Just got a new vehicle. What wax/protection do you recommend for the least

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Aug 5, 2021.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

fuss & muss, but excellant quality? Camry Hybrid.

Archtops and dented like this.
  2. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Meguiar's. Great for guitars too

Skydog1010 and buster poser like this.
  3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

For something you can pick up about anywhere, Meguiar's NXT is pretty okay. I would get a synthetic vs carnauba.

If you decide to go a little further, I've had GREAT experience Chemical Guys products. Also good experience with Griots and Pinnacle.

Further still, and especially given you being in AZ, you might consider a sealer/coat. Buddy of mine just had his little Porsche done. It's not cheap, but it's supposedly very long lasting w/o swirls.

Good luck and congrats on the new car.

4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Clay bar the car first, then put whatever wax you want on it.

Makes no sense though to just wash and wax the car without claying it, especially when it's new. Start off right and it will pay dividends in the long run.

Claying the car will get rid of all kinds of crap that even accumulates on new cars, otherwise you're just waxing over and trapping in all that grit and dirt that's still left behind after washing it.

I don't go nuts about washing my car. Sometimes life gets busy and I'll literally go months on moths between washing it. But I do try to clay it once a year and wax it. I've used NuFinish the last few years and have been pleasantly surprised.

5. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Holic

Glad you asked this @teleman1
    Looking into a new Tacoma, and much like Arizona our Florida sun tends to bake and flake off clear-coats. Hoping to slow that down with a wax suggestion.

6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We took our cars to a detailing shop recently. They put on the 5 year ceramic wax; pay for it once, then they re-coat it yearly. Sure, it is a bit pricey, but the results were wonderful. We did that for my son's 2012 Buick, and with the paint match they did and buffed out marks and some surface rust, the car looked almost brand new.

For your own application? Clay bar and a good quality wax (Mother's, Meguiars, etc). I don't know if commercial ceramic waxes are worth the cost or not.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

They still wax cars these days?

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

A brand new car should never need any kind of waxing unless you get some sort of damage. My 2015 Honda Accord Sport is as shiny as the day it rolled off the assembly line. I may have waxed it twice. Maybe.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Key it, scratch it up good. That way you can park anywhere and not worry and it wont get stolen.....

Deeve likes this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Ceramic coating has come a long way in the past five years; to the point where it’s a consensus to use.

I've used Zymol wax forever. But there’s this stuff called P21s that a couple of my friends rave about. I’m too cheap to throw out half a tub of Zymol, but next time I buy I’m trying the P21s.

Like @buster poser , I like Chemical Guys products. I use Hybrid V07 over my wax to get a really deep shine. And it’s great for going over the car between waxings, cleaning spots, etc.

teleman1 and buster poser like this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

the last vehicle I waxed was when I had an RV... once a year, took all weekend.

teleman1 and Obsessed like this.
  12. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted

Well, I like getting a lot for a little. No longer do my arthritic shoulders tolerate the buffing and rubbing I used to do. But I will tell you that Meguiar’s Kwik Detailer spray/wipe is a godsend. Beads water like crazy for months, no residue in crevices. Luv it. So easy.

Archtops and teleman1 like this.
  13. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

3M paste wax.

14. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Exactly. What kind of relic job would it be if you used protective coatings?

bromdenlong, Deeve and schmee like this.
  15. buster poser

I went through a little tub of P21S early in my M3 ownership. IIRC, it's straight carnauba (or mine was) so it doesn't last that long and it can be sort of difficult to apply/buff evenly, but lordy that first week after I'd apply it was unreal. I was using a Porter Cable at the time and it looked dripping wet. I think I might've applied over a synthetic.

Reminder to everyone that the keys to a good DIY shine are
    1) removing surface contaminants via proper wash and a followup with clay (or similar)
    2) polishing the car to remove scratches, and finally
    3) sealing with a wax.

Brand/type of wax have very little effect on poorly prepared surfaces. Even on a new vehicle, I'd at least clay the thing.

Stubee and dkmw like this.
  16. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

I use the old school Meguiar's #9 Mirror Glaze followed by #7 Show Car Glaze on my '71 GTO, but it never sees rain or snow. those products shine like crazy but don't protect or last.

My driver is a 2018 Maxima and I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Solutions 53409 and in between washes, the 54313 Ceramic Hybrid Solutions Detailer also. Both have impressed the hell out of me and just spray on, wipe off.

Here's a video that presents a convincing case for this product:

I think the claybar is over-used. If you have a lot of imbedded grime, fine. Run your hand over the paint and if it feels gritty, then it's a good idea to claybar it. I've done a few cars and a $1.00 tub of Stainless Plumber's Putty from the hardware store with a spray bottle of Meguiars Quick Detailer worked as well as the expensive kits.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Meguair’s is good.
    They have some good instructional videos online.

bromdenlong, bgmacaw and buster poser like this.
  18. buster poser

100%. "Premium" clay is a joke, and the "misting solution" or whatever the brand calls it is just soapy water.

19. Warren01

Warren01 Tele-Meister

An autobody guy once told me that if the clear coat is applied properly when the car is painted, there is no need for wax or polish-it doesn't add anything except thin your wallet.

tap4154 and getbent like this.
  20. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I advocate a strict bird poop, pollen and infrequent washing regimen.

Sorry, I park a $40K car on the street because Boston... :D

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.