Just Got My First Fuzz Pedal...what's your Fuzz of choice?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SaintSilas, Jul 15, 2018.

Which style of Fuzz do you prefer?

1. Big Muff

21 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. Fuzz Face/Tone Bender

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Boutique

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Just got a Green Russian Big Muff RI. I have never been interested in fuzzes but I'm liking it! What fuzz is on your board? Prefer into a clean amp or dirty? Pics are always good! Let's see some fuzz!

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Moen Fuzz Moo for me which is Big Muff-derived. I also have the full size NY Big Muff but it really does get lost in the mix.

SaintSilas likes this.
  3. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

I like Fuzz Faces, but even among those there's plenty of variety. Currently I'm using a CC2 Hybrid Fuzz by Foxrox. In one band I play with I run it through a Sunn Spectrum II head and a 4x12 bottom. The Sunn is really clean sounding, and I really prefer that for using any pedals. The CC2 sounds huge through it.

Sometimes I stack it with an OCD. Definitely thickens up the sound.

Fuzz is also awesome with analog octave up/down pedals.

Last but not least, onboard electronics, like boosts. Those can be awesome with fuzz when your guitar volume knob is down very low.

SaintSilas likes this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Big Muff. Dat is Fuzz.

tlsmack and SaintSilas like this.
  5. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I like my Way Huge Swollen Pickle

SaintSilas likes this.
  6. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz. Two channels (Grindy and Buzzy), plus a decent 25db boost channel, all with low and high cut/boost controls. It's pretty huge going into a 5W (kinda) clean tube combo, and unapologetically rude with a high gain head.

SaintSilas likes this.
  7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

For pure muff tones- Skreddy P19

For versatility - Wampler Velvet

For lower gain fuzz tones with my tele- Dingotone Germanium Hybrid.

SaintSilas likes this.
  8. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Big Muff is what I think of when some one says" Fuzz." You never have to worry about your a tele sounding thin once you hit the Big Muff!! I also have a Carcosa which covers a lot of splatter, Velcro tones, and really cuts through the mix. but for straight up fat fuzz mayhem, Big Muff rules.

SaintSilas likes this.
  9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I'm more of an OD guy than a fuzz guy, but do have use a Wilson Effects Fuzz. It's a 6 knob, ultra interactive pimped out Tone Bender type. And I think I can conjure up just about ANY classic fuzz tone with it. I currently have it set for my Super Reverb as a thick heavy sustainey lead tone.

I'd like to get another fuzz, less feature filled/simpler for no board/on the floor work with my Dr Z Z28. Something not so extreme and wooly that cleans up awesome with the guitar volume knob but that's brighter than the classic germanium fuzzes I've played.

SaintSilas likes this.
  10. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

FE05E79A-7629-4BED-8CCD-588C7DA09E68.jpeg

Please exercise caution—fuzz can be addictive. I don’t actually use fuzz for music that I play, but playing with fuzz is so much fun. I have two very-different sounding fuzzes. The Shoe 314 is a Violet Ram’s Head Big Muff clone with a tone blend control (for bringing back the mids), and the Lovepedal Bonetender is a Tone Bender Mk2 clone. Together, they pretty well have the 60s and 70s fuzz sounds covered.

SaintSilas likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't often fuzz, but when I do, I Fuzz Face.
    I got so inspired once, I grew my beard.
    Billy Gibbons must have been given a Fuzz Face at an early age.

12. Stephens

Stephens Tele-Meister

Bonamassa Fuzz Face does it for me. Great with single coils and humbuckers. Cleans up with the volume perfectly and is a super smooth fuzz.

SaintSilas likes this.
  13. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I like the Ramble FX Twin Bender take on the MKII and MK1.5

Flakey and SaintSilas like this.
  14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's no option for 'El-Cheapo' and boutique would be stretching it somewhat.
    I took a flyer on a Rowin LEF-606 fuzz, and it's a superb little beastie with a wide variety of ( good ) sick tones to be had. Fat as phat, bitey, chewy with added gnarl.

Another cheapie which is not marketed as a fuzz, but as an overdrive ( pah! ) is the Behringer VT911. As an overdrive, it is a choad-sucker. It sounds nothing like an amp being overdriven beyond perhaps a degree or two of rotation of the overly sensitive knobs. What it does do, and does in a manner unmatched is give instant Stooges tone. Asheton in a box. '...dog' tone. Go big, go over the top with it and it has some use. What it isn't is an overdrive. What it is is sonic conflagration.

I'd have to lean toward fuzz face for the zuzz'n'buzz. I don't believe in paying lots of money to knarf up a sound. Cheap, nasty and raucous works for me.

SaintSilas and richey88 like this.
  15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I’ve had quite a few, currently using a DAM Meathead clone and surprisingly TC Rusty Fuzz (cheap!).

SaintSilas likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems it's accepted now that Muffs are fuzz, though they're kind of their own breed.

IIRC I have nine muff variants, three are originals while two are clones.
    Three are Blackout Effectors six knob and are the most versatile, one is silicone and two are Si/ Ge hybrid with more velcro.
    One is the large beaver, also versatile but lower on my preference list.
    My Civil War clone by big knob is my favorite of the stock clones, but the Violet Ram by Chicago stompworks is cool too, though more mid scooped than the Civil war.
    Two original black Russians are too mid scooped but still fun, and the NYC RI is fine but I don't care for it.

The muff circuit does really well with some tweaks, mid boost being pretty important in a mix.

So I voted boutique since those are the most useful to me.

I guess the Civil War is one of the greens, not sure how close it is to the current EHX "Green". That era seems to have had the least scoop so is better at being heard in a mayhem laden situation. Pretty darn bassy though!
    Cranking the gain adds highs and cuts bass, which helps, they often seem almost dialed in but never quite get there the way a boutique variant can.
    The Blackouts have an extra gain stage in front, a mids knob, and a lows knob, so you can control the sound much more.

I like them into a clean amp.

I've owned an original FF and now have a boutique London Fuzz that's just supreme on good days and crap on bad days. The original was way too mushy.

Also have a strange "FF with muff eq" pedal that's another almost there but can't tweak it quite right.

Fulltone Octafuzz is great and everyone needs one!

SaintSilas likes this.
  17. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Way huge Russian pickle. And for when things need to get really insane, a stack a MXR variac fuzz in front of it

SaintSilas likes this.
  18. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

neck pick up,vol dimed, tone on zero on my guitar

richey88 likes this.
  19. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Since I couldn't answer "both" fuzz face and big muff, I chose FF. I could use a FF in more situations than a BM.

I've been through soooooo many fuzzes. Now, I not a collector of pedals, so I acquire and audition in search of "that sound." Let's see if I can list them all, in no particular order: Mini Fuzz Face, Dunlop JH Fuzz, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, ZVEX Mastotron, WH Swollen Pickle. Currently, I have a Blackout Effectors Twosome fuzz, which hits some really great Fuzz Face tones, and a Stomp Under Foot '76 Amheart Fuzz, which is great Big Muff fuzz.

SaintSilas likes this.
  20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Barber Trifecta V2.

SaintSilas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.