90's gear purge but that mistake didn't last long.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I look back on 45 years of playing guitar and man I have changed. I started down the Les Paul / Big Amp route and finally ended up desiring to play a telecaster. Now my one guitar really could be a telecaster. But tomorrow?

RevBillyG, LPTyler and bcorig like this.
  10. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

The problem here is that to my ears, really great guitars are few and far between. Lots of good-to-acceptable ones.

tomas83 likes this.
  11. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

After having as many as 12 guitars, I’m down to three electrics and one of them is for sale. Between the two remainders, that would be a tough choice to make. I can’t see myself with one, but I’d be happy with two or maybe three these days.

greenhornet and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Holic

No. Next question.

13. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

If it is a Burns Of London yes I could. :twisted:

[​IMG]

14. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No. I need to have enough guitars around so I can drive myself crazy picking which one to play.

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

NO!

But if I were to have an extended stay abroad and they'd tell me I could take only one with me it's either gonna be my Fender CP-100 Parlor
    [​IMG]

or my Frankenstein Strat (Squier body and SX Neck) "Donna."
    Bluestrat.JPG Donna's original neck had a broken trussrod. With her new SX neck she plays and sounds so good.

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Shirking an abundance of guitars to have just one? Why...it's positively UNCOUTH!!!

I could. But hopefully I'll never have to. Attached to all of mine now.

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a cool guitar, but I wonder, seeing as how the Marvin model is based on the design and the concept of a Strat, would anybody use it for anything else but Shadows material?

How would Jimi Hendrix tunes or later day Eric Clapton material sound on a Burns Marvin? Heck why shouldn't you play some Deep Purple songs on a Burns Marvin?

18. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

my SG or Japan Ibanez..either or, just as long i get my DSL40cr rig

19. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I could not, would not with a mouse,
    I could not, would not in a house,
    I could not go both near or far,
    I could not have just one guitar.

20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

No, I don’t think I could cope with just one.
    I don’t like having so many guitars that they don’t all get playing-time — a guitar locked in a case is a sad waste. But it’s been 30 years since I only had one electric and I don’t see me cutting back below the current 4 electrics. (And 1 bass and 3 acoustics.)
    On the other hand I can’t buy any more without trading in, I think, because I bought a nice 7-guitar rack which is full up...
    [​IMG]

NewKid and Brucesu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.