Just curious, might be the wrong forum...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dlew919, May 8, 2021.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

But, if you're building, how much does it cost you to build a guitar? Cash cost (or credit), not the emotional cost, and not labour (unless you're paying someone else for something)...

Thanks in advance.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Sasquatchwisperer

Sasquatchwisperer Tele-Meister

American made parts. About $1200 ish
    The neck will probably cost the most.

thing about partscasters though, you never get back what you put into it.
    you’ll be selling it unplayed.
    always looking for “greener grass”.

Your better off buying used.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

From scratch?

Depends if you already have the tools and what types of wood you use

Also depends on the level of electrics/hardware you use

If it’s absolute scratch and you need tools it could be thousands

If you have the tools then you could build one with decent hardware and electrics for 6-800 or so (This starting with blanks)

Variables!

*usd

effzee and crazydave911 like this.
  4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Depends completely on the things you use to assemble it. If you're making a partscaster tele, for instance, and buy a prefinished body and a prefinished neck, that can range from $150 to $900 or more. Pickups, tuners, pots, bridge, pickguard, switch, control plate, strap buttons or straplocks, strings can run from $150 to $700-$800 depending on what you choose. If you make your own body and neck from scratch, and already have the tools to do do that, you'd need to buy wood, a trussrod, fret materials, and finishing materials. There's no "normal" cost - but I'd say it'll range from $250 to $2000 in most cases. (I'm referring to US dollars, I see that the OP is in Sydney, so I presume a lot of this would be more, not less, expensive there).

crazydave911 and archtop_fjk like this.
  5. dlew919

You'd be correct re the cost.

I'm not planning on building a guitar from scratch- I have not the skills or the tools. I'm slowly assembling a partscaster. This will cost 150? somethign like that. But I was just curious about how much it costs to get a pile of wood, some pickups, etc...

Also while I'm here, how much for an acoustic?

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

dlew919 likes this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

how long is a piece of string?...;)

my first guitar build was @ 200 bucks in parts, that included a mighty mite neck from the US. it puts a lot of expensive guitars to shame....:lol:

don't get caught up in buying a bunch of expensive parts that aren't going to give you any more bang for your buck than budget/used parts....:twisted:

8. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I make the body and the neck from wood from scratch as I have quite a bit of furniture building tools and experience - I'd say about $400 for good quality parts and a couple cans of reranch...Now could I sell one for $400 ? probably not tele 5 j peg.jpg

9. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Then there's the really low end of this.

I used reclaimed wood for the body. I found used neck off guitar fetish. A few parts from Bezdez. Maybe $85 total for a pinecaster esquire.

edited to correct my terrible spelling.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    dlew919 likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

My last partscaster cost as much as a telecaster.

Fretting out and dlew919 like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

USA body from taurowoodworks $80
    MIJ neck from Allparts $109
    Fender 52 RI Tele bridge & saddles $35
    Guard $15
    Control plate $12
    Switch $20
    Pots & jack $20
    Gotoh MIJ tuners $45
    Pickups easily $100 from numerous good not Chinese no name sources
    That’s up to $436 not counting shipping, and all parts are US or MIJ.

If you want prefinished parts the price goes up but the idea of DIY is generally about doing that kind of stuff.

Sure you can spend $1000 or more but $500 will easily get you top quality parts as good as FCS mills sprays and assembles.

dlew919 likes this.
  12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

First a couple of qualifiers. I don't build cheap guitars. I don't build to save money, I actually don't care what a guitar costs. I use beautiful woods, top level components, spend a lot of time on finishes. I keep a spreadsheet on every guitar I build - I can tell you exactly what each one cost.

Acoustics generally run 500 to 900 for materials, including tuners and a fitted case (every guitar gets a case)

Solid body electrics generally run 500 to 1000 depending on the body and top woods (I frequently pay 200 for a really nice piece of maple) and electronics (I've paid $300 for a set of pups). Solid body electrics get a fitted case

Odd ball instruments - archtops and semi hollows and resonators can easily run a grand for parts and often require a custom case (figure 300 and long delivery)

In addition to the material costs I have a policy of buying a new tool or jig or fixture that I figure would have made the last build easier - that can be 2 or 3 or 500 bucks, and of course there was a sizeable investment in lutherie tools when I built the first acoustic guitar 16 years ago.

