Just brought home a very nice 2015 Les Paul Traditional.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tonyj, Jun 25, 2019.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Having looked at this particular guitar for more than a few days, and knowing the 'gossip' that these guitars have generated in recent times, I finally did hit the "what the hell button!" and went for it.

Common sense and logic had told me "No!", but the more common sense I applied to the dilemma, the more I hesitated, and the more I was going to kick myself if I did miss out on this sweet looking, and great feeling guitar, which was actually in excellent condition for a four year old guitar.

The robot tuners??? The first thing I looked at - or tried to look at, but they weren't there. PGonzo! .... and no tell-tale holes either. Hey things were going my way.

The 'robots' or 'g-force' tuners were probably, for me, going to be a show stopper anyway.

I own a 2015 Les Paul Junior which as I am a big fan of LP Juniors and Specials, I had to have. The Robots could be fun, but could also be a 'pita' at times and somewhat 'moody'. I still have the guitar and a couple of years back decided I should buy a spare lithium battery. This was a total dog and pony show. No dealers I approached had them but would continue to tell me they were only $19.95 anyway, should I find one.

To buy a 'Tronica' spare battery I eventually had to order one from Germany, and had to buy the charger and other bits which they included for various international sockets and plugs, and which with shipping cost me over $100

OK, back to the 2015 Heritage Cherry Sunburst LP Traditional, which I was getting a little closer to buying.......in their place, i.e. the 'g-force' stuff, was a nice set of Kluson style tuners..... (probably genuine Klusons anyway) at one end of the guitar, and a gleaming pair of little used humbuckers at the other end: and which on close examination of the rear pot cavity soldering evidence, had not apparently been replaced from new. The HB's were decked out with what looked like 'chrome' covers to me but the '59 Tributes which I believe the 2015's originally had were supposedly 'nickel' shod. Still not sure which HB's this lady has, but they are staying as they are, for now, as they sound really fine. I do have a brand new set of '57 Classics ready to go should I change my mind down the road.

Another contentious issue such as the metal "zero whatever nut" remains - as yet - a non issue. Can't think why it would be become problematic either, as there are no robots present to create any excess wear etc, and changing nuts is no major or expensive deal anyway.

The hologram is just that. Non invasive and is certainly not going to keep me awake at night.

The 'Les Paul 100' decal is non threatening too. I actually like it. What's not to like? As others have pointed out, it looks like a Les Paul signature would have looked at 100 years old. God Bless the man.

The last thing of concern was the so called wider neck. As you will see from my photos the neck is only about one eighth of an inch or 3mms wider than my Gibson Peter Green Custom shop guitar (or Melvin Franks guitar) at the first fret, and not much more wide at the 5th fifth or seventh fret - no photo btw). That's it folks!

I bought the guitar at an amazingly good price ........ and after four or five days am still loving it. No regrets to date.

Some photos.

upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_13-7-36.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but the photos I posted all came up ....... but not in the order I intended.

Thankfully you folks are smart, and will no doubt figure this out.

Thanks for your patience!

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

There will always be those who denigrate the 2015 Gibsons, and resale values may never reach that of earlier or later years. But I really like my 2015 Junior, and for £375 with case and candy, bought unused in 2016 I'm not complaining. Gibson even sent me a replacement titanium nut despite my not being the original owner. Enjoy your new guitar, it looks great.

tonyj likes this.
  4. cat dude

cat dude TDPRI Member

Very nice!Enjoy.

tonyj likes this.
  5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

After the massive outbreak of hate by almost everyone, most of whom hadn't even seen one in real life let alone played one.

I Agree with your summary 100%. Nut is a fantastic idea, very practical with no ( that I have heard of) practical downsides. Once they figured out the too soft material was the main cause of the tuning problems that is :)

Hologram for auhenticity, who could complain about that? Reality is that the hologram ensures the value of the guitar remains for the owner too.

Signature, what a petty little thing to diss a guitar over.

Im glad people are starting to realise the great guitars these are. Sure the neck is slightly wider and some people take bit of time to get accomodated but I find the finger spacing so much easier now I have adjusted.

I love my 2015 LP Standard and am yet to see a better finished Gibson than it.

3-Chord-Genius and tonyj like this.
  6. Spinaltap1

Spinaltap1 TDPRI Member

It looks like you have the titanium nut on it already.

Enjoy

tonyj likes this.
  7. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Yes it does, and the tuners, are on closer inspection, labeled 'Grover De Luxe' and not 'Kluson'. Either of which is fine by me.

