1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just had a weird (maybe genius) idea for a Telecaster bridge that doesn't exist.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by _MementoMori_, Apr 18, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Ever want to access your bridge pickup cavity without popping off your entire bridge? Well, what if you made a two piece bridge with a hinge that allowed you to pull your strings off, adjust your saddles as far back as possible, and then just flip a plate over the pickup cavity without unscrewing your bridge mounting screws? Here's a crappy sketch of the idea.

Dumb Bridge Idea.jpg

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Aside from the fact that I didn't draw a spot for saddles to install... say NOTHING about that! Haha. It's a minor revision.

2. _MementoMori_

Here, before you guys make fun of me. I fixed the sketch.

Dumb Bridge Idea - FIXED.jpg

3. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

The only possible concern I can see would be the hinge pin rattling. Probably an easy fix for someone smarter than me.

But I like the idea.

Steve Holt and Alamo like this.
  4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I like the idea but maybe one would encounter a microphonic bridge too easily.

ScribbleSomething likes this.
  5. Chart72

Chart72 TDPRI Member

I think adjusting saddles as far back as possible is a no-go-if you keep the same setup, screwing the bridge back on is not a big problem because the intonation will be right, but having to move the saddles seems like an extra pain. If I wanted it to be easier to access that cavity I would just “cut the bridge in half” and screw both pieces on.

6. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I think you’d need to screw down the front of the bridge too. Even then it might have a tendency to vibrate too much.

Maybe get one of the cutoff bridges and a humbucker plate the converts to tele. That way everything is screwed down.

Festofish likes this.
  7. maj34

maj34 Tele-Holic

Now you just need to go back in time and give the idea to Leo... :)

8. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Neat idea, but not sure how practical it would be.

Been my experience that that the seemingly most insignificant tiny thing can cause buzzing/rattles and are next to impossible to track down.

With a hinge you have introduced "one more thing" that could cause a rattle/buzz.

TigerG likes this.
  9. Papa Rufus

Papa Rufus TDPRI Member

I'm a machinist. Hmmmmm......

10. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Not that I need it ... Still a cool idea.
    Why the hinge btw couldn't it just be two separate plates? Also, no need to remove strings. Just put a capo on, slacken strings and unscrew the neck. Instant full access - as you have on the front pu when you remove the pickguard screws.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  11. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

seems to me that the cavity can be accessed with a stock bridge by removing strings and 4 screws
    your plan is to move all the saddles (3 or 6 screws). which will need to be relocated when restrung
    that part makes the hinge less advantageous

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

why hinge it...just have a two piece

13. _MementoMori_

Yeah, two plates that both screw into the body achieve the same thing and not at the expense of moving the saddles. I like it!

ScribbleSomething and Papa Rufus like this.
  14. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Thinking about it for pickguards and maybe this bridge pu plate you dont need screws. Two dowels for location and a few of these horribly strong permanent magnets might do the job with a magnetic insert in the plastic parts.

15. Alamo

Status Quo's Rick Parfitt must've had the same thoughts

fender_parfitt tele_body.jpg

16. summer_69

summer_69 Tele-Meister

Or - a trivial and boring idea - introduce a body routing so you have access from the back. Then you dont need to remove anything but a back cover.

Steve Holt likes this.
  17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do you have an un-hinged model? :) Seriously though it looks like a better mousetrap that you could design with a cheap bridge, a saw and a hinge. Go for it!

18. Alamo

or Francis Rossi's

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

19. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

That is a relatively good idea but there are a couple of problems. I like the general concept but I feel the need to point out some of the problems I foresee. One being as mentioned that the hinge pin could work its way out. The second would be that it opens you up to changing pickups much more often...which while it may be okay for some, does not force you to actually learn how to work with the pickups in a guitar that you have. Thirdly, Telecaster bridge pickup routes tend to be rather tight around the pickups, this meaning that when you flip up the bridge it is going to catch on the body. Fourthly, many bridge pickups have relatively short wires so you would need to make solid leads coming from the switch...also you still have to unscrew the control plate to attach the pickups to the controls unless you were to come up with an alternate wiring system. Finally, how are you intending to hold the front part down as it could easily flip open due to either gravity, your fingers, or centrifugal force while playing.

Fendereedo likes this.
  20. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No way...Become Leo and build the Jubilee!!! No that’s crazy.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.