Just got a Yamaha THR10

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KC_Crunch, Jul 1, 2015.

1. KC_Crunch

KC_Crunch TDPRI Member

Wow - this thing cooks! Sounds great w/ my Baja Tele. The hall reverb is unreal.

Any other owners/fans on here?

2. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

There are many.

I have one. I'm still deciding on whether to update the firmware on it.

3. KC_Crunch

KC_Crunch TDPRI Member

Is there a downside to upgrading? (hence needing to make a decision)

Sorry - haven't read much about them on here and got it on pretty much a whim.

4. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

No issues with the firmware update as I can see. Download the THR editor to get the best from the amp, Hall, Room, Plate, Spring Reverb... Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, and Stomp or Rackmount Compressor All with adjustable parameters. And the virtual stereo sound is amazing
    The THR10 is the best bang for buck thing I have ever bought.

5. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

6. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

If you just bought one you're probably up to date. I think you can actually install the old firmware, but not sure why you would.

Oh, and welcome to the club!

7. nikola

nikola Tele-Meister

Welcome to the club !

As many have said the update is a good one and I have found it to be so.

Also the editor unlocks a whole other realm of the THR.
    Don't forget to download some patches/setting so that you can get a better feel of its utility.

8. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

Welcome to the fold. These amps are a hell of a ride! I have a 10C myself. I'd like to see a THR/P for pedal...all of the great sounds that are THR in a single, upgradeable floor unit to feed an amp/p.a. along with the usb interface.

J.R.

9. Jaimsitecom

Jaimsitecom NEW MEMBER!

Am currently using a Super Champ X2 but am itching to get this one! One question tho... I use pedalboards and multieffects (digital patches) when practicing and recording, would my effects gear be still usable with the THR10? Or are they useless since the THR10 has its own effects/modding patches?

Thanks in advance.

10. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

My thr10c take anything that i throw at it, (drive, tremolo, chorus, delay, wah, phaser, compression, looper) you name it.

11. Jaimsitecom

Jaimsitecom NEW MEMBER!

great! that's all i need to know. :) placing my order now.

thanks for the quick reply!

12. beexter

beexter Tele-Meister

I picked up a used one recently and am very happy. Best home practise solution I've come across bar none. I also took it round to a friends house for some quiet practise - just the THR and a guitar and I was set. Very portable and sounds great.

IMO, it excels at ultra-low volume. I've practised more since buying this than I ever did before and being able to practise quietly without headphones is very liberating! Backing tracks played through the aux in also sound great too, much better than other options I've tried. It's expensive for what it is but it does sound good.

13. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

We discuss this a fair amount over in the THR5/10 Owner's Club. I am also an SCX2 owner with a bit of an excessive pedal collection, so I know where you are coming from.

The short answer is: Yes, pedals will work with the THR10 (and no, they are not useless). But it is not exactly the ideal amp to use with pedals, and you may need some non-traditional settings on the amp to prevent issues with gainy or bassy pedals in particular, which will tend push that modelling circuit and cause it to "flub out" unnaturally.

The THR10 does have a "Flat" setting, which is basically intended for raw audio sources, but could work well if you have amp-in-a-box pedals, or digital modelling effects. I really like the "CLEAN" model on the THR10 (which is a nice, round Fender tone), but it didn't take too well to some of my overdrive pedals. Then again, if you roll back on the volume/gain knobs (and turn up the output), I think it behaves better.

A lot of people say "you don't need pedals" with the THR10 or that using effects defeats the portability and convenience of the THR10. Which is true to a point, except that it's so versatile, you could imagine people who already have a pedal collection wanting to apply those to a THR10 used as a recording interface or for bedroom practicing.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

I've been tempted to experiment with pedals using the flat setting to see what I could achieve, but I wound up finding a good deal on a Gretsch G5222 (tube amp) that's been great for pedals. This way, my collection isn't gathering dust.

15. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

I use the "Deluxe" setting with gain set just below breakup with a rat and sd-1 (sometimes together) and haven't experienced the "flub" that some have mentioned.

16. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

It just sucks it up and spits out whatever x(modeller)+amp model demands. I have used my THR with a true museum piece, my VG8-EX and I can still get lost in there for hours just playing with the sounds.

J.R.

17. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

I do think these little beauties will only get more and more popular over time ...outstanding bit of gear that takes up no space and transports as easy as a case of beer and sounds phenomenal...thumbs straight up

18. SmithyInWelly

SmithyInWelly TDPRI Member

Picked one of these up in the weekend... absolutely loving it - suits my needs perfectly; sounds great, and doesn't look like a big(ish) boring black box so I can get away with keeping it in the living room... everyone's a winner!

19. BrockDavisson

BrockDavisson TDPRI Member

just got the THR10c last friday for $196 off a friend. I'm in LOVE! Blues/Rock heaven.

20. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble TDPRI Member

Wanting one of those myself. Congrats and enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.