1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just got my second Mcvay bender

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Chet Johnson, May 5, 2014.

1. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Just got my second mcvay bender back from Charlie Mcvay. It is flawless. Smooth and silent operation. Keeps in tune perfectly. No huge hole routed out of the back of the body. The meticulous machining looks amazing. I cant say one bad thing about it.

Attached Files:

2. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Why the need for two benders?

3. Chet Johnson

Who only plays one guitar? Firstly, after about 15 years of playing bender guitars, I found myself not playing any of my other guitars. Also, I wanted a spare bender at gigs in case of broken string or other unexpected events.

4. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Oh OK! :eek:

5. roger e

roger e TDPRI Member

McVay Benders

I've got two Crook Custom T Style guitars with B & G Benders, also. One has a Strat middle pickup and all 3 pickups are noise canceling. That is guitar is a bit more versatile for those situations which require a bit more tonal variety and higher gain sounds. The other guitar has a Voo Doo TE single coil in the bridge for a more traditional bite. The McVay Benders work smoothly and flawlessly and get adjusted once a year whether the need it or not. Brilliant workmanship on guitars and benders.

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats Chet, it's real nice.

7. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats Chet! What guitar did you have it put in? Sure is pretty.

8. Chet Johnson

Its an esquire I built with a finish by Mark Moore.

Attached Files:

9. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

Nice post. I am interested...what do you get for the +150 dollars of Forest Lee Vs Mcvay?
    I understand there both good....what is the weight diff....any opinions?

10. Chet Johnson

Firstly, there is no hole routed in the rear of the guitar for all of the parsons levers an linkages. Another benefit of the mcvay is its tuning stability, because it is a mechanism very similar to how a pedal steel works. The string is stretched by the saddle itself moving. On a parsons or Forrest bender, the string is pulled tighter by a hub behind the bridge, and dragged across the saddle. This is a friction issue on the saddle with parsons and needs lubed occasionally.
    Also, a parsons or forrest bender moves the origin of the string back much further behind the saddle than where it used to string through, this reduces the break angle over the saddle and takes away downward pressure on the saddle. This can cause the string to move side to side easily on the saddle and go out of tune. I had to file a notch in the saddle of the last parsons bender that I had to keep the string in place.

11. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

Chet,
    Thank you. I am starting to get real serious and this information helps in the decision making process.
    Terry

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.