Just got 6 1pc ash blanks..but...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newtwanger, Aug 22, 2009.

1. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Well, kinda like the recent 12lb blank post by j.b. horns, there's good and bad to the story.

Wandered in to my local exotic lumber supplier and sitting the was a 110" long by 13.5" by 2" thick slab of flawless ash.
    30 minutes and only $58 later I have 6 perfect 13.5x18x1.75 1pc ash blanks.

...that all weigh in at a portly 10-10.5 lbs each. (remember we are talking $9 each blank though.)

So here's the plan:

One double cut tele (like the pine one I'm working on in this thread). Except with forearm and tummy carves and a smugglers rout under the guard to save weight.

Then I have 5 chances to make a really nice thinline :D

Anyone got better ideas?

Attached Files:

2. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Teleaster Deluxe??
    Im making one soon so at least I will know the RIGHT way to do it after watching you do one and mine might be a bit better!! :) :)

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

The ash looks great! As for the weight, I love heavy guitars. Every guitar I've ever truely loved the sound of was heavy as...well, you know. But I've gotten a little older(ok, a lot older) and my back complains more than it used to. And a 14 lb guitar...I feel for you. Make thinlines, and maybe do like I do. Make one heavy one and save it for the studio, or to play at home when you're sitting down.:lol:

4. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

How much do you think a 10.5 pound 13.5x18x1.75 piece of ash would weigh, once you remove all the wood that doesn't belong in a Telecaster body?

5. newtwanger

My measurements put a standard Tele shape with standard routs at 6.25-6.5 pounds from a 10 pound blank. Hopefully 5.75 with tummy and forearm carved and routing behind the pickguard.

I'll do one tomorrow and let you know exact before/standard/carved&routed weights.;)

6. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Tele-Meister

OK guys , First weigh your 1.75" thickness blank, measure blank size (a Tele is about 160square inches of area)then just find the percentage the guitar is of your overall blank size to get into the ballpark.
    For instance let's say 10.5 lb blank weight and 243 square inches in size. Divide 160(guitar) by 243(Blank) to get pecentage of blank size, multiply that by 10.5 blank weight. Then multiply by .88 to account for 1/4" trim and traditional final routing = rough final weight +/- 10 -15%or in this case about 6lb in weight.

sean79 ,according to my method your blank will yield about a 6lb trad Tele body
    +/-10-15%.

Simple.

It works for me ,good luck, have fun.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Weigh each one individually.

Thinline the 4 heaviest ones, and do the lightest 5 conventional. If a few still seem heavy, tummy cut and swimming pool rout them. I'd avoid the second cutaway. I've only seen a few that work doing that.
    Most look silly.

8. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slice one down the middle so you have two, 5/8" thick pieces and carve an archtop tele!

9. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Damn thats mid 70's Fender Ash!!

10. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Carved Top Thinline. Tele with a Trem.

11. newtwanger

Thanks a ton Brett, That makes me feel better as it puts most of the teles in the high five pound range which is manageable.

You'll be making the necks for these as after making that snakehead one on my own....it just ain't worth the time. ;)

12. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Tele-Meister

newtwanger ,I would try one to confirm weight range and go from there.
    I have found that most of the time one end /side of a board is heavier,adjust layout accordingly.
    Have more fun with the new ones.

13. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Umm, don't buy heavy ash? ;)
    (sorry about that).

Guitar stock is considered to be anything under 2.8 lbs. per board foot, and yours is hovering at 3.6...

It's damn near impossible to judge wood like that if there's only a couple boards in the pile, but if there's a lot of wood to choose from, the lightweight one or two will stick out like a sore thumb...

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah. It really brings you back to earth when you walk in a decrepit old wood mill and you see big boards that've been there so long.

Your first impression is you're the cleverest guy living, until you start picking them up (or trying :eek:) and realize these are the remnants, the boards that were passed over by generations of old hands who knew more than I could ever know about wood.

15. newtwanger

Thanks! Learn something every day! I also looked up a board foot calculator.

Well, I took the heaviest blank at 11.0, routing the cavities and neck put me at 10.6, cutting to shape put me at 7.0.

I'll still be over 6 even with tummy and forearm contours (which I would do anyways as that's my preference) as well as the "smuggler" routs.

Does not bode well for this one, but the lighter blanks should come in at about 5.5lbs. which is what 2 of my USACG bodies weigh, and they are just fine.

At $58 for all 6, I figure if I get one nice thinline out of the 6 blanks, the rest will be bonus.

This is a '67 Fender smuggler.
    [​IMG]

16. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Is a smuggler called that because of illicit implications?

17. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I've made two out of some heavy ash. One weighs 8 1/2 finished (Esquire-style), and the other weighs 9 1/2 (super tele/Brent Mason style). The 8 1/2 has the best tone of any Tele-style I have. The 9 1/2 is close, and after playing a friend's 12-ish Les Paul, it's not really that bad!

I appreciate what Tonewoods said about lumber, though - excellent guidance for future purchases for me as well.

18. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Well, I'd take it with a grain of salt... ;)

I deal in tonewoods, and this is the only place that I've really seen what ash should weigh to be considered eligible as guitar wood...

As far as I'm concerned, ash boards are only interesting to me if they are radically light in weight, like picking up an empty milk carton in the fridge...

They exist, and are usually not culled out at the mill....

19. j.b.horns

j.b.horns Tele-Meister

Those blanks look really nice. Nicer than mine, and apparently lighter. Good luck with those builds and please keep us posted. I opted to put mine on the shelf and build one out of alder. I'd like to see what you do and how it turns out.

20. newtwanger

Thanks! I've got the smuggler routs in now and I'm at 6.4lbs. On to the tummy and forearm carve! This bodes well for the lighter blanks :)

The blanks are no lighter than yours, they are 13.5" wide and yours is 15" so I'm betting about the same weight.

My '72 Deluxe reissue was a little over 8.5 pounds, that's looking to be about what this will be weighing once I'm done.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.