1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Colt m423, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I'm saving week after week. And selling vintage/ miscellaneous gear to finally own a gibson 1959 custom shop. Im only looking at 2019-2020 models since they are the closest to the real thing and nicest models to my eyes. Im not far from having the full amount of funds. Im having trouble finding the burst that best suites me. And it seems everyone bought the factory burst models just to mark up the price. They sell for 6499 new. And people are asking 8k used for factory burst models!!!! Ridiculous. Ive found some models that im 70% sold on but none that I cant live without. Maybe one will show up when im ready to purchase. Other than the 59 vos. I picked up a 57 vos les paul custom 2020. Felt and sounded great . And they all look relatively the same. Im not sure which one I should go for.

Just wondering if any of yhall have either one of the models and could give me your final thoughts if its worth 7k$

Yes I have played the regular standard models. There is a major difference between them and custom shop. I think gibson in a whole is way over priced. But I'm wanting to finally get one before they raise their prices again.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've liked Gibson guitars since I was a kid and I would love to have a few of them. They have become overly expensive and the QC can be questionable sometimes.
    I can think of other guitar makers that make comparable guitars if not better for less money. It reminds me of my brothers Chevy Corvette. It stayed in the shop half the time he owned it for repairs, it had the ride of a Go-Kart and it got to the point that he was afraid to take it anywhere because it might breakdown, someone would bang their door into it or someone would steal it. So he sold it off.

If your looking for that pedestal guitar for an investmest, keep waiting for that CS Gibby you want.
    If you want a good player that is as good as a 59, I'd suggest a Gil Yaron 59 or one of his other models.

Colt m423 and 68tele like this.
  3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Worth it is totally subjective. In my experience, anytime that I "settled" for something less than I wanted, I have never been completely satisfied.

Me- I'd rather have the new Epiphone '59 and $6k, but I'm cheap.:lol:

4. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1 on Gil Yaron - his builds are beautiful and more-Gibsony-than-Gibson.

Zepfan likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

PRS makes some fantastic guitars in all types of finishes.
    The Epiphone Pro models are great and they have a 58 model too.

Uncle Butch and Nahtabot like this.
  6. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

You can pickup a very very nice 1959 style burst that plays better with better quality control from Stadium Guitar company for about $400, and you won't feel bad as bad when you get a ding or scratch.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Colt m423 likes this.
  7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

No way could I spend that much on a guitar. That's more than twice as much as I paid for all these combined...

12118619_10153576648224651_7100996433507447224_n.jpg

Colt m423 likes this.
  8. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I couldn't even imaging paying that much for an electric guitar.

Colt m423 likes this.
  9. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

Well it seems to me if you want a les paul made and feels exactly like the real thing. You have no choice but to pay that much. Which I also think is bs. Why can't we have the same quality, and feeling guitar of the greats like billy gibbons, jimmy page, Gary rossington, Joe Walsh, and others for less than 4k? Go pick up and play some custom shop gibson les pauls . They make the regular line feel like a epiphone.

10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good for you if you have the cash but I would be too afraid to play it and/or break the headstock that for me it just would not be worth it. Surely there is a broken in 70s les paul that feels great right? at least hold out for used... you would save a ton of money

11. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I feel you on being cheap haha. Its going to kill me to handover 6k. But I really want the real thing haha. I didnt know if anybody on here owns one. And im exactly like you on settling

12. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

My Gibson's have their own unique sound, I really could not do without any of 'em. I expect you are right handed so the choices you have are really considerable. You do have the luxury of playing many instruments before you decide, take advantage of it.

Custom shop guitars have more attention to detail, but there is a reason a Gibson Standard is called that, it's the Stradivarius of electric guitars. Paying full retail will sting no matter where you buy it, so if you do...make sure you get your hands on it first.

Once it gets over 4K it's got to be a custom shop in my mind. Considering the guitars you can get once you peak past the 5K mark...it's all subjective from there and better suit you to a T.

Colt m423 likes this.
  13. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

Its not that I "have it " like that. Just been working hard for years to finally have a top shelf guitar. I am not rich or spoiled by any means. It does bother me i could buy a car for the same price of these guitars though lol

14. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I have no shops in my local area that sell top top quality guitars. I have to order online to get the perfect looking one. That scares me.

15. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I really like the 70s les paul deluxe. But those 70s les pauls have increased in value. And are not worth their price for sure anymore. Its a pancake body, sometimes poly finished, decent pickup, 3 piece top les paul. Def not worth 3-4k in my opinion

16. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Get the blue burst, looks amazing.

17. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

You must have done some serious local haggling like i do to get all those guitars for under 6k$. Nice! I like those single p90 jazz boxes

18. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

19. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Check these used ones out on reverb. The quilted green one is amazing and only 2300.

zb9d3il6ukiq6a8g6f1e.jpg sxpcjzi27ucywrhz0nyb.jpg twyrwmipwcdkdz1injmh.jpg q2ehyxps8kqbtzg5dhlp.jpg

Colt m423 likes this.
  20. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

superjam144 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.