Just how durable are telecasters?

ABetterTelePlayer

Tele-Meister
"Ah, so you don't know anything about Gibsons and their weak points, it seems?"

So Telecasters don't have weak points????

ABetterTelePlayer

Tele-Meister
Of course they do, and I never claimed otherwise. Hey, perhaps buy a brain and read my comment again?
Ahhh you're the troll from the other thread that wouldn't stop replying. Now just aiming to insult me on the other thread.

Are you gonna report me again over nothing? I'm case you didn't know, all your comments were deleted on the other thread. I received no warning or ban as you were the one trolling.

But you should probably leave me alone, seems you have some deeper issue with me. And looks as if you capitalized on taking an opportunity with engaging on me on something that some don't agree with me.

Either way, yeah, a Fender made Telecaster isn't going to be any more resilient to damage than my Les Paul. Sorry for being truthful. Again, I understand that we're on a Tele forum but just like the videos of Strats and SG's being thrown around, they were just as durable.

Now ask yourself if Ash or Alder is more durable than Mahogany

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
A Tele will be more durable than a Lester, so you're just talking garbage there. And as for the rest, I'll just ignore your insults and let you spew all the BS you can muster, because hey, who cares? So toodle-oo for now and try to relax mate - it's just the Internet and thus nothing important, even if you seem to believe otherwise yerself :D

ABetterTelePlayer

Tele-Meister
A Tele will be more durable than a Lester, so you're just talking garbage there. And as for the rest, I'll just ignore your insults and let you spew all the BS you can muster, because hey, who cares? So toodle-oo for now and try to relax mate - it's just the Internet and thus nothing important, even if you seem to believe otherwise yerself :D
I never insulted you, it's the other way around. Now you're just backpedaling like in the other thread.

"Perhaps buy a brain" is an insult, you'll probably be the the type of person that tries to say it's not an insult and a friendly joke, but IF we're being honest, you've had hostile intent towards me for a bit. And perhaps you should take a look at your own comments as you're the one spewing BS here.

Lastly, I'm not the one that needs to relax, you felt insecure on the other thread, so insecure and angry you reported me. I never felt the need,this is small potatoes to me, mate. You're acting as if I'm the one that reported you, over nothing no less lol

Have a good day!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I own a MIM standard tele and I am planning on taking it with me everyday to school. The reason for this is I have a 6 hour commute per day involving the train, metro and bus. I also have a free time at school before, between and after classes. As a result I can get in a lot of playing time on the train and at school.

My tele fits nicely into my locker but will it be able to take the beating it being brought around everyday? I have a very thick padded soft case (made by precision)

What do you guys think? is it a bad idea?

I really dont like babying my gear and this guitar has found a place in my heart, I always want to be playing it!
I just sold my 2004 Standard Tele ( bought new), to get a lighter, Thinline.
But my Tele was rock-solid , sounded great, stayed in tune...and transported a lot ( local gigs, in back seat) in a gig bag.

No worries, if you handle reasonably!

Last edited:

voskarp

Tele-Afflicted

Either way, yeah, a Fender made Telecaster isn't going to be any more resilient to damage than my Les Paul. Sorry for being truthful. Again, I understand that we're on a Tele forum but just like the videos of Strats and SG's being thrown around, they were just as durable.

So you seriously mean that the Gibson LP/SG/ES-whatever headstock is as sturdy as on a Fender maple neck?

ABetterTelePlayer

Tele-Meister
Some parts of a Les Paul are stronger than the Strat and Tele, as we've seen in videos but I'm not going to spam the thread and be reported by certain individual to prove that. What I can say is that every guitar has it's string points or weak points but all are around equally as durable. Looked like the SG in the video posted was stronger or just as strong as the Tele.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
oddballkellysheroes2t11.jpg

Pointmonger

Tele-Afflicted
A friend has his out in his backyard one night a few years ago and left it laying on a table. Later that night we had a rare snowstorm and about 8 inches of snow. It was below 10 degrees for much of the next five days. When the snow finally melted, he realized his mistake. The nitro is nicely checked, now, but the Telecaster is fine.

JeffBlue

Friend of Leo's
I suppose you could......although I don't recommend it. In a pinch, you could probably use a telecaster as a boat oar. Can't guarantee it will play well afterwards and it will probably need to be repaired and/or parts replaced.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
I suppose you could......although I don't recommend it. In a pinch, you could probably use a telecaster as a boat oar. Can't guarantee it will play well afterwards and it will probably need to be repaired and/or parts replaced.
My pine Squier Esquire could be used as an anchor.

pipthepilot

Tele-Meister
As countless others have said, the Tele is the most durable guitar you could wish for. The old adage being that even after a nuclear apocalypse, the Teles won't just survive but will all still be in tune.

If there's any Guitar out there that looks its absolute best with wear and tear it's the Tele, after dragging it back and forth to school for a few years you'll be in possession of a guitar that Relic-ers would die for.

pipthepilot

Tele-Meister
While this thread is twelve years old, I thought I'd resurrect it from a different perspective...

While I'd love to believe that the Telecaster has some kind of magical superpower behind it to make it almost invincible compared to other guitars (especially since it's my favorite type of guitar), the reality is that it's just a that - a guitar, made of the same types of wood we see in other types of guitar. And Ash/Alder - which is what the majority of Telecasters are made up of, is common wood.

So the "realistic" answer is that it breaks just as easy as any other well-known guitar whether that's a Les Paul, Strat, SG, etc. Take care of your gear :)
Les Pauls and SGs headstocks are very fragile, you only need it fall once to find yourself in possession of an expensive bit of broken tree with Gibson written on it.