Just finished another one!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Davecam48, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi All!

As I have too many guitars SWMBO keeps at me "Why don't you make something you can sell???"

So...................I have sourced some timber from a noxious weed here in OZ and have made a few jewellery boxes the first was for "Her indoors'" daughter for a birthday present and I enjoyed the process so continued on and made a couple more. Haven't sold any yet as SWMBO seems to have claimed those finished as hers and spirited them away in a wardrobe, but this one still resides in the sawdust factory, where she fears to tread!

Anyway some pix for your "listening and dancing pleasure!"

DC IMGP0226.jpg

Attached Files:

eallen, Mat UK, stormsedge and 8 others like this.
  2. Davecam48

IMGP0228.jpg Stuffed up the photos a bit but you'll get the idea!

DC

Mat UK, stormsedge, idjster and 3 others like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks great, nice flame on that. What weed is it made of?
    Bougainvillea trunk? Box Thorn?

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The local bloke who milled my silky oak blank down was in the middle of an order from Costco for 3,000 odd kitchen cutting boards... he was churning through a stack of camphor laurel boards to make them..

I commended him on helping with the weed problem..;)

stormsedge and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Davecam48

The timber is Camphor Laurel and is a declared noxious weed here but has the most beautiful and variable grain and highlights of anything you'll see, and it smells nice as well and will keep the ants and cockroaches away!

I milled these from a few old muddy pieces a mate and myself removed from a ladies home after her husband passed away and for years I used a few to jack up my boat trailer and rubbish trailer when they needed undercarriage work.

Never could tell by looking at it what it was because of the dirty and discolored exterior, but the first cut of the band-saw blade it screamed "Camphor Laurel !!!!"

Beautiful beyond imagination are some cuts!!! I cut and milled a piece a few months ago for the step-daughter's birthday box, and one piece had an almost photographic image of an old biblical type lady sitting on a rock staring straight down the lens. I had to mill it to thickness for the job but after the second pass through the drum sander she had disappeared never to be seen again, but the grain still has marvelous grain and opalescence.

DC

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

I did my bit to tackle the bougainvillea problem years ago. If boxes like that could have been made from it I wouldn't have risked the fine driving this load to the dump.
    Yes that's all on the back of my f100.:)

f100 1.jpg

trev333 and stormsedge like this.
  7. Davecam48

The photos really cannot display the movement in the grain with the light and viewing angle but is just keeps moving as you watch it. Beautiful stuff!

Gidday Trev!

DC

8. Davecam48

It grows quickly that Bougainvillea don't it?

DC

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Sure does, I got sick of trimming it all the time so cut it all out at the base and had to rope it like a wild bull to get it on the back of the f100 because the thorns are like huge needles.
    I tied half bricks to the end of ropes and threw it over then dragged it on to the tray.
    I drove it 15 mins to the dump just like that in the pic. taking nearly 2 lanes all the way to get it done in 1 trip..:D

trev333 likes this.
  10. trev333

I grabbed a few pieces out of his off cut pile to have a look at.... too thin for a blank...interesting to sand some up and try some stains/finishes, etc....

might be handy for something... a cutting board maybe...:D

DSCN2713.JPG

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Davecam48

The interior of the boxes are left un-finished to allow the camphor smell to escape.

DC

12. Davecam48

If you get too many and decent pieces Trev., let me know we might be able to do some swapsie!

DC

13. Chunkocaster

Isn't the camphor wood toxic to breathe in?

14. Davecam48

I like the smell very much as when we were kids and had a cold Mum would rub Vicks Vapour Rub on our chest when we went to bed..........keeps the nasal passages open.

Having said that I always wear a filter mask when cutting or sanding.............no sense tempting fate!

DC

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

beautiful workmanship , beautiful wood.
    mmmm' a lap steel made of that wood with the same finish,
    a dream come true

16. trev333

the guy had slabs delivered from northern nsw all cut to thickness.. then they cut it onto pieces, the cut a TV window shape out of those to sand up for cutting boards ... the rest of the offcuts were put in a trailer and taken away to a burn pile at his property..

the kid I made the river tele for has to fill the trailers and take them away and burn them....

17. Davecam48

Hey Trev!!! If you could get a nice dark grained piece big enough I reckon it would make the best Tele top you could get.

Every slightest move will change the appearance especially if its highly polished.

I French polish the boxes, the wood seems to take to it very well.

DC

18. Davecam48

I spotted an ad on E-bay or Gumtree a few days ago for a whole shed full of C.L. for $5,000 seems the owner was quite ill, but you'd need two or three sheds to store it in.

DC

19. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That is some beautiful weed... (and that's sayin' something a little different from a guy in California! LOL)

I have become quite enamored of using fire wood, scraps and 'trash'. I picked up some acacia logs a few months ago that was being cut down in my daughter's neighborhood. I made my first item out of it the other day. I'm looking forward to more. I've also just made some small boxes (Xmas presents for a couple of granddaughters) out of the cutoffs of old pine I made my Tele out of (ten years ago? Sheesh where did the time go?).

I've decided this year, any gifts I give, I will make. It just means more to me, and hopefully to the recipient.

20. Davecam48

Yeah time flies alright John!!!! It only seems a short time ago that I was working and travelling all over the country doing calibrations and repairs to audiometric "stuff" and was hardly ever home.

I have to find a different diversion rather than guitars just as soon as I finish a semi-acoustic that has been clamped in the bench vise awaiting inspiration for about 8-10 weeks now. The jewellery boxes are a bit of a challenge and look nice when finished and French polished, but will probably end up with a ship load of them all round the house unused and neglected just like these guitars.

I'm trying to get my back fixed enough to allow me to launch and use my boat again. I used to love fishing but it hasn't seen the water for a few years now. As Ned Kelly said............"Such is Life!"

DC

Axis29 and trev333 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.