Just haven't felt like playing my guitars lately

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
@Big_Bend

I won't repeat what others have said about depression beyond encouraging you to have your vitamin D levels checked at the doctor. I started taking vitamin D a couple of years ago to protect my immune system and inadvertently cured my seasonal affective disorder that I've been dragging around for years.

There's an old saying that eating creates appetite. If you want to want to play, just play. Make it a habit. Once you finish your first cup of coffee, commit to tuning your guitar. If you feel like playing more, then do so but create a habit to pick up your guitar and tune each string each day. See if that helps you.

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never completely stopped playing guitar for more than a week or so, but sometimes I get tired of my own playing and "guitar music" in general.

I'll echo a few others' suggestion to listen to something new/different. I really enjoy listening to classical and jazz music when I'm tired of the guitar.

There's a great classical station called KDFC. On Sunday mornings they have a couple of programs that I really like:

A Joyful Noise (7am- 9am): all choral music
A Musical Offering (9am-11am): baroque music (JS Bach and the like)

I don't love all of it , but they play plenty of great music that I've never heard before. You can listen to it online, and stream whenever you feel like it.

Last edited:

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Yep, changing the music you listen to, or at least giving stuff that is outside your usual 'wheelhouse' a go now and then can be very useful and motivating. And let's face it, it's never been easier to do that than it is now.

A decent amount - in fact I'm honest, most - of the music I listen to these days has either no or minimal guitar in it.

Back in the late 80s and a lot of the 90s, it seemed that most of what I listened to had mostly no words and no guitars. I think that was what eventually got me interested in picking up the guitar again after a long time without playing, owning or even picking up an instrument.i just started 'missing' guitar music. This after being totally turned off by the 80s hair metal nonsense which pretty much made me feel embarrassed to be a guitar player. (Whoo...I finally said it - that was cathartic...)

Age and advancing arthritis are definitely limiting my ability to play these days, but I can happily manage enough to make me smile. And a change of instrument can also be motivating - my no-name plywood-body 80s P-bass clone gets as much use as the other guitars these days, because I can play it with a few fingers on each hand and it's just great fun. :cool:

Last edited:

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
It has been a few years since I really -wanted- to play my guitars.

These days my guitars mostly just collect dust, sadly, I guess. I take my acoustic with me when I go camping, but I usually don't break it out much.

This too shall pass right? I'm not sure what its going to take to get me enthusiastic about playing my guitars again.

I have a good friend who invites me over to jam but I can't seem to muster the gumption and head over. My older son is a wonderful bass guitarist and he's always looking to play music with dad (we had a nice band for 7 years), but I think I've been letting him down for awhile now.

Not sure whats up. Have ya'll had periods in life where the muse just wasn't there, then it all returned? What brought you back to playing music again? What were the inspirations?

Looking for stories of being away for awhile then finding ways to play enjoyable music again. Not sure which directions I should go.

Life is good tho.. take care..
yep...sure do..hehe...put it down a number of times..changed things ( usually by accident) and picked it up again...do something else for awhile..get recharged..maybe try a different instrument or none at all..wear red pants...take up stamp collecting..fix cars..etc etc..just need some input from somewhere to get a spark in the 'ol plugs is all

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I felt like that once, and let it ride for for more than 10 years. It's a bad idea.

I keep a couple of guitar stands right next to the couch, and an amp, tuner, cable, etc. No pedalboard, it's a PITA for this use.

If I'm on that couch ( and awake ) I have a guitar in my hands and I'm playing. While watching TV, movies, monitoring my laptop for work-related email, etc. it's all good.

I can play for 1 minute or 20 minutes, I can choose disciplined practice, noodling, playing along with whatever I hear on the TV, etc. - it's relaxed and I have no expectations.

Sometimes I just take a nap instead.

doof

Tele-Holic
I'm going through that right now, but if I'm honest with myself, it's been that way for the last decade at least. During that decade I started playing in a band, but that didn't help at all. I got into building guitar pedals, and that helped a tiny bit for a while, but ultimately didn't revive my love for guitar. This pedal phase also was the reason why my pedal collection grew from zero to over a hundred in just a couple years, all while barely touching the guitar.

