Just bought the Joyo 5F1 amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Charlodius, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

7BB65F08-E1A1-4DC6-9A55-01A13325F4D6.png 20F49083-BEB6-4D6D-905A-6AA0B8A9046E.png I just pulled the trigger on a Joyo Sweet Baby JTA-5 amp. From what I’ve read, the circuit is an exact copy of the tweed champ circuit, with the exception of one resister that was not added to the board (but there is a spot for it, apparently).
    Can anyone school me on this, or does anyone have experience with this amp? The one I bought already has a Weber alnico in it and Tung Sol tubes. Been jonesing for a 5F1 for ages and this seemed like the easiest way to get there.

Apparently, this was also sold as the Chickenhead Little Juke.

Should ship to me tomorrow. Pics from reverb. Someone put a fender badge on it, which was crossed out in the listing.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  2. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

typically the "missing component" is the bypass cap at v1a cathode; pin 3 to ground, in parallel with the 1.5k bias resistor.
    It is not shown on the Fender layout, but some say most were actually built with the capacitor.

it is a 25µf 25v electrolytic cap, some recommend 50v if adding or replacing.
    Just guessing, but that is the common item discussed.
    Good luck with your new amp!!

I dont have that amp but a home brew 5f1/f2a (tone control mainly) with a Weber sig8 ceramic popular with some on this forum, with some mods including switch options with that cap.

Chipss36 and Charlodius like this.
  3. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Been wanting to get one for awhile but had a bad experience with a Monoprice amp and worried I would have issues with these. Anyone know about reliability?

4. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Exactly this :) The cathode bypass cap for V1a was left out, but it's marked on the PCB and the solder pads are there. Don't have one, but I've seen the gut shots. I think it was on the 5e1 schematic, but not 5f1, and as mentioned most seemed to get built with the cap.

Charlodius likes this.
  5. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

You'll enjoy it!!! Great amp! Weber speaker and Tungsol tubes just bring it to the next level. I added the "missing capacitor": tried 25uf first, but I got optimum performance with 1.4uf. (25uf made it too bassy and the beautiful mid-range stepped way too back).
    Then I went further and I built a new larger cabinet (Princeton wide panel style) and a Jensen Alnico 10".
    I use it with a '50 CV tele + a little reverb (Accutronics module) and an optical tremolo and I have to say that it started a new addiction to play and play and play...
    Search the forum for Joyo or Fame JTA 05 and you'll find lots of pics and info.
    One recommendation: play a lot with volume and tone of your guitar and you'll discover a very wide variety of tones.

Charlodius and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

QC on many of these budget import items may be hit or miss; you pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

stepvan likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

No US distributors (or not in stock), and I don't think Joyo will sell these directly to US customers. Seems weird for such a popular amp. Very difficult to find used stateside, as a result.

Hard to say about QC. But probably not different in build from Monoprice, minus the rectifier. Probably a lot more difficult in US to get repairs/replacements(?).

stepvan and The Angle like this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

How bout a gut shot when you get some time? I'm interested to know what goes on inside. The 5F1 is a great amp, and a very very simple design.

9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Speaking of Monoprice apparently they offer a 30W tube stack now for $599 anyway back to the Joyo

11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I really had a yen for one of these. The reviews are almost universally positive, it looks sharp, and I wanted a small amp with a 6V6 instead of yet another EL84. Sadly, as Whatizitman stated, they're oddly hard to find in the US. In the end, I got a VHT Special 6 instead and it's turning out to be an excellent little amp, too.

emisilly, old soul and Charlodius like this.
  12. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

I just see today that Musicstore.com, that sold the Joyo here in Europe under the Fame brand, reports the article as "no longer available". Very sad... it was sold at 176.00€ until few months ago.
    I bought mine at 90€ (with no mods at all and original Ruby tubes).
    Musicstore sold lots of it in the last 2-3 years and the fact that they are very rare on the used market means just "happy customers".
    I have seen some Canadian online shop that sells these amps (Joyo branded) around 300 Canadian dollars, but I don't remember the website...
    I attach a pic of the inside: just some light improvement for caps and resistors. The cathode follower cap was not yet installed at the time.

2019-04-02 10.17.49.jpg

Charlodius and Chunkocaster like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, you should be very happy with it. I bought one new about a month ago and have been playing the hell out of it. Its a great sounding amp. I'm nearly done building a tweed deluxe cab to house it in. I installed that cap and it boosts volume quite a bit. I'm making two baffles for the new cab, one with two 8" speakers and one with a 12". Possibly a Red Fang to get me some more volume for open mic's etc. They are great value, I paid $206 AU bucks for mine on sale delivered.

I bought a turret board for $25 bucks and will consider swapping it out with the circuit board or just populating it and storing it for backup. If you get these for a decent price you really cant go wrong. They sound good out of the box, that cap takes the blanket off it and only costs pennies.

They are fun to mod and even if you ended up replacing everything with high end parts you end up with two great sounding champs and a lot of knowledge gained from the experience and you would still have change leftover from the price of buying the 57 reissue champ if you are in Europe or AU.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    capnhiho and bftfender like this.
  14. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Where would the negative feedback be on this board?

did you find it made any difference changing out the other caps ?

Someone mention trying different value caps , smaller I think, to decrease the bass and increase the mid range growl. I thought it was in this thread, but it might have been in chunkocasters recent one. I know I saw it in the last couple of days.

15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Has anyone tried to put the cap on a switch?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Why is there a Fender log on a joyo amp?
    Enquiring minds want to know

17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Enquiring minds should read the first post!.
    Al

skitched and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  18. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Mine...
    IMG_20190927_131041.jpg
    IMG_20190925_175453.jpg
    IMG_20190924_104707.jpg

Made a new cab :)

I found with an 8" speaker it was better without the cap - more headroom. With a 10" it seemed better with the cap.

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I left the legs long on my cap and plan to wire it to a mini toggle switch when I get the time and work out how the 6 terminal switch I have needs to be wired. I plan on installing it in the current led light hole on the panel. Pulling the fuse inside the cab and replacing with the on off switch and installing a jewel light in the on off hole.

20. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

Curious that you describe it as takes the blanket off .. my experience is that the cap boosts the gain but mainly in the bass which muddies up the sound rather than taking off a blanket. It has more "gain" so it breaks up earlier but not more "volume". It's a matter of taste -- I prefer no cap or a small value cap on those low wattage amps.

Ess Eff, Charlodius and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.