Just haven't felt like playing my guitars lately

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I gave up gigging after losing the playing bug about 18 mths ago, I still noodle unplugged, maybe only about half hour per week, lucky if i plug in for 5 mins a month these days, don't listen to much music these days either. Can't remember the last time I learnt anything new. I still love reading about guitars, watching youtube clips, and I'm still keen to grow the guitar collection. I'm sure the playing bug will return at some stage for me, probably will for the OP too!

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Sounds normal to me...I have boughts like that which last a few weeks at a time.

I am actually going through a funk now of about 4 days...just not feeling it. Most of the time you are just too busy keeping life in order to feel anything except tired, so the playing falls to the side.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
yep, since the Great Whatsit started, I've hardly played.

I'm gonna try something to kick start it again: I'm getting into video recording and editing as part of my day job, and I'm setting a goal to make some solo videos of myself doing a few tunes. I gotta get my chops up so I can at least play without cringing. There's a strong possibility that nobody will ever see em but me, but maybe by the time I get some in the can, I'll be able to get the band back together (okay it's only one other guy, but yeah).

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
I have not picked up a guitar for months myself.

I am not worried though.
This happens on a regular basis when I find my self caught up in the birth, school, work, death cycle.

Some time this year I am hoping to get the band back together and make some tracks. That will do the trick.

It is not like guitars go away to die, if you do not use them.

Poster Extraordinaire
I started playing in the late '70s. My son just turned 14. I got into amp and guitar building just before he was born. Things went on the back burner. I got adhesive capsulitus in one shoulder and then the other in 2012. I couldn't pull up my pants for three years, let alone play guitar. I haven't really played since. I bought harmonicas, a sack of picks, tons of strings. Nothing motivates me.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
It has been a few years since I really -wanted- to play my guitars.

These days my guitars mostly just collect dust, sadly, I guess. I take my acoustic with me when I go camping, but I usually don't break it out much.

This too shall pass right? I'm not sure what its going to take to get me enthusiastic about playing my guitars again.

I have a good friend who invites me over to jam but I can't seem to muster the gumption and head over. My older son is a wonderful bass guitarist and he's always looking to play music with dad (we had a nice band for 7 years), but I think I've been letting him down for awhile now.

Not sure whats up. Have ya'll had periods in life where the muse just wasn't there, then it all returned? What brought you back to playing music again? What were the inspirations?

Looking for stories of being away for awhile then finding ways to play enjoyable music again. Not sure which directions I should go.

Life is good tho.. take care..
It helps to have a goal. To learn something, to create something. Like anything in life, having a dream or purpose is what keeps you in the game, even if it isn’t accomplished.

me, I just sit and record riffs on my phone that I think are cool.. and rarely do anything with them, for some reason.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
BB - have You considered that maybe it's
what You've been playing forever how long You've been playing that/those styles that has worn Your imagination away?

One of the best things that opened my own head (brought back the fun) is a
book titled "Big Band Guitar" by a gentleman name of Charleton Johnson.

Mr. Johnson took Freddie Green's place
in The Count Basie Orchestra - and his
book will put a smile on Your face.

Getting "Jazz" by Florentine Productions
might be helpful too - to illuminate the
treasure that has been bestowed on us.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
It comes and goes for me too.
Over the last few months I've not played much at all.

The noisy Ibanez, the acoustic and the bass have all had a little play time over the last few weeks, but I'm playing so infrequently at the moment I that get blisters these days on my soft fingertips. Sad.

It'll pick up again, it always does, but this one seems to be going on for a long time.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Carpal tunnel derailed my music career of nearly 20 years. Over the previous 20 years, had been working on a little composition and theory. Now with the carpal tunnel, I set the guitar aside and embarked on a career as a university composition professor. Starting from dead scratch as a Freshman at age 25.

My non-guitar career in academics was everything I dreamed it would be. That came to a halt when I was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, later updated to CDIP. And followed by rheumatoid arthritis.

When I returned home from the hospital, I bought a Tele and joined the forum. I focused on blues, something I had played and loved since junior high.

Not sure about composition. It has become difficult to execute plans in all their stages. and pain continues to be at the forefront of my thought. Intuitively, I believed that re-engaging with the blues on guitar would give me huge comfort. The blues really does its job very, very well.

No matter how you decide, you might want to consider the condition of your hands. If you think that you might return to playing, you will be glad if you had done some quick and easy movements with the hands. For me, it has been so hard to physically play as well as I used to, and the biggest roadblock was limber hands.

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
I start writing a song. Always lyrics first about whatever idea comes to mind. A melody will follow and I'm forced to pick up my guitar to try and make it work. The song usually sucks but I'm playing and creating so I'm not doing the same old stuff. Sometimes it works sometimes not but hey it's what I do. Good luck it's normal and I hope it passes quickly.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Sometimes it works sometimes not but hey it's what I do. Good luck it's normal and I hope it passes quickly.

They can't all be hits.
It's the job of whoever wears the producer's hat for your project to decide which ones make the album and which ones make the
posthumous 10cd box of your unreleased stuff.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
making electronic music or working on electronics are my go-tos.

i didn't really play guitar seriously for like 3 or 4 years, i was making electronic music (like stuffy stockhausen type of stuff). when i got tired of playing electronics i went deeper into guitar than i had previously. then i got a little sick of the music i was making and rediscovered electronics by making techno music. then i got a little sick of techno music and built an amp, bought an archtop, and got back into guitar even heavier.

i go through periods of like 3-4 months where i practically only think about one or the other. though i still pick a guitar up every day throughout just to get my hands moving.

Last edited:

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I went through a phase of playing a lot before Xmas, not picked up a guitar for about 3 weeks now, even though I have some new gear. For me it happens - some periods hwere I play a lot and learn a lot, others where I drift through days not playing at all.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I actually don’t play much at all unless I’m actively writing songs or playing with my band.

But getting into a good band last year where I like all the members has helped immeasurably. That once a week where we practice is one of the highlights in my life.

I’ve never gone through as long a drought as you, just mini droughts often where I just don’t pick it up. But having a band and something to look forward to and work toward with guitar helps me.

It sounds like you’ve got some really cool opportunities to play available to you if you can put yourself out there to take them.

takauya

Tele-Meister
When I stopped playing the guitar for several years, I was practicing the drums really really seriously. That experience helped a ton when I re-started playing the guitar. I'd do the same with other instruments if it happened to me again. Maybe the bass or pedal steel guitar.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My enthusiasm for playing is a roller-coaster ride that rockets and dives on an almost weekly basis, but at least plateaus long enough to to maintain a baseline stability that keeps me in it.

I left it for a few years a decade or so ago but came back, and it was good that I did.

At this point (I'm 70 now), my playing will never improve or advance beyond what it is now, and if I was honest, it's actually been in decline for some time. I can't do barre chords at all anymore, and unless I'm in an open chord tuning, I only play first position chords.

But that's ok too. John Prine got an effing TON of creative and musical mileage out of three chords picked with only a thumb and index finger.