Just Not Feeling My Tele - Considering Selling

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Log_Jam, Feb 20, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Cool guitar, and they're not many of them loose in the world. You can solve a long-standing question for me, since you have the orignal pickups. What are they? Are they Gibson's Dirty Fingers pickups? Covers or no covers?

I was in a guitar store in 1979 and they had several models from the Gibson "custom shop," which at that time was just skilled luthiers supervising short runs on the production line. These were runs of 250, the store had only one of each, and an LP KM like yours was hanging on the wall. It was the only example I've seen or heard of that was clearly, undeniably engraved "KZ" on the truss rod cover. Apparently meaning KalamaZoo instead of KalaMazoo. All other examples I seen pics of say "KM." My recollection is that it was basically an LP Standard with Dirty Fingers pickups.

Other "custom shop" short run guitars had Dirty Fingers pickups: a Melody Maker-bodied KZ II with a clear finish over the mahogany and an SG Exclusive with a 9-piece neck and 7-piece body with seams perfectly visible under the black lacquer that was already sinking into the grain. I don't know why I bought it, as I really don't care for SGs. An LP Custom II was a weird mix of Custom level, mid-level, and economy-level features in a guitar called Custom, so I don't know what their goal was for that model. There was a badly-made Firebird with gold hardware and bleached mahogany body. When the "wings" had gone through the shaper to cut the V-shaped joints, both ends chipped out on both wings. It was put together with big globs of wood filler in the chipped areas, this being extremely visible under the clear finish. Classy! o_O

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Elimination of/utilization of excess parts/inventory?

Corporate: “Put all those parts and all that wood to use...I don’t care how!”

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If the Tele is all stock then it's easy to sell.

If you've already modded it so it's not stock, then a few more mods may not hurt the value any (and can be swapped back):

-4-way switch (having this option on-board is a fantastic addition and it's around $11 for the switch)
    -test different pots and caps (I've rescued flippers into keepers with a cap change alone).
    -different pickups.

Usually, the reason I don't reach for a guitar is the tone is uninspiring in some way. Find out what that is and fix it. Can you make the Tele sound more like the Strat? Not to just duplicate guitars but that's the sonic window you are aiming for.

4. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

I don’t keep guitars around that I am not bonding with. Sounds like you should sell it and keep an eye out for a Tele you would actually like to play.

There’s also no rule that says you have to have a Tele or even more than one guitar. I have been operating with one electric for a couple of years now, because I tend to be dissatisfied with the second and sell it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Log_Jam likes this.
  5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've regretted selling pretty much every guitar I ever sold, even ones I thought I didn't like at the time. Just sayin'. BUT, I did recently get rid of a stratocaster that I don't miss. Sooooo....

Log_Jam likes this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

The amount of times I've sold good solid Teles, and then regretted it afterwards. I've got one now and it's not leaving anytime soon. I actually feel naked not owning one.

NewKid likes this.
  7. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

I'm kind of teetering on that edge, too. I realize that all I really need are my Epi Les Paul Plustop Pro (beefy tone) and my new Fender Mustang (airy tone). But selling your Tele seems like a big step.

8. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

I didn't start with telecasters until a year ago. Forty years of playing avoiding them the whole way. I had a track that needed "that sound". Ended up playing just about every Tele at Sam Ash. One talked to me and it went home.

My thinking at the time was that I would use the thing once for the track then it would go in the closet, but I liked the neck so much that I forced myself to get it to do more than a lead on a country song.

Long story short, I now understand why people like them. It is a fight at first if you are used to playing strats and LP's but it is worth it. I can play any genre on mine now. You just have to learn the quirks. Half the time I have a tele in hand, the other times an LP. My strats are gathering dust. I personally think Leo got it right the first time.

My advise would be force yourself to play it for a week. Don't play any other guitars. If you don't fall in love with it at that point, it is not for you.

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Lately it's been my Strat that hasn't been doing much for me. But I know these things run in cycles so it stays here

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I have a 2013 Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe, which I had gear-lusted over for quite a while before pulling the trigger.

