Just need to vent

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Mark the Moose, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Over the past five years, I've made pickup swaps, built a tele, built four pedalboards with all the trimmings, built two tube amps, built dozens of stomp boxes of a variety of ilks...but in the past few months I've built four pedals in a row that didn't work and I was never able to successfully trouble shoot them. All were from verified strip board layouts with comments about how great it sounded. No dice, no go, no joy on the X.

I expect the occasional swing and a miss, but this is a frustrating slump.

2. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

I can imagine.

3. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was in the technology world for about 20 years, mostly server maintenance. I had days where everything I touched turned to gold. And I had days where nothing I put my hands on worked the way I knew it should. Funny how the universe works . . . .

zippofan likes this.
  4. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear that man, I've been in a slump before too and it was frustrating. I built a Phase pedal from an old "cookbook" from the library and never got it to work at all, and I double-checked the layout probably 7 times. I eventually chucked the board and decided I didn't want a Phase pedal anyway.

I'd give it a week or two to refresh your head, then go at just one of them with microscopic attention, double-checking continuity and checking for shorts at every junction. You'll probably find a trace you didn't drill out fully, a dead component that slipped past your attention, a part or two that were swapped accidentally, a component leg that didn't go in the hole you intended, etc.

If you've already done all that, feel free to ignore me and chuck the cursed thing in the nearest memory hole.

Cyberi4n, zippofan and chazo64 like this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I'm not that good with Veroboard and really only built a few using it, a fuzz and a DOD 250 clone. I like perfboard a little better and built a few but I usually search online for a board of a circuit I would like to try. I've messed up a few but I take a break for a bit and just play the ones I built. I've built too many!

It is a lot of fun to create circuits and different tones from our instruments, I just need to plug in my guitar as much as turn on my soldering iron. I learned a couple recognizable songs too which is cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.