Just curious, might be the wrong forum...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dlew919, May 8, 2021.

1. Sasquatchwisperer

Sasquatchwisperer Tele-Meister

The only ones I ever liked were the two I built around Vintage necks.
    Two NOS Schecter necks from the Dallas era. To me that’s really the only purpose of doing a partscaster, a great old neck or body to build around.

2. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

I put together a list to give me an idea of costs. These parts aren't cheapo Chinese but neither are they anywhere near top of the range. For example pick ups are Vanson Alnico which are decent enough. Anyway in case it helps,

Edit - Forgot shielding

Costs.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    dlew919 likes this.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I build from scratch. I rarely use manufactured bodies or necks. I buy decent billets of wood online, usually larger slabs that can yield enough for two or three instruments. I use good to excellent quality hardware and pickups. Cheap components result in misery, and I’m too old for more misery in my life. Buying second-hand helps a lot.

My approximate costs in US dollars:
    • $150 for woods
    • $200 for pickups/electronics
    • $120 for hardware and fretwire
    • $40 for finishing supplies (my finishes suck)
    The real cost, of course, is labor….

dlew919 likes this.
  4. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

There is no single and accurate answer to your question :).

What kind of guitar?

1) Acoustic

2) Electric

What sort of quality are you expecting?

1) Cheap import

2-4) Intermediate

5) Custom shop

Then ya start getting into dozens of questions about different woods and different finishes, different pickups and electronics, etc., etc.

Consider a simple thing like tuners - you can spend anywhere from $20 bucks to $200 bucks just for a set of tuners.

Maybe not the answer you hoped for, but it's as accurate as your question is :).

dlew919 likes this.
  5. pi

pi Tele-Meister

And this is still underestimating. Don't forget nut, strap pins, knobs and switch tips, string tees, ferrules, and neck plate. None of these are expensive, but the little things start adding up. Plus to source all this stuff requires orders from multiple vendors, costing $5-10 per vendor for shipping.

And after all this, it's still not finished. You'll need a few cans of lacquer at $20 a can.

dlew919 and telemnemonics like this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

No matter what I do, it costs me between 650-850 and about 80-100 hrs of work. This is using mostly USA made Fender parts. If you buy actual Fender bodies and necks than you can pretty much double those numbers. Sometimes you can save a few bucks in buying used, good, parts but that's not much of a savings at the end of the day. It all boils down to the quality of the parts. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason....

dlew919 likes this.
  7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

$1200? I don't know where you're buying your parts from but my first 3 partscasters were all high quality and even here in Canada - which is more - the cost was no more than $700. Warmoth body and neck, Fender pickups Gotoh tuners and bridges..

dlew919 likes this.
  8. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

I do a couple of scratch builds a year and generally have between $350 - $450 in materials and parts by the time I'm finished. I also assemble from parts and can generally end up with a really nice instrument for less than $600 if I'm patient and source the parts I want when they're on sale.

On the other hand, I just ordered parts for an off the hook '51-ish Pbass. Just the neck and body (brand new USA Fender Telecaster bass neck, Warmoth custom painted '51P ash body) were over $1100. Add the hardware, pickups and a new Fender tweed case and I'm into this one for about $1700. Yeah, that's probably an insane amount of money to spend on a build for a lot of people, but trying to find something even close pre-made was at least double that. It's going to be a spectacular instrument that's exactly what I want when it's finished.

dlew919 likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

True but it's not an invoice for a guitar order, just examples of top quality parts that don't cost that much, as an alternate view to the common scenario where one pays well over $1000 or has to settle for iffy GFS parts that are only sorta close to right.

Anybody who thinks a DIY guitar requires $20 rattle cans, lacks imagination!

Too much DIY obsession goes to PIO caps, nitro finish, and stratospheric priced boutique pickups and hardware.

A Telecaster is a tool, but common good parts and put the durn thing together TO PLAY MUSIC WITH!

I think shoppers get really bad or at least confusing info from parts obsessed gear chat posters, info that has literally zero/ nada/ nothing to do with musical instruments and everything to do with bragging rights and membership in TGP fandom.

"What it costs" and "how much you can spend"/ "how much I spent" are two very different things.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    pi, epizootics and dlew919 like this.
  10. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Most of my guitars are finished with about $10's worth of paint & clear rattle cans (and I haven't received any comments about the paintjob looking cheap).

I have built a whole bass for less than $80, and $40 went into the tuners...But then winding your own pickups and building most of your hardware does help. As well as having the tools & a bunch of more or less free wood.

11. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Putting aside the material cost of building my first two guitars; I would estimate (very loosely) that for every £1 I spent on materials, I probably spent another £1 on new tools and spillage... possibly more

And by spillage I mean those extra bits I purchased here and there: materials I didn’t end up using, tools I didn’t need, hardware I didn’t like, failed spray booths. They’re all gathering dust in drawers now... I may make use of them one day though!

I guess what I’m saying is, as a DIY builder, even if you can work out the material cost of a build, you will soon be faced with mounting invisible costs...

dlew919 likes this.
  12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Pitbull have some nice looking kits available, with free shipping in Australia. I have no experience with them so this is in no way any kind of recommendation, but...

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/tl-style-kits/

Crafty Fox and dlew919 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.