Just musing...

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
I've noticed over the years that there is a similarly between personal relationships, especially romantic relationships...and guitar ownership.

Many times there have been guitars that I've liked the look of and imagined having, but when I actually got one I didn't like it at all.

Other times I've come across a new guitar that seemed the best thing ever and I'd think 'this is the one' and not be able to put it down for a few weeks...but after a while I'd get kind of bored with it and find myself not into it. Later on I'd look back and it was like 'what was I thinking?'

There are a few guitars...that I still have...that I bought after carefully considering the pros and cons, considering successes and mistakes in the past, having a bit of a tryout and liked the look of (colour). Maybe had to make a few changes to them over time, but overall they worked fine and still do.

Then, a few months ago I got a guitar....a Tokai SG Junior...and soon regretted it because it did NOT suit me. Something about the distance of the P90 from the bridge just made it uncomfortable since I kept bumping it with my right hand. I started to intensely dislike it. I put it up for sale and while waiting for a buyer I played it occasionally kind of out of annoyance because it was 'there' and in case it didn't sell and I was stuck with it (2nd hand market is slow at the moment). I started finding that if I approach playing it 'this way' it was tolerable...and then found that it was becoming the guitar I took off the wall the most.
Not selling it now. It's become a keeper.

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
Here's a picture for anybody curious...

20211130_181309.jpg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have lots of nice guitars.
I have a few that are indispensable.
Of the sixteen I own, six are “safe”.
Safe meaning I don’t consider selling them, ever.
I do have a “relationship” with them.
They are my best working tools.
The rest are recreational.
They’re beautiful, or are similar to the instruments the heroes of my youth played.
My present workhouse is a kinda rough looking partscaster.
My acoustic James Goodall RCJC, my avatar guitar, Cabronita, P bass, Gretsch Chet, and Les Paul Custom are the safe “Dirty Half Dozen”.
They rest come and go.
I guess I just like playing with guitars.
Heck, I don’t guess, I know!

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Interesting comparison by the OP about relationship guitar-player and (romantic) relationship person-person.
I would just add that in a real life relationship (with people) this is impossible or at least very hard to do:
Maybe had to make a few changes to them over time
;)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've noticed over the years that there is a similarly between personal relationships, especially romantic relationships...and guitar ownership.

Many times there have been guitars that I've liked the look of and imagined having, but when I actually got one I didn't like it at all.

Other times I've come across a new guitar that seemed the best thing ever and I'd think 'this is the one' and not be able to put it down for a few weeks...but after a while I'd get kind of bored with it and find myself not into it. Later on I'd look back and it was like 'what was I thinking?'

There are a few guitars...that I still have...that I bought after carefully considering the pros and cons, considering successes and mistakes in the past, having a bit of a tryout and liked the look of (colour). Maybe had to make a few changes to them over time, but overall they worked fine and still do.

Then, a few months ago I got a guitar....a Tokai SG Junior...and soon regretted it because it did NOT suit me. Something about the distance of the P90 from the bridge just made it uncomfortable since I kept bumping it with my right hand. I started to intensely dislike it. I put it up for sale and while waiting for a buyer I played it occasionally kind of out of annoyance because it was 'there' and in case it didn't sell and I was stuck with it (2nd hand market is slow at the moment). I started finding that if I approach playing it 'this way' it was tolerable...and then found that it was becoming the guitar I took off the wall the most.
Not selling it now. It's become a keeper.
I can only WISH a romantic relationship could be as easily managed as guitar ownership! ;););)

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
I'd like a dirty half dozen romantic relationships. But can't imagine the expense, headache of maintenance and lack of peace and quiet. It would be like having Ted Nugent's marshall stack blasting you in the bathroom every time you stepped in your office for some peace and quiet.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I can only WISH a romantic relationship could be as easily managed as guitar ownership! ;););)

One of my former clients, and a good friend proved himself to be among the greatest philosophers of our time one day with this remark. "You know ese, they ought to keep all the boy cows in one pen, and the girl cows in another pen, until they get to be about thirty years old, then let 'em out and let 'em make each other miserable."

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have a crappe tonne of pedals, same thing. Maybe I should sell some before people realize used pedals aren’t supposed to cost that much. Or maybe I keep them. Any 10 or so would get me a guitar I could fall out of love with.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've found the perfect guitar the tone it emits is what I've been seeking all of my life. BUUUUTTTT, I know when I get my pedal board with ten pedals hooked up to it, I can VASTLY improve the guitar's sound.

Reactions: TG

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Once my boys were old enough to start dating, I told them that when it comes to girls (or boys for that matter), there's 3 things to consider:

LOOKS, PERSONALITY, AND BRAINS. PICK TWO IF YOU'RE LUCKY.

What that equates to @ guitars might be ...

VISUAL ATTRACTIVENESS, SOUND, AND FEEL. AGAIN, PICK TWO ...

Rarely you will find an instrument that brings all 3. But not often.
I have a GORGEOUS US Guild D40 that sounds AMAZING - but I'm afraid to get it "dirty," if you know what I mean.
Instead, my sub-$300 Chinese Teton dreadnaught gets played all the time. It sounds good and I don't baby it.
Hmmm ...

On a similar tack, the Lakota believe that there are four major virtues:

STRENGTH, WISDOM, COURAGE, AND GENEROSITY.

They also believe that any single individual can only possess 2 at a time.
Works for me ...