Just had hernia surgery Friday. Any advice from those who've had it done?

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I had an inguinal hernia repaired. Then the patch failed, so I had it repaired again by a more competent surgeon. I continued to have pain in the hernia area that slowly subsided over the course of a few years. It was pretty bad for a while, but not unmanageable. I'm about 3 years out from the last repair and the pain is finally gone. It can take a while for the muscles to regrow around the mesh. Some folks feel better after a few days. I was not one of those folks.
Mine felt like a credit card was beneath the skin sometimes, but it was the mesh. My story is similar to yours, TWICE, within 12 months.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I am in a state where it is legal and feel this would be a great application for said items.

I do, however, work for a company that is drug free, testes regularly and because I have a CDL (that I haven't used in well over 20 years) has me in a category that tests me even more frequently. So I'm kind of boned there.
It is sad that they have such a stringent policy. What if your doctor prescribed it? The sad thing also is that there is the rif raff of pot and its repetitive use. Yet, this stuff really is one of the best alternative benefits of the the whole legalization. Along with glaucoma. And they market and talk CBD, but I am convinced its THC in the salve that does the trick. They even have it in suppositories'. Anyway , lots of great advice here for you. Yeah, no one tells you this crap. I also had a surprise, anesthesia in my gut/gas. I thought my belly had an alien in it that wanted to jump out. It came when I lighten up on the painkiller's and, lets just say the mother of all Bowell cramps appeared in my abdomen. They certainly never mentioned that possibility.

Intubator

Tele-Holic
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I wouldn't put anything on your wound that is not ordered by your MD, IE "alternative creams, ointments", etc... If your doing your own dressing changes do so with very clean hands and the prescribed materials and methods as outlined in your discharge instructions. Soreness from the surgical wound is one thing, adding an infection to that will be a different ball game you won't want to be a part of... Good luck with a speedy recovery!

Patton

Tele-Meister
Thanks!!

All they told my wife is that eventually the tape over the wounds would fall off and it should be fine by then. Also, when I shower I'm not supposed to do anything in the area of the wounds except let the water run over it. No scrubbing or washing.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn't put anything on your wound that is not ordered by your MD, IE "alternative creams, ointments", etc... If your doing your own dressing changes do so with very clean hands and the prescribed materials and methods as outlined in your discharge instructions. Soreness from the surgical wound is one thing, adding an infection to that will be a different ball game you won't want to be a part of... Good luck with a speedy recovery!
AGREED! I would wait a couple of weeks to apply anything un-prescribed.

Patton

Tele-Meister
Just remember to watch football on the couch, eat nachos and drink a few beers. It’s Sunday.

That's the plan. The Lions start losing in 40 minutes or so, I have some Canadian light beers to help with my fluid intake and it's snowing a little. I'm not going anywhere and I have a damn good excuse not to!!

Just have to talk the wife into whipping up those nacho's. She so great she'll be on board with it.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I had a double inguinal hernia (down low) repaired about 25 years ago. Real pain for a couple days. TAKE the meds! One side is failed now. Been trying to figure out whether to repair it. I have a hiatial and belly button hernia also which have not been a bother.

Mike Simpson

Doctor of Teleocity
About 6 or 7 years ago I had an umbilical hernia surgery and in March of 21 I had right inguinal hernia surgery. The umbilical wasn’t too bad. The inguinal surgery was pretty painful afterwards. As already noted, it really hurt to sneeze, blow my nose or cough.they gave me oxy for pain afterwards but I only took them for a day or so and switched to 10mg gummies since it was legal here. I found that the gummies worked as good or better than the oxy. Recovery was longer on the inguinal surgery.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Thank you all for the great contributions to this thread. I have an umbilical hernia that I've been living with for ten years. Its gotten big over the years and my doctor wants me to have it repaired. I saw the surgeon a few weeks ago, and we're putting off the surgery for a few months so I can drop some excess pounds, which he said would help my recovery.

Anyhow, reading all of the above has me a lot more scared about the procedure than I had been up to now. But I'd rather go in knowing what to expect, so I appreciate the information.

Good luck with the recovery @Patton.

Archtops

Tele-Holic
My tip is no matter what kind of labor you’re resigned to do just always think about the weight you’re moving. Take it slow and easy and don’t overdo it.
Here’s to a fast heal!

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Twice. Take the OXY! You won't get addicted in three or four days, but then stop. WHY? CONSTIPATION. Pain is normal the first few days. Stretching feels like you might tear yourself apart. If ANYTHING weigh more than 4-5 pounds for the first 3 weeks, POINT TO IT. Don't pick it up, let someone else do it. STAY AWAY from children, dogs or other animals. Have cough medicine around in case you COUGH! QUestions?

THIS!
Whatever you do.......DON'T SNEEZE!

The oxy is fine, I'm surprised he only gave you 5 pills. I had hyrdocodone 10mg for 3 days when I had a tooth pulled, and many years ago had it 4x a day for maybe 2 weeks after a car wreck. It ran out and I switched to 800mg ibuprofen and never had any issues at all with stopping hydro.

I'm guessing most of the pain is because they had to cut thru some muscles. I got lucky when I had my appendix out many years ago. I got a surgeon who (they said) was the first one in this city to learn how to remove an appendix without cutting any muscles. I was back in the gym 2 weeks later, but then I was only 19 years young at the time.

murrayatuptown

TDPRI Member
Good luck healing.

Good luck to me in December for same procedure.

I can't say I feel better reading all your experiences, but I guess better than not coming back to tell the tale. (There's some optimism...)