About two years ago, i decided to build myself a custom pedal board from scratch. Aluminum for the actual board, with some nice walnut sides. I even got it powdercoated. It looked beautiful, and I had fun selecting pedals and wiring everything up. After all that work I've only played through it maybe twice for about five minutes.

Last year I built two amps from scratch, a 5e3 and a 5f1. Lots of fun, but while they work great, I barely touch them (just played the 5e3 for the first time in months yesterday, and after two minutes, it stopped being fun).

Right now I'm in the middle of putting together a partscaster and I have also ordered everything I need to build a pickup winder and start experimenting with winding pickups.

The more I think about it, the more it seems that I enjoy working with guitar electronics and building and tinkering far more than I enjoy playing, and at this point, I think I'm ok with that.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Well, it's certainly a common issue, and from this thread it seems there are lots of different cures. It happens to me too, but for short periods only; just a few days at most. I don't know if you're a songwriter or not, but that's something that'll make you play - and it might not seem like you're playing because you're using the guitar as a tool to get a song out of your head and into the world. I do write, but I'm not disciplined about it; just when the muse hits me. But it makes me play better because I have a specific thing in mind for the tune. Sometimes I'll listen back to a guitar track on something I did and I'll think, "I played that?" When did I learn how to do that?

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I have been playing more than 50 years, and yes, there are ebbs and flows. But I will always play, because I don't feel complete unless I am playing.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I’ve played many instruments over the years (music Ed/ trumpet major.) I’ve had phases where I play out often, phases where I’m just on my own… or doing nothing!

I was a pretty serious bass player, 2015- up to the pandemic. I got a few gigs post-Covid, but the stress and shutdowns made for a lot of days and weeks I didn’t wanna pick up the bass. That brought me back to guitar (and to TDPRI!) and I’m really enjoying the fresh start, new perspective and the musical challenge.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
I've been in a rut recently, but am back to enjoying the hobby again.

I find that it usually has less to do with the hobby and it's mostly outside stress in the real world that turns off my creativity and joy.

I sometimes force myself to play a half hour even when I am low energy and not really into it.

Energy levels are key for me though... So many times I just go to bed.

The other day I flipped off my guitar in defiance. Just bummed out about how difficult it is to make music sometimes. I envy piano players sometimes...

But tonight I was on a roll.

Good luck finding peace with your hobby again.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Funny thing, though i don't feel like playing guitar, i did played my banjo for 45 mns not long ago. Maybe you need a banjo ? ;)

saleake

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I quit in May 1976 to concentrate on my Thesis and did not play again until February 2009. My wife, my kids, and my career took over my life. I’m not upset about it. I have had a happy, productive life.

What motivated me to start again? In December 2008, I went to a multi-venue for my wife’s Christmas party. Three different bands were playing three different kinds of music. All the musicians were my age. It looked like fun. On New Years Eve, I saw the Bob Dylan movie “No Direction Home”. I was hooked.

I got out my Stratocaster and my Deluxe Reverb and started playing again.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Many years ago I was approached by a couple to form a band. We began with two guitars and a vocalist to get this started. Had a set list of 40 tunes and began rehearsing. Adding a drummer and bass would follow once we had a direction.
At first it was fun and energetic. Me being the oldest (age & playing) I took on the arrangements and was prepared for every rehearsal. Jackie actually said she’d never seen me so determined about something like this project.
I realized that after 4 months we were accomplishing nothing. It was quickly becoming a drink beer and play (at) music. We couldn’t get through a rehearsal with any progress. The thought of adding bass and drums was not going to happen

We had a “band” meeting where I expressed my concern about this ever getting off the ground. Paul & Emily said they were committed and would turn the page.

Well, they didn’t. At our last get together I packed up my gear, had my final say, and went home. I explained to Jackie what transpired and DID NOT pick up a guitar for nearly four years. That was in 2005

I’m going through a guitar playing funk now but it seems to be slowly passing. Maybe there will be another jam/open mic down the road and it’ll rekindle my fire.