Just Made a Jump-Blues Machine Out Of My SFDR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Drak, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

So, I bought two SFDR's about +/- 20 years ago, a '71 and a '73.
    One was $500.00, the other $350.00.

The $350.00 one had something wrong with the baffle, I don't exactly remember now what it was.
    Many of the amps I bought back in the day had defects of some kind so I could lowball the price and get them for cheap.
    And I could always fix them and/or recover them and not feel guilty about it.
    I've never been one to look for pristine vintage amps, I like them dogged-up and cheap, always have.
    But I always have them serviced, re-tubed when needed (by me usually), and kept in top operating condition.

I think it was cracked in a corner or along a side from the cab taking a face-plant from shipping or something.
    But since it needed a whole new baffle, I decided to make it a 2-10".
    Once I ripped the tolex off, I re-glued every joint on the cab, which I've done many times to many amp cabs and it always tightens up the final sound.
    Along with making the new baffle.
    Nearly every old Fender amp I've ever stripped and recovered needed a Serious Re-glue of all the joints.
    Nearly all of the older SF's are loose and flatulent and tubby until they get reglued.
    And it makes a huge difference when the cab is really glued and tightened up as it should be.

But that's only one half of the story.
    For most of those 20 years, I had two pair of 10" speakers I would occasionally swap in and out.
    A pair of Weber C10P's (kinda British) and a pair of C10N's (kinda American).

Both, really, were nearly too much speaker for a DR.
    Like having a hearing aid turned up to 10 when you barely needed the thing to begin with.
    Nearly too sensitive, nearly too responsive.
    Either model could have just used a single speaker and it would have handled a DR just fine.
    Especially the C10N's, they're so powerful with thunderous bass, they really belonged in a VR (or more), more-so than a DR.
    A single 10" C10N would have been more than enough for a DR.

So the second part of the story.
    I LOVE CTS alnicos, and I love Super Reverbs, maybe my very favorite Fender amplifier.
    I have boxes of speakers I've collected over the years and have probably a dozen (maybe more) CTS alnicos.
    Some are in amps, some are in boxes.

CTS alnicos are really a one-trick pony, but in the right application that one trick is pretty awesome.
    They're all fat thick mids, with very little else to offer (compared to most current modern speakers)
    Tapping the cone of nearly any current modern speaker vs. tapping the cone of a CTS and you'd know immediately what I'm talking about.
    They sound flat, dead, and lifeless, to the tap (it's the paper surround and thick paper cone I believe).
    So I like to mix them in a Super, and also in a 4-10 Marshall closed-back cab I have.
    One pair of CTS, and whatever else I feel like augments them in the other two spots.
    Mixing CTS' with other speakers yields some of the most awesome cab tones I've ever discovered.

Guitars live in the mids. CTS' are all about the mids, they enhance what a guitar is built to do.

So an idea I've had for a long time is to put a pair in the 2-10 SFDR, which I did last night.
    Holy Be-Jeeesus!

What an absolute perfect matchup.
    The thick mids of the CTS' make up for the scooped mids of the DR.
    And the lower power handling capacity of the old CTS' matches perfectly with the DR's 22W output.

The thing sounds like a Jump-Blues killin' machine now, it sounds gorgeous!
    Where before it was super-responsive (and loud), almost TOO responsive.

Now its a match, the amp matches the speakers and what the speakers do match the amp.
    Almost sounds like a Brownface amp.
    Not as dark as a tweed, and not the pristine cleans/big bass/scooped mids of, say a Twin.

Freakin' Love it, can't believe I didn't do this years ago.
    I mean, it Sounds OLD now...its weird, but true.

Sorry about the crappy pics, bad lighting.
    The third pic is to show how I had to round out the edges of the baffle to fit the width of the 2-10's when I made the baffle.
    The cab is Nubtex Blonde w/ Oxblood grille and a repro BF faceplate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

elihu, Deeve and saltyseadog like this.
  2. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

Here's a much better picture of it way back when I did the recover, along with some others, probably 20 years ago.

[​IMG]

Deeve and saltyseadog like this.
  3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Nice! From your description I think I would like that speaker selection too!

4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

wow
    :cool:

5. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

Beautiful stack of Fender goodness!

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I had a similar experience with my 68 SFDR when I replaced the Oxford with a Weber P-12N alnico speaker with a 1.5 inch voice coil. Turn it up to “6” and bam, instant jump blues. Great for Chuck Berry tunes too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.