Just clicked the "Zero Glide Nut" ad. Who has this?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Is this legit? I watched the videos and it seems like a good idea but how do you know it really works?

I've replaced the nut on my Tele with a Graphite one and it's okay, better than the stock plastic one. I don't like the way it looks though so I was just going to buy the Stew Mac 10" bone but wanted to know who has this.

If you don't know what I'm talking about or can't see the ad flashing on the side of you computer screen here is the link.

http://www.zeroglide.com/

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just another gimmick that we have got along for 60 years without.

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think it's a gimmick.

I have a selmer style guitar with a zero fret, and it's always seemed to me like an excellent idea. You get a much more uniform tone from the open strings, and cutting the nut becomes a much less fussy business. I'm not sure why they aren't more widely used. I've been planning to get one of those next time I do a free form build

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    MatsEriksson likes this.
  4. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I was waiting for "who plays open chords anyway" reply so I beat whomever to it.

I may try it just so I can show it on YouTube Channel.

5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The big problem with the nut is strings sticking in the slots when you bend and going temporarily out of tune. This won't eliminate that problem. The Graphtech teflon impregnated nut (black tusq) seems to work better than anything else I've tried. I've got one on my Strat, just haven't gotten around to making one for my Tele.

6. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I have the same nut on my Tele but I don't like the color. Here is a pic. I guess now that I'm looking at a birdseye it matched the black on the body. When I'm playing the guitar it looks out of place.

The Strat nut is stock but I'm turning this into a Suhr clone and was going bone. If I try this Zero Glide on my Tele and it works this may be an option.

[​IMG]20160614_202752 by Joe Pisciotta, on Flickr

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

With a zero fret the nut slot can be much more looser--not sloppy loose, but depth becomes much less important and it's really only side to side that matters. Is sliding over the fret more or less friction? Not sure of the answer to that one

8. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

The zero fret was a lot more common in the 60s, I can remember the Selmar and Futurama guitars
    both had them and I had it on another which I can't remember the name of.

9. eddy8dynamite

eddy8dynamite TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have an old KAPA Continental guitar which were made with the zero fret. Can't say that it causes any problems, but I can put just about any size strings on it without having to fiddle with the nut.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

The zero nut was primarily a way to production line a guitar a little easier. Remember brass nuts?
    Yeah you get a briter open tone,
    which sounds odd if you have say one open and two fretted.

11. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

I installed the Zero Glide on my partscaster several months ago. I love it and I've always liked a zero fret better than just a nut. The installation took about an hour (I work slow). The installation lowered the action quite a bit. I've always LOVED my partscaster, but now it is just even better.

MatsEriksson and bloomz like this.
  12. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Got pics of the install?

13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Isn't the Graphtech nut product available in non-black?
    I have a compensated acoustic saddle from Graphtech and it's not "white" like crazy plastic - it's more like ivory or bone color.
    I associate the brass nut w rock music from a specific time period - not to my taste, but very satisfying to some others.
    Since I listen w my eyes, I can't imagine using a zero nut.
    Peace - Deeve

14. ebb soul

Is it stainless? If not it will wear down, because I've seen these old Canadian guitars...I'll stick with my LSR.

15. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I put one in my flipped Strat and was so impressed that after 15 minutes of playing, I ordered another one for my current Tele build. Trouble is that after only an hour or two of playing this happened...ping city...see pic.
    I phoned the company and they said I probably got their first version with softer frets ( I'm on the Wet coast of Canada...$36 plus shipping) and they are sending me free of charge two sets of their new frets which they say are 60/40 nickel silver.
    bottom line...I hope they work as this mod made my guit sing intonation and action-wise...if it's good enough for Django and Brian....

Attached Files:

MatsEriksson likes this.
  16. tlandonevans

tlandonevans Tele-Meister

Zero Glide Nut?? Might have to look into this. I'm usually not open to prosthetics for already fully functioning organs, but this might be an exception. I'm sure the girlfriend would get a kick out it.

17. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Whoa, I would think if they have this style down pat they'd be using a harder metal. Guess that's the case for a corian, bone or tusq nut, not dings.

At least they took care of it. I hope for your other guitar you get the harder ones.

Other than that you sound impressed. I may go this route and remove the Graphtec nut on my Tele.

18. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Roger on removing the graphtech nut...that's exactly what I did. I hope the 60/40 nickel silver frets will suffice and if not I'll lobby them to make me a SS one.....play an open E through your tuner and then play a fretted F. A tad sharp,eh?

MatsEriksson likes this.
  19. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

I recently installed one( zero glide)and the same thing happened to me as to screefer, grooves in the fret.since I bought it from stew mac I wrote them. They say they have not heard of problems but they would send a new fret.
    I bought the pre slotted one and the slots are big(.018 on the high e)this may part of the problem, too much side to side play. I have had other gtrs with a zero fret and tight slots and had no issues.This being a holiday weekend in the US I'll have to wait to contact zero glide. I put back in my bone nut and I do prefer the zero fret on my gtr.
    I hope zero glide fixes this problem.

20. ebb soul

Extreme wear is inherent to the zero fret design.
    It just is, as the string is always either pulling across it or oscillating upon it.
    A stainless steel fret is the only viable solution.
    it just seems to me that this 50 yr old idea were valid it would be a bit more common than just some of the oddball Canadian guitars.
    Gibson did it nearly across the board for about a year, now they are pulling away from the idea already.
    Con incidence that it's about a year it takes for a common metallurgy zero to wear down past first fret height? Maybe. But bears out what I'd witnessed back when I did luthiery for Curbow.
    A zero fret wears at a rate of 10 to 1 over fret 'player wear'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.