Just like that, I'm an orphan.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blue Bill, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

After 67 years of marriage, my sweet Mom and my steady Dad both left the party this weekend. Mom slipped away peacefully on Friday afternoon. Dad went out kicking and cussing, the Parkinson's had him in a tight grip. After he settled down, and had spoken his last words but was still breathing, I played my nylon string for him for an hour or so. The last song he heard was Stairway to Heaven. He checked out early Sunday morning.

I worried about whether it's appropriate to post this here, but you guys are my only "social network", and I could use some soothing words and RIPs, thanks.

IMG_1015.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  2. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My deepest condolences Blue Bill. As sad as it is, there is some great beauty in knowing he was listening to your playing.

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

So sorry for your loss. Sometimes it might be for the best that an older couple go out that close. It’s not easy for those left behind, like yourself, but might be easier on them

drewg, TwoBear, Steve Holt and 13 others like this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I’m very sorry to hear that.

I too am without parents now. So, I know there’s not much I can say that will help.

It was bad enough having just one pass and then a reasonably long period before the next one. Both over such a short period must be terrible. I can’t really imagine it. You have my deepest sympathies.

Pax/
    Dean

Fendereedo, Greggorios and Blue Bill like this.
  5. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

My sincere condolences my brother. My mom just passed away on the 12th after a 3 year bout with cancer leaving my dad, my brother and I behind. They were married 67 years as well. He’s 90 and has Myasthenia Gravis and doesn’t understand why he couldn’t have been the first to go.
    I truly understand the emptiness you’re feeling and that a piece of you is missing. My hat is n my hand and my heart is out for you today.

6. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is a heavy loss for one weekend. Sorry for your losses and suffering. There should be a 'Here for you' button as an alternative to the 'Like' button.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks, guys. Funny enough, reading your comments is the first time I have cried, since they left.

Thanks Kevin. You have my condolences as well. We're blessed to have parents that stayed together for so long.

8. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

My thoughts exactly. I'm sorry for your loss.

djh22, Fendereedo, Skyhook and 3 others like this.
  9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Condolences on your loss, a hard weekend.

10. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You have my deepest sympathy. Such a change in such a short time. It’s hard to absorb.

Fendereedo, nojazzhere and Blue Bill like this.
  11. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

You have my sincerest condolences, that is a lot of loss to bear. I wish you the best.

Fendereedo, nojazzhere and Blue Bill like this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

great pic of a great family. Sorry for your loss, but so glad you could be with them and so glad the last things they heard were expressions of love.

13. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So sorry for your loss Blue Bill. 67 years together is a good run. I know it’s hard for now but for them to pass on in such a close time frame it’s a blessing. Wishing the best for you and your family Bill.

Warmest regards,

Bob M

14. Hibernian

Hibernian TDPRI Member

My sympathies. I became an orphan 18 months ago when my mother passed. Father had died 20 years earlier. I hated how age had robbed my mother of some of her senses and how cancer had crippled my father for his last years. Life, in the end, is not peaceful for many but you were there, played music, and, I think that matters. It certainly would for me. There is something quite sobering about finding yourself parentless, as a friend says, you see yourself now on the conveyer belt with fewer people in front. I am grateful however for the number of years I had them both, far longer than many people do, and that is something to appreciate. I suppose in their passing, parents still teach us one final lesson about life. That, and the knowledge that they loved you. Peace.

Bob M, 7171551, Blue Bill and 2 others like this.
  15. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

So sorry.

djh22, Blue Bill and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My sympathies to you and your family Bill. So glad you had the chance to play for your Dad as he passed. That's really beautiful. I lost both my parents in 2015, 5 days apart, so I can relate, at least a little bit, to your experience. They were both 87 having been born 24 hours apart and were married for 64+ years.

Losing one parent under any circumstances is a life shaking and shaping event but 2 at almost the same time was numbing. Looking back, I am now able to see a certain "rightness" in their passing together. My Dad would have been lost and very unhappy without my Mom. I'm almost certain that they both would have preferred it this way if they'd had a choice.

Let time heal your loss. Peace.

P Thought, Blue Bill and nojazzhere like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wow both in one weekend, you must be reeling! I'm sorry to learn of this tragedy in your life. It's very cool that they were married for so long. I wish you and your remaining family the best.

18. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry you had such a hard weekend. Our words mean nothing right now, but your words are powerful. You have managed to keep your parents alive in our minds by sharing your story. I'm sure they are proud to have raised such a thoughtful son. Hang in there, it gets better.

Bob M, 7171551, Wildcard_35 and 3 others like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So sorry, Bill. My dad died in 1986, but my mom just passed, at age 95, last June 29. That's sad that your folks went about the same time, but at least now they'll be together. Best wishes and prayers....it's the inevitable cycle of life. Blessings to you and your family.

20. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the club. The dues #$#@#% suck.
    Both at once is a hard hit.
    They don't make words for that.

JayFreddy, 7171551, Skyhook and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.