1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just got a banjitar...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by gregulator450, Aug 22, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just picked this thing up yesterday...

I have seen a lot of alternate tuning ideas, and different string suggestions, like using Nashville tuning or all plain string open G type tunings. If any of you out there have one of these banjo guitars, how do you tune it, what strings do you use, and why?

20200821_150417.jpg

2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Do you know the scale length? If it's guitar scale I'd go for lightish nickel wound with an unwound G as a starting point. I find too much tension and they sound a bit strangled. The short scale ones are a pain, you have to find the balance point between too light and they rattle all over the place, too heavy and they sound dead.

I find the full scale ones work great in guitar tuning, short scale I'd probably try to think out of the box a bit with open tunings.

3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is a full 25.5" scale length. It's got 9-42 loop end banjo-guitar strings on it. I have seen some chatter on the web about running 10-48 "super-light" acoustic guitar strings, and this will hold ball end strings. I thought about going this route because the band I will play it in does a lot of drop-D playing.

I have also seen one guy string his into Nashville tuning and it sounded pretty cool. I will probably try both routes eventually. I am having fun with this dude so far, after giving it a setup this morning.

For banjo guys out there, Frank Ford has an excellent tutorial on adjusting coordinating rods:
    http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Banjo/CoordRods/coordrod1.html

jayyj likes this.
  4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Your best bet is to have fun with it and experiment! If it's full scale you can basically treat it as a G banjo for the top four, so anywhere from 9 to 11 on top will work but watch for overall tension of going on the heavy side, if there's too much it starts sounding a bit muted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.