1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just got offered a Les Paul Black Beauty...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by JRtele, Jul 10, 2020.

Should I trade my CS Tele for LP Black Beauty?

1. Obviously, LP is worth twice that

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. You’re an idiot, never get rid of a Fender CS

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. Trade it for 3 American Deluxes. #telefever

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

Following up on a few of the points made

GAS is a horrible thing. You must meditate carefully.
    I thought Les Paul's were the must-have guitar but... 10 years of searching and 10 les Paul's later, until I found the telecaster. I have 0 Les Paul's and thankful for it.

Things I've learned things for you to consider/ponder.

I think I picked up a black beauty 10 years ago in guitar center and hurt my back,, I think it was 15 pounds, 2003 was a heavy year for mahogany trees. I will no longer buy a guitar more than 7.9 pounds.

I've only ever owned one guitar with 3 pickups. Sold it within 4 months, I found there was no place to strum the strings.
    I found it to be very dysfunctional, so double check that.

I do think it's important to have a purpose why are you buying the guitar? Because it's pretty is the wrong answer.
    It'll look very pretty buried in the closet.

Perhaps it may be an investment in may increase in value.
    Or do you want to play it. It does seem to be a guitar that may fight you. But it probably will make some pretty damn nice sounds for certain music styles G&R slash.

It only costs one ruptured disc, and tuning the strings every 4 minutes. :D:eek::eek::oops::rolleyes::cry::lol::lol::lol:

Good luck

cat dude likes this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

A guitar is just a guitar ...

Meh

Ya win some ...

Ya lose some ... .

In the end . . .

You break even

3. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

OP, you've had that guitar for half a year. All due respect, how much have you played it? Do you really know THAT guitar? It's in and outs?

My $0.02 - get to know that guitar better. And the sentimental value of it is also important - think about this. If you trade for the BB in 5 years and go "oh yeah that's the guitar I got as a trade for the Tele me and my wife picked", will you be OK with that?

I think she'd even be more OK with you buying a BB in addition to the Tele instead of trading.

P. S. Also, if you're considering trading a CS Tele that you designed a mere 7 months later, what makes you think you'd want to keep the BB in half a year?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  4. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Keep the tele, 3 pup LPCs are overrated. :)

MickM and zephyrR1 like this.
  5. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Keep the Telecaster and your wife, buy an Epiphone BB.

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

Your wife deserves better.

7. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

YES... you have more teles, don't you? Do you think they play better than the CS? Keep those you use...

That's your war

8. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Mes amis...
    Thank you for the feedback. After a sleepless night I realized that I’d rather have a beautiful guitar in a case under my bed and a happy household then a sexy new hot rod cranked up in an empty house.

I suppose there’s a metaphor in there as well as to sticking out a marriage?

teletimetx and modavis99 like this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

So you have an attractive wife who buys you guitars. Don’t ask us, do whatever she wants!

10. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

If you’re like most guys on here, your wife already knows that what you said was bull before you said it. When it comes to gear there is very little that lasts a long time around here. Like the 69 deluxe I bought 9 months ago. It was going to be my last amp. Heirloom says I, something I can leave the kids that will be worth more than what I paid for it I says. It now resides in Someone else’s Bless our hearts, we just can’t help it and most of our spouses realize the disease we have.

JRtele and zephyrR1 like this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

That, and don't even come here any more. We are all jealous and we hate you.

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Pi$$ off your wife, see how that works for you.;)

JoshW77 likes this.
  13. Maplecapper

Maplecapper TDPRI Member

My wife bought me a CS Strat for my 40th (57 blonde with a solid rosewood neck). I didn’t promise to keep it forever or leave it to my son, etc.

That said, I’m never selling that guitar. She asked my friends what I’d been looking at before getting it, and what was missing from my collection. At the very least, it would be the last guitar she’d buy me, and most likely she’d be hurt or offended after she put thought and effort into it.

The other thing is that there are about 100,000 other LP Customs out there and you can always save and get another one later. Once you sell that Tele your wife got you, it’s gone.

Brett Valentine and JoshW77 like this.
  14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Why do you need three humbuckers anyway? Keep the tele. As for the wife, I can relate.

15. JoshW77

JoshW77 TDPRI Member

A Telecaster has a bolt on neck so here's my suggestion:
    1. It was a present so you must keep it. As has been said, those are the rules.
    2. It has a bolt on neck. Carefully remove, or have a luthier remove, the CS neck and store it carefully.
    3. Find a tele neck you like better and bolt (screw) it on. People change necks on instruments every day when it is as easy as this. You keep the awesome body and to-die-for electronics and get a neck you like. Depending on how you do it, this can cost from a hundred bucks to quite a few hundred bucks. You could even finish it yourself if your are so inclined.
    4. If you MUST have an LP, get an Epiphone and save thousands. Or order a Kiesel exactly the way you want and support the economy.

I have atrocious GAS but you can fight it and win. Familiarity with 12-step programs helps, and the mantra "It won't make me happier, at least not for very long" repeated constantly also helps.

16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Keep the Tele. By all means, keep the wife. Change the neck on the Tele, leave the wife's alone.
    Shop for a Les Paul Special.
    Thank me later.

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Thanks. That was my question, too.

18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A similar guitar, same model, same year, doesn't equate to a similar neck. They get final shaping and sanding by hand and will vary. Sometimes the variable is how little work to put into the neck in order to quit work at 5:00

19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The fact that the Les Paul is the most USELESS guitar there's anyhow (only good for raWk ) and the tele the most versatile, beautiful sounding and useFULL (there's not a genre of music you can't play with it) should be enough for you to decide.

Not to mention the fact that yours is one of the most stunning teles I have ever seen.

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

That's a wise choice. Anyway, if I were me I'd buy a neck that I was more compatible with. Swap necks and put the CS neck under the bed instead of the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.