Just noticed that my pickup magnets are barely under the low E string on my partscaster build. Haha.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by _MementoMori_, Jun 15, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Visually it bothers the crap out of me, but there is no loss of sound transfer. At least not at a level that my ear can hear. I wonder if it's worth trying to loosen the neck a little and fudge everything over. It intonates perfectly now and I wouldn't want to compromise any of that. How many of you guys are just living with this scenario?

2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

A picture would help. But it probably doesn't matter, except to the extent it bothers you to look at (and I don't completely discount that as important!)!

Boreas and _MementoMori_ like this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I'd let it be. You'll never see it while you're playing, and you'll eventually forget about it (there's something about working on a guitar that makes us hyper-focused on every little thing, and attach huge importance to it, but it fades quickly once the project is done). You'll be more bothered later if you screw something up to "fix" something so insignificant.

I have this "issue" with my Esquire, which started as a Squier Tele that someone later slapped a Bigsby on (complete with Jazzmaster-style rocking bridge). Between all that, an aftermarket pickup, and some neck-jiggling to get the strings in line with the neck, I'm just glad the thing is playable. To hell with how the strings look over the pickup.

etype, MickM and _MementoMori_ like this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If it sounds good - play it. If the looks bother you, fix it. Most of mine are "close enough".

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  5. _MementoMori_

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

look really closely with your eyes closed and your ears open.. preferably with someone else playing... that way you can "see" the most intricate details.. and you will find it's just not an issue.

Generally when you see something that looks like it will be detrimental to the voice of the guitar, you're looking with the wrong "eyes". You cannot see how a guitar sounds..

r

MickM, stnmtthw and SRHmusic like this.
  7. _MementoMori_

It does sound good. I can detect no loss of signal. There's a real hotshot guy here in town who has worked on guitars for The Edge and other big name players. I might ask him if he thinks it's worth messing with. I probably should've had him set it up for me instead of the place I took it to.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

The pole of a pickup doesn't need to be centered under a string. But I get that aesthetically we expect it. If you're really annoyed but don't want to do anything in a rush just wait until next time you change strings and see if it moves a little. Or replace it with a rail or covered pickup?

9. _MementoMori_

Oh my God you're a genius.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Just about spit my coffee. But hey, it's not a problem, it's an opportunity to buy something.

11. Boreas

Send us a coupla pix. It could be easily tweakable. If it is just the one string, it could be a simple saddle issue.

12. _MementoMori_

I linked to my build thread a couple'a posts up from here. Let me know if those pics don't illustrate the issue well enough.

13. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The magnetic fields are pretty wide, so probably doesn't matter. That said, from the photos in your other thread, the high E string is quite close to the edge of the fingerboard, and the low E has a lot more space. You might want to tap the headstock sideways lightly, with strings loosened and the neck bolts backed off a bit to better center the string angles. Just the outer two strings need to be tight enough to check. Can't tell from the photo, but the saddles might be a little over to one side, too. That looks like it could center the strings better over the pickups, with the main benefit of making the high E less likely to slip off the edge.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  14. Boreas

Whoops - scanned right past that. Looks like the body-mount neck pup is a gnat's eyelash off. I would remove the pickguard and carefully poosh that puppy over a little until it lines up. Hopefully the pickguard will give you enough wiggle room.

15. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Meister

This
    I’ll bet that if you reset the neck so that the strings are centered it will take care of the alignment over the pickup too.

16. _MementoMori_

It does seem like the most likely solution. I might tackle it this weekend after a little bottled courage, haha.

17. Boreas

Also forgot to note - make sure you are happy with the neck alignment first as others have mentioned. I usually just eyeball the dots.

18. Ronkirn

let's see some photos...

r

19. _MementoMori_

20. Ronkirn

give the headstock a light wrap with your hand towards the Bass side... note the G and D strings as they are aligned with the position markers... that's you primary issue.. the necks miss-aligned just a crack and do not sweat it's as common as Roaches in a camp ground... the neck pocket has one side pushing against the neck with no alternate side on the other side of the neck.. thus the neck normally gets pushed slightly toward the treble side and needs correcting...

doing so will cause the strings to move slightly toward the Bass side.. aligning the strings with everything ..

r

SRHmusic, etype and _MementoMori_ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.