1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just got a Baja...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chris Twang, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Chris Twang

Chris Twang TDPRI Member

I'm new to this forum, so hi to everybody!

I've purchased a Baja ten days ago. I went to the store to get one of the new American Standard Ash Teles, but the Baja sounded much better than 3 of these so I took it home for half the price of the AS.

I do like the pickups a lot, the tuners stay in tune. The only things I will change are the saddles (for compensated ones) and the capacitors (film-caps instead of those cheap ceramic). And I will do a good shielding.

Any ideas for further mods improving the tone? I'm used to do a lot of mods to my guitars, but this Baja is really good as it is...

Cheers, Chris

2. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

Welcome Chris. There's not a lot to do really, especially if you like the pickups. You could always change the bridge for one of the variants sold by Glendale or similar when you put on the compensated saddles (which are a good idea), and maybe pop on some heavier knurled knobs, but to be honest I wouldn't bother as those Bajas are good to go as is and I don't think you can get an S1 heavy knurled knob with the button on it! Strap-locks maybe? An electrosocket? Can only think of very minor additions.

3. Chris Twang

Chris Twang TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply!

Well, first I thought about changing the tuners, but the axe stays in tune and I'm used to a low ration from the Schaller M6 locking tuners on my strat.

I don't like strap-locks. I prefer having a beer and do it this way ;)
    http://www.tone-toys.com/de/Flaschen-Gummi-Sicherungen.html

This Glendale-bridges look good. Can you name some of the variants? I didn't have problems with the socket so far, but the electrosockets are a good idea, too. Thanx!

Cheers, Chris

4. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum and the Baja lovers club !

I must admit ( as a person that usually likes to change stuff on a guitar ) - I have so far left my Baja just as it is. Even the non compensated bridge sadles intonated fine !

Ironically, If I did anything - it would be to put the wiring back to standard and put some heavily knurled Callaham knobs on. For me the Baja is the perfect marriage of old and new at an affordable price.

Tonally, I hear that folks sometimes fit a Glendale or Callaham bridge - and perhaps a more '3 dimensional ' bridge pickup.

Enjoy that Baja Mojo ... :cool:

5. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Just realized... other than straplocks my baja is the only guitar I own that is stock standard - even my acoustic has been modded

6. Chris Twang

Chris Twang TDPRI Member

7. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations on a great Tele and welcome to the forum! The Baja´s I have tried have all been very, very good for that kind of money. What colour is yours? Sand or blonde?

8. Filthy McNasty

Filthy McNasty Tele-Holic

I made a few changes on mine: Glendale single cut bridge, saddles, paper in oil cap.(.50), neck pickup mounting screws (the factory ones were stripped), and a Pickguardian cream pearloid pickguard. I will eventually change out the Ping tuners with Gotohs when my pedal buying spree ends.

9. dokter B.

dokter B. Tele-Meister

The only thing I changed , is the black plastic cheap pickguard into a backelite pickguard. Further: no need to change anything.
    A Vox Ac15H1tv and a Baja is al I need

10. Thartiste

Thartiste TDPRI Member

Me too... Al I have changed on my Baja is the plastic pickguard for a bakelite one. Everything else is staying as it came out of the factory.

11. iorr

iorr TDPRI Member

Hi Chris,
    Welcome to the Baja club :)
    I changed the bridge pu. The new one is a Häussel broadcaster from rockinger.de - imho more Tele like sounding.
    Compensated saddles is a very good idea.
    Changing the tuners? No need here. They are staying fine in tune.

Karsten

12. Chris Twang

Chris Twang TDPRI Member

@ Stefan: it's sand, but I like those colors, my strat is vintage white...

@ Karsten: I've a Haeusssel BigMag in the bridge-position of my Strat, great pickup! But I like the pickups in the Baja alot. Are you also posting in the Gitarre & Bass forum?

Cheers, Christian

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Other than fresh 11-49s, the only thing I've done to all my Bajas is a Glendale Machined Jack cup. I've done 4 so far in Blackguard pickguards, now I'm leaning towards Callaham parchment for some of the remaining 3. ( all are Desert Sand )

I've changed 5 MIM Teles' tuners over to Gotoh 'klusons', but have not switched any of the Bajas yet. Be gentle to the poly around the neck bores when changing to the conversion bushes. One has Allparts compensated saddles, another has a Stew Mac #0099 plate and # 5167 saddles.

So, yeah these are the production Fenders, as a model, I am least likely to mod. I've even changed the neck out on a pristine 2006 Am Se 60th Anniversary Strat for a vintage specs USACG neck from Tommy.

14. VoodooVox

VoodooVox Tele-Meister

I have not changed a thing on mine although the pickguard has to go. Sounds great through my Hayseed 30

15. Chris Twang

Chris Twang TDPRI Member

Thanx for your posts.

I think, I don't want to put in a Glendale-bridge. I'm happy with the sound of the bridge-pickup and I don't want to spend more than 100 bucks on an experiment.
    I will add a treble bleed cap (220pf) like I do with all guitars and I will take it to my tech to check the fretwork. In most cases the fretwork of mass-produced guitars can be improved.

Cheers, Chris

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That isn't a bad idea. I may search around, see if anyone good is still available here. Since the guitars came cheap and need so little, they do 'deserve' something, and a level and polish done right will help.

As for the Glendale, I predict it will create a clearer sound. If it were just $ 100, I'd have more of them. Maybe Glen will have an introductory sale when this new stuff is back from the polisher.

17. Filthy McNasty

Filthy McNasty Tele-Holic

I have to agree with Boris on the Glendale bridge because there was a noticable change in tone when I swapped out the original bridge for the Glendale bridge. My Baja was definitely brighter and clearer after the bridge change. Glendale may be expensive but he makes an excellent product.

18. Chris Twang

Chris Twang TDPRI Member

I remeber, that I liked the heavier bridge-plate of my former American Series Telecaster. Maybe I should give another bridge a try too. But that's no major thing by now...

19. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Chris, it seems another choice hasn't really been brought out yet: an actual U.S. vintage bridge plate, which with saddles, is about $40 from place like:

http://www.angela.com/

and others, of course.

The MIM's I've seen seemed to have a different bridge plate, bridge pieces, and tuners. A nice tone cap is a great inexpensive addition as well.

20. dirtyolbanjoman

dirtyolbanjoman TDPRI Member

man you guys having me burning for a baja.:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.