Just heard myself talk on video and think I'm done talking.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, May 11, 2021.

1. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

That quiz was about spot on for me. All three locations that it gave me are less than 100 miles away.

2. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I think hating your own voice, is right up there with hating your name.

I don't sing particularly well, but I'd rather listen to myself sing than speak lol.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Have you ever seen that movie 'Fargo'????

It's Minnesota-talk is exaggerated, granted, but it still hits pretty close to home in my case...ya, dontcha know.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I recorded classical music performances at my university. Sometimes I would try to sneak into the hall, and enjoyed hearing live performances. When the concert ended, I sometimes stayed around for post-concert chit-chat. I would leave the recorder on, until I walked downstairs to the studio and turned it off.

One night I was recording in the same place but didn't go upstairs to the concert. After the concert, I left the mic and recorder on. The voices of people in the hall came through pretty well. Suddenly, out jumps the voice of an old friend of 50+ years. I would know the sound of his voice anytime, anywhere. But this didn't seem plausible to have captured the voice of someone 2,000 miles away.

After I rewound the tape and played the audience sounds again, it dawned on me that it was my voice.

I'm fading fast and better not try a conclusion to this.

'Nite!

Toto'sDad, Harry Styron and Jonzilla like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Personally

I hate the sound of my recorded voice

It doesn’t help that I have a pretty deep voice, it may be a curse

I’ve even had A-holes mock me in the past, guess they think I’m putting it on (that I’ll put a damper on your social life)

As far as accent, I’ve been told by people/mostly westerners that I have one, I don’t really hear it although I’ve noticed some of us say the letter “o” in words Funny almost with a drawl to it

The older folks around here you can definitely notice it in

Be proud of who you are! That’s number one!

Why sound like everyone else, you’re not the one with an accent everyone else just doesn’t have one

I’ve heard our regional east coast dialects are actually closer to the way people talked till people started moving west and it got all muddled

So my accent is right! You guys have just lost yours!

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  6. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

I grew up around Gary, IN. Heading away from it all directions but Chicago and Lake Michigan, it's mostly surrounded by small farm towns. In this area we mostly all speak American Standard English, which means no accent at all. I was talking to my 78 year old mother on the phone and we were talking about this and that, and Indiana came up. I says, "Yeah, we are such rednecks." She's like, "No we are not." So I say, "Mom, just because we don't speak with an accent, doesn't mean we aren't rednecks." Now I remember what brought it up. I was telling her about a Ray White standup that is on Netflix. The one where he discusses the baby duck, p*ssy-lip tacos. :lol:

7. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Arthur Shelby and his accent is why I watch Peaky f****** blinders. Awsome character and an awsome accent :cool:

aging_rocker likes this.
  8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

At school Bill Ingram and I didn't get on, I don't know why, he was likeable enough, got on with everyone else, I just didn't like him. Years later I heard a recording of myself speaking, only it was Bill's annoying voice speaking my words. About 10 years ago I played at the retirement party for one of my former teachers. Bill was there and I told him my story. He said that he had also noticed the similarity, however, none of our classmates who were there thought that we sounded alike.

9. Teletubbie

Teletubbie Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Well, I took the test and it turns out I'm from one of three places in California.
    I was born in Manchester[England] and have lived in London for 30+ years.
    No idea what that means, just thought I'd let you know.

BTW, great site, I wonder if there is a UK version?

10. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Yesterday I had to video my mother, who has dementia, signing a form. I felt the same way hearing my voice.

My dad was from the Hickory/Morganton, North Carolina area and my mom from Southeast Texas. I was born in Hickory, NC. We mostly lived in Texas, but moved to North Carolina a couple of times when I was a teenager. Friends in Texas say I talk like a Yankee, while friends in North Carolina said I have a Texas drawl.

But my mom is full blooded Cajun. The accent would usually only come out when she was mad. I’m just glad I don’t talk like them.

11. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Don't try dancing. At least you'll have that going for you.

12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i sound like someone on NPR but when i yell i have a jersey accent that comes out.

my voice would be alright sounding if i wasn't the size of a 15 year old...it's bass register but it has no body.

13. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I spent my first 18 years in Indiana, believing we didn't have any kind of accent. Then after 18 years of living in Arizona I went back to Indiana, and my God, I could hardly accept that these old friends & neighbors were speaking with the same voices I grew up around. Such raw redneck hillbilly drawling like I've only heard in PBS documentaries....funny thing is, it never seemed to come across on the phone.

Then it dawned on me that at one time I must've talked like that...my self-esteem has never recovered.

14. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nobody likes the sound of their own voice. Get over it.

perttime likes this.
  15. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm not sure why you view this as a problem. There are many times when having an accent or speech type, is beneficial to the video.

Get over it and just do what you need to do. It will be OK.

perttime likes this.
  16. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Doesn't everyone react much the same way when they first hear themselves recorded?

I don't think it's worth worrying about. There are so very few people who I come across in day to day life whose accent or way of speaking intrudes negatively on my impression of them. I don't want to spend any time worrying about whether I might be one of them. Still find it very uncomfortable hearing myself recorded though.

17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow! Got me pretty good. Pegged me in Grand Rapids which is an hour south.

18. Mjea80

Mjea80 Tele-Meister

Wait til you hear yourself sing. :p

Wear ear plugs for a day, you’ll get used to what your voice really sounds like.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Accent, cadence, tone, etc are all controllable

It's not as if you (generally) don't have a choice in the matter

I consciously decided as a little kid I didn't want to sound like a lot of the galoots surrounding me

Refugee likes this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Mostly all the people I know say that i sound like Ray Winstone. Having recently checked a holiday video, I tend to agree. I think I'm going to remove my larynx without anaesthetic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.