just got an 80's Craftsman drill press

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by flatfive, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nice score.

A drop of 3-in-one oil is probably all you need for that motor. Water pumps on my boiler used to have those "zerks" and they hadn't been oiled in generations. It probably just has friction bearings instead of sealed ball bearings but that's fine for this application because with a belt drive there isn't much lateral vibration or force on the shaft.

BTW Craftsman power tools double the horsepower by putting the "peak" figure prominently on the front of the tool for some reason. A belt-driven drill press really doesn't need much power so it's probably has plenty of guts no matter what the proper rating is.

I'd recommend that you make yourself an auxiliary table with a bigger, smoother (maybe melamine or laminate covered), flat surface area and square edges that allow you to use a self-clamping straight edge as a fence, with slots for a vise-grip type hold-down clamp. I don't have the patience to keep replacing sacrificial inserts so a hole in the center works fine for me. the bigger table is also more convenient for using F-clamps since the edges are a consistent thickness (trying to clamp to the underside of a cast iron drill press table is tricky since there are all those ridges underneath).

2. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

Great score!! heres my contribution, Craftsman / Atlas Craigslist find about 4 years ago, from 1936
    Found a belt at my local NAPA, cleaned it up and put a 3 prong cord on it.

001.JPG 011.JPG

3. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

I'm actually checking out one of these from my local Craigslist over the next few days. Could be a good buy for the price.

4. Mr BC

Mr BC Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nice. I have one just like it. I believe the m/n is 101.03580. Mine is missing the number plate on the base, but I've seen there are a few different numbers on similar presses with only slight variations. Mine had an old Galvin 1/4 hp motor that I've taken off. The cloth wiring is very brittle and needs the windings cleaned.

Looks like it's missing the depth gauge/depth stop.

5. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

So, to jump in the old Craftsman drill press appreciation thread here, I actually picked up one of these today. Mine almost looks the same, but a little different and in not as great condition.

IMG_2432.JPG

I have noticed a few things though that you guys might be able to help with. One, the quill doesn't have any desire to want to return after it has been plunged towards the table. Is this a broken spring perhaps? I'm not really sure how to access the inside of the unit to inspect it. Maybe someone here that has a manual for one of these could shed some light on that.

Secondly, there is a good rattle noise coming from the pulley above the drill head. Sounds like noisy bearings. Is there an official protocol for oiling these that anyone knows of?

Lastly, the lever / whatever that is the belt tensioning doo dad. The thing that maintains pressure on the plate that the motor is mounted to. Mine doesn't seem to budge in any direction to relieve the tension on the belt. Should this just turn clockwise to remove the pressure on the plate? Judging on the scratches that what it looks like should happen!

Thanks, -Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.