Just like that, I'm Keith Richards

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tone Eee, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Wow, Heathkit. Haven't thought about them in a while. I use to "live" inside those catalogues. They made some high quality audio components. They still command a decent price in the vintage market if they're in decent shape. Lafayette was a similar company. Kind of a higher quality Radio Shack. I still have a nice Lafayette receiver I bought in 1973 that, beyond a scratchy pot, works fine.

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I had an Ampeg Jet with that style tolex on it. I stripped it off and found it had a very nice pine cabinet, which I sanded, stained and finished. Not bubinga, but damn nice looking. Sad part is, I gave that amp away.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

In Junior High, my drummer and his dad made a fuzz box, either from a kit, or, more likely, from a schematic from somewhere. It had no controls, just on or off....and the biggest flaw was the button you stepped on with your foot you had to KEEP the button depressed or it would turn off. Since, back then, I didn't have much to compare it to, I thought it sounded pretty cool.....did the "Satisfaction" thing pretty good. Don't know whatever happened to it. Soon after I got a Vox Tone Bender, in the hammered gray pedal.....THAT I wish I still had! ;)

Paul in Colorado and jhundt like this.
  4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Hmmm...Maybe, maybe not...Keith used accordian on Talk is Cheap on a few songs. 'Course he didn't play it.. Buckwheat Dural did.

raysachs likes this.
  5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Those Geminis are great amps. I have a Reverberocket from the same era. It is supposedly rated at 18 watts but at 12 o'clock on the volume it sounds sweet and keeps up with our drummer just fine. These amps are way undervalued when compared to Fenders of the era. Good deal. While the Harmony guitar was cool looking, the Gemini is a better tool in the arsenal IMHO. Congrats!

Greggorios likes this.
  6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

[QUOTE="Tone Eee, post: 8847620, member: 140707].. though it's monstrously big and bulky for the amount of sound you get out of it.
    [/QUOTE]

Nice amps, but that’s exactly why I sold mine.

If I’m gonna schlep something like that, it better have power to match.

7. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

The ugly one.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Love old Ampegs !

I would think it's be louder than what you're describing though.
    Has it been serviced lately? If not or if you don't know that'd be my first order of business.
    After that, I'm not sure exactly what speaker it has, but some of the OEM one's back then weren't real efficient. (that isn't always a bad thing)
    Then again some old Ampegs don't seem as loud as some old Fenders, so there's that. :)

9. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations Keith, could I bum a cig and a couple of hundred pounds

Tone Eee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.