Just got hit in a crosswalk

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 17, 2020 at 12:18 PM.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad you weren't out here in California BT. If you had been hit in a crosswalk here, you would know what Texas looks like by now.

Greggorios and tery like this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Screenshot_20201017-140531~2.png

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    SuprHtr, telemnemonics and boneyguy like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm actually sorry you got hit, but when I'm anywhere near a crosswalk, and they motion for me to go, I turn around and look the other way. The only way I'll enter a crosswalk is if there are no cars within a quarter of mile of the intersection. If I don't figure I can make this work, I'll bring my car, at least I'll have SOME protection.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

sounds like a pretty bad one to me.
    Which, that's most country music.
    These days even moreso

MilwMark likes this.
  5. blowtorch

This is me 9 out of 10 times.

This is also why when I walk on road shoulders, which is only when there is no sidewalk to use*, I do the best I can to be walking against traffic. If a car's about to run you down, hopefully you will see that in time to jump to safety, as opposed to when traffic comes from behind you and leaves you for roadkill.

(*if you want to walk beyond suburbia, you will find yourself having to walk on shoulders of roads at times)

6. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

After her name, address and a few formalities, that's the very first question she'd be asked at her deposition nowadays. A generation ago, the cost of insuring a 16 year old female was about half of what it was to insure a male. Because all of today's generation are texting, the premium gap today is just about zero. Texting or any other cell phone use while driving is a major problem for anyone on or near a roadway - whether you're a driver or a pedestrian.

Pedestrians generally have the right of way, but that does not wholly absolve them of responsibility for their own negligent conduct. Also, many states - like mine, for example - have statutes making it a crime to leave the scene of an accident. It is considered a felony here if the accident involved injury to someone.

Lots to think about, blowtorch.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  7. blowtorch

Not really. It's over and done with and any injuries I have are my problem, as I stomped away shaking my head in disgust

I'll tell you though, it pisses a guy right off, you try to stay healthy and all, and some stupid idiot can come along and mess that completely up.

Also i was reflecting, my last three run-ins with cars have all been with women drivers, and it was entirely their fault.
    One backed into me, one rear-ended me as I was sitting at a full stop at a traffic light, and now this

8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

BLOWTORCH? ,, JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY? HOW IS BLOW TORCH BEING USED? AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
    I'VE NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE?
    hmmmm , " Blow torch blues,... her ways burned my heart,
    her blow torch scorched my appetites?
    and left me cold and filled with contempt sadness and rage,
    I'm never going down there never going down there again,

hmmm might be there is a place for blowtorch,

mind like a blowtorch blistered my paint, stripped my gears,
    blowtorch left me flat and out of gas in the middle of nowhere
    I'm never going down there again,

thanks for the inspiration.

krazy kat 333.png

9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I tell ya, dogs have more respect in the crosswalk than a person. Got this damm medium sized cream-colored teddy bear golden doodle. Folks see that darn dog and stop...guess nobody wants to hit a trophy mutt. Those darn mutts cost 4-5k...but ours was damm cheap rescue/rehome.

Vibes and heal up!

Toadtele likes this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Driving at 25mph in a 30mph zone. Pedestrian steps out from between parked cars. Brake heavily, swerve away but still clip the guy’s legs. I’ve driven my car into a pedestrian. Legally and morally wrong? A while back in the UK there was talk of making it the fault of the vehicle every time a vehicle was involved in an accident with a bicycle. Typically you’ll encounter a cyclist blithely hurtling through a red light, coming towards you on a one way street or moving up on your near side in spite of your left-turn indicator having been in for 500 yards. In all cases it would have been the motorist’s fault had a collusion taken place. It was clearly a stupid idea and, thankfully, hasn’t been put on the statute book.

John Backlund likes this.
  11. blowtorch

I founded a band named The Blowtorches, that is why I use the handle.
    In arcane parlance, it once was slang for a musician who performed "scorchingly", usually in jazz/blues/R&B contexts, and often referring to an "extra hot" horn player
    In my personal case however, that would be just wishful thinking

Stubee, P Thought and MilwMark like this.
  12. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

The doctor can jab a big long needle up and under your knee cap and drain the fluid off.

13. blowtorch

Also you just don't hear it; it's unique enough that I thought it'd make a great band name

14. ping-ping-clicka

ohhhhhhh? I did not notice that was your handle . Yes BLOWTORCH great name for a band .
    Also a nasty way of referring to a mean boss, foreman, supervisor, beat-cop, or a Judge.
    The Right Honorable Judge Blowtorch of the metropolitan court of last appeals...

15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm sorry to hear of your accident, blowtorch, and I hope your knee is okay. I won't join the rants about drivers or pedestrians, because I am frequently one or the other, and I'm not immune to mistakes.

Edit: I think maybe just a little rant, after reviewing your original post. I would have stopped to check on whether you were OK, if I were that driver, and maybe run you over again if you weren't, before I split the scene.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 5:56 PM
  16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

2019 pedestrian deaths were the highest in 30 years .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    telemnemonics likes this.
  17. ping-ping-clicka

both cunning and very droll. well played.
    what is the english word form droll and cunning
    I know that there must be a German word for it, after all they have a word for enjoying the suffering of ones foe in a dualictic fashion?

18. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

Ha, it's my sons knee. :( He's a tackle on the o line in college. I saw a video of the play and I'm sure he tore his ACL. MRI tomorrow. We're hoping for the best...

19. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

isn’t this the legal equivalent of coaching the 1992 Men’s Olympic Basketball Team?

20. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Hope your knee heals quickly.
    I was hit in a crosswalk at a corner that made the Dallas news for being a dangerous crossing a week or so before I was hit.
    I was watching traffic intently and thinking I was good to go, started across the street.
    I saw some bozos approaching the corner going waaaaay too fast to stop and I bailed off the back of my bike.
    I was scraped but otherwise fine.
    My Colnago's (think $$$$) fork and front wheel were run over and destroyed.
    The car stopped momentarily and someone asked, "Hey Man!, You OK?," before roaring off.
    Colnago forks do NOT come cheap.
    If I had ridden another foot I would have been badly hurt.

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.