And then last summer I challenged myself to build a guitar out of materials I had under the workbench with basically hand tools . I had to buy a set of tuners. So figure the cost somewhere between 100 and 1000, plus a few hours of time...

Edit, I just realized you are in Australia - that probably changes a lot of things. You do have some great tonewoods that aren't easily available to me, but you may also have some big shipping charges on parts from the US or EU.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Fretting out and dlew919 like this.
  13. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Have a look at Realparts.com.au for locally supplied parts. You'll have a choice of various price/quality parts.

I won't buy from ALS in Queensland, but maybe you can check them out too?

dlew919 likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

This is why unless I want something unique I’ll just go factory

I put a jazzmaster together, if I would have just waited I would have been able to get an av.65 that would retain its value

But I’m the type of person that I’m gonna put the best I can afford into something

Why half bottom it?

dlew919 likes this.
  15. dlew919

thanks. Checking then out for my parts after.

may I ask what’s wrong with ALS?

16. Crafty Fox

I bought guitar plans from ALS, (buy 2, get 1 free) for Gibsons L5, 335 and ES 175.
    The drawings were grossly inaccurate.
    But fortunately I traced over the E 175 plans onto plastic drafting film (my normal practise) prior to building the body mould. When I folded the plans along the centre line I saw that there was no correlation between the two halves! Imagine trying to accurately align the neck?!
    I did some digging and found an earlier complaint on an Australian forum where the other guy was actually well into the build before he noticed the anomaly!
    He contacted ALS who'd accepted that there were errors but did nothing about withdrawing the plans from sale. And that had been brought to their attention at least two years before my purchase.
    Furthermore, if you compare their prices with identical items from StewMac, USA (who are not known for being economical, but great on quality and service) you will see that, in my opinion, it seems as if ALS multiply their prices by whatever today's date is.
    I ended up borrowing my mate's Epiphone Sorrento to base new drawings on. I also work from the Benedetto drawings.
    Of course, these are certainly not my first instruments! I'm on number 17 now.

IMG_2894.jpg

richiek65 and RiversQC like this.
  17. Crafty Fox

I've just had an idea........you might also consider buying a cheap electric guitar kit. I think the supplier might called Pit Bull Guitars, or maybe Bulldog? I think they are here in Perth.
    My mate with the Sorrento got one recently and I'll be helping him put it together soon.

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I've built a Tele, a hardtail Strat, and a whammy Strat.

I used premium parts for all three. All were well under a grand (over ten years ago), and they all came out great (eventually). They're all comparable to much more expensive Fenders.The whammy Strat is a lot like an Eric Johnson Strat. The Tele is vintage-style. The hardtail is what it is.

For the Strats, I got pickguards assemblies complete with pickups and whatnot, since I'm not a great solderer. That boosted the prices a little.

And I needed help with things like getting the bridge set right. Knowing someone who has experience can make a big difference.

The biggest challenge was spraying nitro. The Strats came out well, but it took a few start-overs. So I tung-oiled the Tele, which was easy.

All in all: I can't give you exact figures. As I recall, the whammy Strat came to about $900 (Fralin pickups and Callaham hardware were a bundle) and the other two were less. One Strat has a Warmoth body, the other two bodies were from USA Custom Guitars, a great little outfit. Two bodies are one-piece, and all three weigh under four pounds, which also added to the prices.

It was some of the best money I've ever spent. All three are dream guitars. Roll over, Fender!

dlew919 likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Get a Thomann/Harley Benton kit to start with:
    https://www.thomannmusic.com/search_dir.html?sw=guitar+kit+harley+Benton&smcs=de1dad_1433
    There are several styles, the T-type is $80 plus shipping for US, Australia? you'll need to check.
    [​IMG]

You can buy a Glarry Brand complete playable guitar off Amazon for $80-ish including shipping.

If you have no tools what I suggest you do:
    Buy a Fender MIA or MIM neck and put it on the Glarry guitar. Then over time you can swap in an MIA/MIM wiring harness (Pots 'n Caps), one of which is a 4-way switch to give you the pickups in series humbucker tone.

dlew919 likes this.
  20. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Haha a thousand plus? Please! If you spent that kind of money in a parts caster and it ain’t what you want...well you should probably stop building parts casters.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.