1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just finished my lefty Esquire project

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RelicStrat, Apr 10, 2006.

1. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Just finished my lefty Esquire after letting it sit in pieces for about a year. It started out as a MIJ '52 reissue, thats had the neck PLEK'ed. I changed out all the crappy electronics for CTS solid shaft 250K pots and CRL switch, and also added an Electrosocket jack plate. I bought a lefty vintage AV52 reissue bridge about a year ago on ebay to use for another project and it came with the '52 reissue pup, so thats the pup that in this. I had Warmoth make me the matt black pickguard. I wired it using the CS Esquire schematic. Sounds great, but the tone pot doesn't seem to be working. Both 2 & 3 position both seem to be wired directly to the output jack. I just checked and am positive it's wired correctly though so not sure whats up. Twangs like crazy though, so all in all am quite happy with it. Just got to get the tone pot working. Here's some pics if interested.

Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

The CS Esq isnt drawn correctly.

The best way to wire an Esquire is follow the Duncan diagram and if you want the fixed bassy sound the same as a CS model just replace the 3.3k resistor circuit with a 3300 pfd cap.

3. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Looks great RelicStrat.

I tried to wire up a Tele using a Stewmac Tele switch once, but I followed the Fender Tele wiring diagram, and the thing didn't work, which really pissed me off!

So I looked at the Stewmac wiring diagram, and it was like they had everything backwards from Fender somehow. So I changed things all around (I had a spare switch, so I just started fresh) and everything worked.

So I'd take a serious look at how the switch is wired.

Pete

4. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Hey Mark,

The Duncan one is the one I used that you provided. I thought it was the CS Esquire schematic.
    Linky
    I must have mistakenly thought the Seymour Duncan CS Esquire was the only CS Esquire. Anyway I just have to troubleshoot it and find out why it's not working correctly.

Thanks Pete for the comments!

5. pblossom

pblossom Tele-Meister

Probably a left handed switch!

6. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Are you saying to use Duncan "Standard Esquire Wiring" schematic and leave the two .05uF caps as is and just replace the 3.3K resistor with a 3300pF cap? Thanks!

7. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Don't think there is such a thing. Anyway it's just a normal "CRL" Fender part # 099_2041-000 three way switch.

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

That looks a lot easier that Fender's Esquire wiring!

What am I missing here? What's a CS Esquire?

Here's Fender's wiring diagram, in pdf form. I'm going to have to copy this out of here and make a jpg before I attempt this:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdfs/50sESQUIRE/SD0131502APg2.pdf

Pete

9. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Ha, I don't know now! I thought the CS Esquire circuit did away with the two .05uF caps and 3.3K resistor configuration and got replaced by the single 4700pF cap. Suppose to give a wah pressed down in the middle type effect instead of the fixed bassy sound? At least thats what I thought from reading archived posts. I'm just going to rewire it using the Duncan "Standard Esquire Wiring" and then play around with it after I get that working.

10. pblossom

pblossom Tele-Meister

I was only kidding about the left handed switch.

11. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Another slight to us Southpaws

I'm a fellow Lefty and the tone knob on my MIM Standard sunburst Tele didn't seem to do much at all. It was wired as it left the factory -as per the lefty Standard Tele diagram on Fender's website.

On a hunch, I reversed the wiring on the tone pot and ...son of a beotch...it worked as advertised.

Fender seems to have trouble wiring their guitars for lefties; i.e. their own wiring diagrams are backwards(?)

After further research on tone pots, I discovered that there is a difference between the outside lugs on a normal pot - one is high output and the other is low output.

Anyone else encounter this?????

Geez, you'd think they could get it right after all this time?!?!?!?!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.