Even more to enjoy!

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice ! The only advantage to changing out that titanium nut at this point would be to spread the string spacing out a little.

I bet it plays fine as-is and I’d leave it. I know my luthier though would have a bone nut on there the next day ! :lol:

“Traditional” versions have rounder/deeper profiles to the neck than LP Std’s right ?

tonyj likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There is nothing at all wrong with those guitars, unless you want there to be.

stratoman1 and tonyj like this.
  10. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I bought a traditional and I can’t tell you about the 2015’s but they are supposed to be made like the 50s Les Paul’s. I doubt it ever had the robot tuners.

tonyj likes this.
  11. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

12. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

That's a Sweet looking guitar !!
    You chose wisely ...........

tonyj likes this.
  13. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Hi Mike.....and and Reece

For now, the titanium nut can stay. There is no reason that I am hearing that would want me to change things at this time.

The neck when compared to other Standards that I own, including Custom Shop jobs, is not quite as 'deep' as they are, by a millimetre or so, at the twelfth fret. The neck on the 2015 is very comfortable and may even be slightly asymmetrical, - a difficult one to eyeball or judge without a profile gauge of some kind.

I do own another Traditional that is more like my Standards. It is a 2009 Gold Top version. A lot of similarities, but a few differences including the tuning machines which actually are very similar at a glance but this time are Kluson De Luxes, and the pickups are definitely a '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus. The neck is slightly narrower, but maybe a tad deeper, although I haven't as yet run a caliper over them to compare; nor have I done a sound check running one against the other. The binding on the neck of the 2009 has the nibs to finish off the frets smoothly. The 2015 traditional doesn't have nibs. The pickups on both do look to be he the same; Chrome, and not the nickel covers on the 2015 that I had expected to see, but only my ears rather than a strip down might give me a clue as to what these '2015'(?) pickups actually are. A more focused comparison of the two may help. I have yet to do that.

All in all I am more than happy with this 2015 Traditional guitar. It is a well made guitar that seems to be without any noticeable or potential flaws. There are the obvious changes that have been made since the guitar left the Gibson factory. All to the good in my opinion. I am wondering too (as Reece suggested) if this guitar slipped out of the Gibson factory without a G-force tuning system, as there are no noticeable clues as to it's former presence, other than perhaps the titanium nut? Could that even be possible?

My fingers are crossed that the guitar will stay just as she is now. Early days I know, or is it? At four years old, she is still looking very much like the sweet lady I think she is. I am therefore not expecting her character to change too much if I treat her with the respect she deserves and I allow her to age with dignity.

This is the 2015 Gibson Traditional that I would have wanted back in 2015 had one been available. Glad I waited.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had guitars with brass and other non-traditional materials for the nut, so I'd give that one a chance, but would probably have a bone one cut. Fossil ivory is a great nut material if you can get a piece of it. I would be totally happy to show up on stage with that guitar. Maybe it's not a 100% perfect copy of a '59, but what is? Play the snot out of that thing!

tonyj likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks great. Congratulations!

tonyj and Mike Eskimo like this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know there are some of us that wouldn’t mind a pic or two of your Peter Green CS LP as well...;)

17. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

The g-force tuners don’t screw into the wood at all. So the after market tuners would be the first screw holes.

Congrats on the guitar. The 2015s are pretty great.

tonyj likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gorgeous!

tonyj likes this.
  19. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

As requested; This is the Peter Green/Gary Moore Collectors Choice series guitar, a replica or VOS model created in 2010, but named the Melvin (or Melvyn depending on the day - by Gibson) Franks model. Mine is the VOS version. Ser.No. CCOIV #**, which I bought new back in 2010.

A well made CS 9lb 0oz guitar, but without the more rare and more expensive relic'd finish. One of 300 made. Has the Burstbucker 3 (neck) and Burstbucker2 (bridge) pickups.

I still like my Larry Corsa 2007 version though.

Photos;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  20. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I've got one just like it, same finish too. One of my favorite guitars :)!!!

I absolutely love the neck; that little bit extra feels perfect to me.

Mine still has the stock pickups and I really don't have any desire to change them; they sound an awful lot like the MHS pickups I have in another Gibson - real nice
    PAF tone to them.

I never did understand all the bad press and hate that year's Gibsons got, but it did result in some really great prices on some great guitars.

A few more years down the road and I think folks will mostly forget why they hated the 2015's so bad, and they'll be recognized for what they are - fine guitars :).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Mad Kiwi and tonyj like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.