Just had hernia surgery Friday. Any advice from those who've had it done?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had an inguinal hernia repaired about ten years ago.
It was a blessed relief.
I had it for about 6 months before I got it fixed.
I was “good as new” in about 2 weeks.
My new mantra was s “64, not 24”.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
THIS!
Whatever you do.......DON'T SNEEZE!

The oxy is fine, I'm surprised he only gave you 5 pills. I had hyrdocodone 10mg for 3 days when I had a tooth pulled, and many years ago had it 4x a day for maybe 2 weeks after a car wreck. It ran out and I switched to 800mg ibuprofen and never had any issues at all with stopping hydro.

I'm guessing most of the pain is because they had to cut thru some muscles. I got lucky when I had my appendix out many years ago. I got a surgeon who (they said) was the first one in this city to learn how to remove an appendix without cutting any muscles. I was back in the gym 2 weeks later, but then I was only 19 years young at the time.
I forgot! Don't Sneeze. Don't cough heavy. And don't hang around anyone who is really funny.

Patton

Tele-Meister
Good luck healing.

Good luck to me in December for same procedure.

I can't say I feel better reading all your experiences, but I guess better than not coming back to tell the tale. (There's some optimism...)

For all the discomfort (and I’m only two days into this) I’m still very glad I finally got it taken care of. I was having a lot of pain on occasion and I’m happy to put up with this short term for the long term relief.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
In spite of our whining, it’s really not that bad and nothing to be afraid of. Much better to be done with the hernia.

Poster Extraordinaire
I got up one morning to pee and thought "hmm, I don't remember having three testicles". An hour later, my scrotum was the size of a grapefruit. I went to my pcp and she sent me for an ultrasound. By the time I got the appointment with the surgeon (months), it had gone away. He said "sometimes these things resolve themselves. Don't worry about it".

suave eddie

Friend of Leo's
Thank you all for the great contributions to this thread. I have an umbilical hernia that I've been living with for ten years. Its gotten big over the years and my doctor wants me to have it repaired. I saw the surgeon a few weeks ago, and we're putting off the surgery for a few months so I can drop some excess pounds, which he said would help my recovery.

Anyhow, reading all of the above has me a lot more scared about the procedure than I had been up to now. But I'd rather go in knowing what to expect, so I appreciate the information.

Good luck with the recovery @Patton.
I had an umbilical hernia that started out small at least 20 years ago..just an "outie". It stayed that way with no change for many years. Then a few years ago it started getting larger. No pain associated with it but it sure looked weird. I eventually got it repaired two years ago. In spite of a lot of apprehension it went well with almost no pain in the recovery process.
Hernias are weird. It's like your insides are trying to get out.

joe_cpwe

Tele-Afflicted
I had that surgery about 10 yrs ago. I didn't get along with the oxygen (edit: oxycodone) and it made me nauseous. Barfing post hernia surgery is NOT what you want to be doing.
Needless to say, I didn't stay on the pain meds long.
I do remember that for a few years after the surgery I would feel slight pain or discomfort around the mesh. It eventually went away and I've not thought much about it.
Summary...take it easy, get off the drugs as soon as you can, don't be surprised if you feel it at times down the road. This is pretty routine surgery and I don't think recovery goes wrong for most people.

Last edited:

sammy123

Tele-Meister
I had inguinal lapro hernia repair when I was 30. Once they got in there they found a bunch of hernias. Recovery wasn’t bad. Constipation was the worst part. I still get a ‘feeling’ down there occasionally, usually after working out. I know a lot of people have problems with mesh migration….hoping I don’t have to deal with it. We’ll see.

Piggy Stu

Poster Extraordinaire
I ate a load of green leafy vegetables after mine, even though I dislike them normally

Turns out phytonutrients aid repair, so I see it now

Twin52

Tele-Meister
I had a bilateral few years ago. I recall my doctor telling me something like not to lift anything heavier than a carton of milk for a week. It was a few weeks before feeling better. Take it easy and don’t lift anything heavy for a while. If you do I’m sure you will feel the strain.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I had a sigmoid colon resection that began as laparascopic.. and ended with 27 staples in my abdomen plus a drain incision, plus the original peep-hole they use to view their work internally.

Not the same surgery - but I sympathize!

I had several days of IV Dilaudid then tapered down to 3 weeks of Norco - and I needed all of it. I tried to go back to work too soon and had to go home and try again the following week.

More power to anyone that can do without the pain relief, I have a lot of respect for that - but I sure couldn't do it.

I hope you heal well and feel better soon!

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I got up one morning to pee and thought "hmm, I don't remember having three testicles". An hour later, my scrotum was the size of a grapefruit. I went to my pcp and she sent me for an ultrasound. By the time I got the appointment with the surgeon (months), it had gone away. He said "sometimes these things resolve themselves. Don't worry about it".

Same thing happened with one of mine. Ten or twelve hours on my feet at work, I'd be in a fair amount of pain.

Most days when I got home and off my feet, the hernia(s) would "reduce", I think it's called. It was actually pretty predictable.

Gravity becomes your enemy the longer you suffer with hernia.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I had laparoscopic inguinal this past summer. It took about 6 weeks to really feel normal again. after three weeks there was still a lingering testicular pain but it went away between 4-6 weeks. There will be days when you feel frustrated that you are not getting better but the whole thing takes time. I waited 8 weeks before I did any real physical activity. Time is the healer here not medications

Patton

Tele-Meister
I had laparoscopic inguinal this past summer. It took about 6 weeks to really feel normal again. after three weeks there was still a lingering testicular pain but it went away between 4-6 weeks. There will be days when you feel frustrated that you are not getting better but the whole thing takes time. I waited 8 weeks before I did any real physical activity. Time is the healer here not medications

I joked with the surgeon beforehand about getting back to my bowling league after three weeks since he said I could lift twenty pounds by then and I’m throwing a fifteen pound ball. All he said was “We’ll see”. Now I get it.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
My advise:

"Dont pick that up"

Yeah, I havent had a hernia, but have a familial predisposition toward an umbilical. For me and previous family members, its like the opening in the abdominal wall just becomes larger over time.
Mine has become a large "soft spot" that at times feels like a tender sensitive bruise or something.
I know the time for a reinforcement repair is imminent. I have been taking a little extra care, as I dont want to get any medical procedures at this time.
But its coming.

And yeah, I know that is somewhat milder than most of the other types. Yous got my feels.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Had the old inguinal in the soft area to the left upper side of the junk area 'bout 10 yrs. ago. Doc sez "all fixed up, better than new, I sewed mesh in there" (10 yrs later the usual television lawyers are looking for mesh repaired patients)
I followed the restrictions but maybe 4 yrs later it popped out again. As long as I don't over do it, it will stay put but if not, I lay down with feet raised and push it around 'til it returns to its place.
I'd go get it fixed again but with the current medical situation I'm afraid to even go ask about it.
YES, do NOT cheat on the weight restrictions or you will be back!