I like the sound.
    I love the looks (after I spent some money on some cosmetic tweaks).
    But the feel is off...not off like, “there’s something broken or wrong,” but off like, “this pair of shoes was not made for feet like mine.”

I’ve spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what is wrong...the weight and balance aren’t the issue...the neck profile is very similar to my #1 Telecaster...

But there’s something weird about how the neck and body meet. These are the made-in-China Modern Player Telecasters that have the 22-fret neck (not usually a problem) which was accomplished by having a deeper (longer?) neck pocket. I don’t know why that messes with the feel, or if that’s even the problem, but it ultimately makes me less happy with the guitar.

So it’ll probably end up on Reverb eventually...

What’s the point?

If you have a guitar that’s not speaking to you—even if you like it overall—go ahead and get that instrument into the hands of somebody who will love and use it properly.

Straydogger and Log_Jam like this.
  11. Log_Jam

Log_Jam TDPRI Member

Well, if I have to pick out things...
    1) I don't like selector switch - but I could learn to live with it. Being picky here.
    2) I don't like not having a trem to use when I want on a guitar that doesn't provide me any meaningful uniqueness over my Strat.
    I realize other pups, etc could make it different but probably not enough. If I'm going to have it it my hands and it's instead of another guitar, I want it to be for reasons other than just because I can.

That being said, I could see myself owning another one if it offers something my other guitars can't - perhaps trying a RI, etc later on might give me that.

Not sure if they're DF's. How do I tell?
    They are cream colored - no covers.

I did this when I first got it. Played the heck out of it. I'll give it another whirl but....

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Them's Dirty Fingers. Had the same in my SG Exclusive. They sounded like sludge, to me, without enough definition to compensate for their high inductance.

13. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm in the sell camp-although if it were me, I'd put a white guard on it and keep it

14. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

I've pretty much been a humbucker/Gibson guy my whole life. I had Strats and sold them. Had a Squier Tele and sold it. Just couldn't bond with those. Bought a Les Paul Studio and while it played nice I couldn't bond with it either. I have an Ibanez AS73 that I upgraded pickups on and love it. Also, an SG that I've doctored up and that's a keeper too. Now I have a Fender Nashville Custom Tele (my avatar) and it's my number one. Strat pickup in the middle and a 12" radius neck like a Gibson. It just feels right and sounds great. Can't think of a guitar that I had and sold and wished I had it back. It's up to you whether to keep or sell. Makes it a tough decision when the money could be used elsewhere. Good luck.

15. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

My philosophy on instrument acquisition is that I sell anything I don't play. For long periods of time in my life, I've only had one guitar so that was never an issue. But if I don't play it at least once a week, there doesn't seem to be enough justification for me to keep an instrument.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

you are a Strat Person

go, by the grace of God go, and may St. Leo intercede on your behalf for mercy

17. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

Sir, step away from the Tele.

18. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Every time I sell a guitar, I miss it and end up replacing it. Guess that's why I have 30 guitars, most of which don't get any play time. But it's cheaper to keep 'em than it is to buy, sell and repeat. Some people make money that way, or say they do, but it's never worked for me. Every time I buy new and sell, I lose about a third of what I paid for it. You've only got three guitars. As far as I can tell, that's at least 10 short of a problem. Take the Tele off the wall, put it in a case and put it away somewhere. It will still live in your mind and one day you'll drag it out and think, "why did I ever put this away?" Anyway, good luck with the decision.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Now you see what happens when you don’t get a 50’s Baja?

:)

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some people here will tell you, an American Standard Telecaster is actually FMIC's idea of a stand in for the American Standard Hardtail Strat they quit selling back in I think 2006. No need to make both, they figured.

There are Fender Telecaster models that aren't like that. They're a "classic" concept T style as opposed to a "modern" one. So, you could try out a Classic concept Tele and see if you don't see that is actually unique compared to the Strats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.