1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just got offered a Les Paul Black Beauty...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by JRtele, Jul 10, 2020.

Should I trade my CS Tele for LP Black Beauty?

1. Obviously, LP is worth twice that

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. You’re an idiot, never get rid of a Fender CS

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. Trade it for 3 American Deluxes. #telefever

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

In my little music room, in a case, is a beat up Ibanez RG that never gets played. I played it a lot a few years back when I was in a loud band and we played small festivals, so the way it stayed in tune as the temperature changed was a real asset.

My partner and younger stepson put cash towards it, even tho they didn't have much, as they knew I wanted one. That guitar will never be sold. As with your tele, gifts from the heart can be beyond monetary value.

gregulator450 likes this.
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why don't you guys trade necks, and not tell the wives?

FWIW, +1 on not getting rid of the gift from the wife. We have a rule in our house: gift guitars and really good deals from friends do not ever get sold, based on the sentiment with which the guitar/deal was offered.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  3. gregulator450

Sound advice.

Bjackcity likes this.
  4. gregulator450

Let's rephrase that: "So you have a beautiful wife who buys you CUSTOM SHOP guitars..."

teletina and JRtele like this.
  5. 52tele69

52tele69 TDPRI Member

don't do it, my wife bought me a rifle once for Christmas, i decided a couple years later i needed a different caliber, traded it, big mistake, hurt her feelings terribly. put your promise first i would say. you'll never get over that look of disappointment on her face.

Mad Kiwi and ricardo1912 like this.
  6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A
    Agreed. Don't look at it as a guitar, look at it as an expression of her love for you.

7. VOXTOTHEMAX

VOXTOTHEMAX TDPRI Member

Wow, I am impressed. I read the entire thread. In an age when your seems to mean nothing the general sentiment I glean is “keep your word” and by doing show you keep integrity. I would never sell the tele even if I never played it. If you hate the neck change it out or modify it until it fits your hand. Guitars come and go relationships should not. If you love the black beauty find another way to acquire that one or save money or sell gear to acquire a better one. Just my two cents. Love this forum and it’s integrity.

lil scotty likes this.
  8. cat dude

cat dude Tele-Meister

Please keep the tele, My wife thinks the BB is ugly,and I do too.That tele is one of the best looking ones we have looked at.I know you would miss that tele big time!

9. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

You promised something to your wife. That means nothing to you. Tells me what I need to know.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

yeah, I definitely do not understand the OP's situation.

Women who buy guitars for their partners are unique and wonderful. Unicorns, really. Thinking about trading that off is a bit off, but aren't we all?

But then OP makes a promise. What part of making a promise don't you get?

basta. enough. Keep your promises. It's not that complicated.

but what I don't really understand is this part of the original post:
    "I also bought a 2009 Les Paul Standard that I love.

So I put it on kijiji recently to see what was out there, and got hit up with this offer tonight:"

This seems to imply that the OP put the 2009 LP out for trade, even though he "loves" it.

why are we even having this discussion?

Controller and moosie like this.
  11. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Happy wife, happy life. I have a CS Nocaster, NOS, and I love that chunky neck. That LP is about $5000 new.

12. Pandak

Pandak TDPRI Member

As you've made that promise to your wife, why not have a luthier reprofile the Tele's neck? That way you win all round and, as you're never gonna sell it, the resale value is immaterial. If you're really desperate for the LP, get a loan and buy it. (Remember, he/she who dies with the most toys wins!)

13. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Keep Tele. Find funds to buy BB.

14. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    why swap out a perfectly working CS tele with something that will break your back and most probably will get a headstock work sooner or later :D:lol:;)

btw .. that's a very beautiful one ..

15. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    LPTyler likes this.
  16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I voted for the LP but I have a soft spot for Customs. My 3 pickup SG cured me of wanting another 3 HB guitar though.

17. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

That’s a fun way to insult someone.
    If you read the thread, I kept the Tele, and the LP Standard was never on the table, either you misread or more likely I wasn’t initially clear.

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I missed your decision on the 3rd page of posts...

Didn't mean to insult; but I wasn't the one ready to break a promise related to a wonderful gift from your wife, as if breaking such a promise would be inconsequential.

the confusion about the LP Standard results from the sequential nature of reading; if you look at the two statements, the subject of the first one is the LP that you love and "was never on the table". But the next sentence only uses the noun "it" as the subject, without clarifying that you were referring to the tele, and not the subject of the immediately preceding sentence.

At any rate, I'm just as off as anyone else, just in different ways. Sounds like you made the right choice.

19. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I had always wanted an SG, (actually a Les Paul) with three humbuckers in it. I finally got the money together and went out to play a few.

Biggest disappointment of my life! The guitar just doesn't have the picking depth I need because the damn middle pickup is always in the way!

Devastated! I wanted to like it soooooooo bad, but I couldn't play it.

JRtele likes this.
  20. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

On the Frampton I just picked up the issue is 80% resolved by lowering the pickup down to the ring.

The way it’s wired (middle is always “on” regardless of switch position), dropping the middle actually makes the neck warmer and adds clarity/ removes some of the muddiness when using the bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.