%&$#!!!- Just broke another D string!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tarnisher, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

I never ever used to break strings on my Tele, but last week during band practice, the winding on my D string broke at the bridge. I was just strumming, not even especially energetically.

I chalked it up to going way to long without changing strings- I'd been playing acoustic all summer. But while practicing just now, the same thing happened (on the same song, even). Again, I was not playing that aggressively- it's a midtempo song and I play a simple rhythm part. This time the string had no more than 4 hours of action.

I have a gig Friday, and was really planning on playing my Tele, but I don't want to risk a string break in the middle of the set.

Anybody have any advice?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. Tarnisher

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1412216375.580436.jpg

3. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

Check for a burr on the saddle.

4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

It kind of looks as though it broke where the string emerges from the bridge plate, as opposed to on the saddle itself. I'd look for a rough spot there.

5. KMBkelly

KMBkelly TDPRI Member

Yup, just a burr. Not a big deal. I agree it's probably your bridge plate but you oughta check the saddles too... if you have a vintage bridge, you could have a string rubbing on a saddle adjuster screw (been there). As for Friday, if you don't figure it out, just bring a backup guitar.

6. rasm0225

rasm0225 TDPRI Member

Wow, you play with a wound G? I haven't run into that before, but maybe I live a sheltered life.

Is this common for tele players on the forum?

7. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

No, a wound G is not common. I was gonna suggest a lighter pick, but then I realized it said G, saw it was wound, and I went WTF!
    What's up with that Tarnisher?

8. KMBkelly

KMBkelly TDPRI Member

I used to use wound G's on all of my electrics. They sound waaaay different to me than a standard (not wound) string. I couldn't find them anymore so I switched to regular old strings.

9. trashedlostfdu

trashedlostfdu Tele-Meister

i agree with every word. especially look to see if it is riding the saddle adjustment screw. i had a tele that did that really bad.

10. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I use GHS Nickel Rollerwound 11-50, they have an
    .018 wound G. Never had one unwind like the op.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Some of us old guys can remember back to the 60's where a) lucky to get strings and b) the G was always a wound string. I never could get used to a set like 9-42s. JMHO

12. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yea, yea!!! And we had to walk to the music store up hill both ways!:lol: You're right, mostly Black Diamond and Mapes and Fender? I don't remember having a choice of gauge or even buying complete sets. I used to change 'em as they broke; didn't know better!

13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The wound G is a great trick to tame the harsh, buzzy, breakup sound the G makes - especially on a Strat. When I was running 11's on my Strat, I preferred a wound G. When I switched to 10's, I still get a bit of that buzzy breakup sound from the G string.

14. Tarnisher

What's up? I was tired and peeved, and somehow got it into my head that it was a G string. It's actually a D. I think it's because I've been playing acoustic so much that my brain just made the leap that the last wound string = G.

15. Tarnisher

Anyway, back to the breakage. As you can see in the pic, the break seems to be right over the saddle, so I don't think the bridge plate is involved. I don't see a burr, but I didn't use a magnifying glass. If it is a burr, how do I fix it? I tried pulling the string back and forth over it- would that do the trick?

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1412263345.334237.jpg

16. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

I wouldn't have thought a burr would snap the core of a wound string. It would have to grind through the winding first, that would be some burr.
    Might be a bad batch of strings?

17. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I love what a wound G did for my Tele with the 3-saddle bridge. Improved the intonation, and balanced the sound of the strings. What I don't like is not being able to bend that G very easily.

18. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

Alrighty then, now that we know there are plenty of wound G users out there, I would still suggest a slightly lighter pick and/or slightly heavier string(s). I had the same problem long ago. I had no burrs. I switched to 9-46s and a .60 pick and the breakage stopped. It took me a while to realize that I play kinda hard.
    Simple metal fatigue.

19. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Get some fine grit sandpaper and give it a couple passes on the inside of the saddle, where the string rides. Use something small enough to fit inside the saddle to put pressure on the sandpaper- a small metal rod or something like that. It doesn't take much.

And, FWIW, just because you can't see the burr doesn't mean it's not there.

Hope this helps.

20. Tarnisher

Well, I made it though the gig with no breaks.

I'll try some sandpaper just in case, but I'm reluctant to change string or pick gauge, especially because this was never a problem before.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.