Just Bought My First Harley-Davidson.....................

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JeffBlue, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats...and be as safe as you can be. Mine is a 1998 Heritage Softtail Classic......not quite stock.

Greggorios and JeffBlue like this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Love it just like it sits. Happy for anyone who gets just what they want. Ride safe and smile!

JeffBlue likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Always good to get the right bike for the application. I actually went in the reverse direction-- from big touring bike to 900 cc sport/touring to 400cc dual-sport.
    The dual sport (Suzuki DRZ400, all tricked out) was so much FUN-- super light, you can pop over curbs and huge bumps without worrying, you can even
    drop it without worrying. Easy to pick up, move around, even push up hill if you have to. Wouldn't be good for a 500 mile road trip, but great for
    being a hooligan around town. It would go 80mph but was fatiguing after about a half hour on the freeway. If I were to buy a bike I'd probably look
    for a dual sport-ish bike, leaning more towards road, in the 650 to 750 cc range.

lastRebel, DHart and JeffBlue like this.
  4. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

UPDATE! Glendale Harley-Davidson called me today and moved my Rider's Academy appointment to this Saturday. Good times ahead!

Dennyf, Nubs, william tele and 5 others like this.
  5. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

My buddy just sold his Softail that he bought new.

It had 109,000 miles on it and never had a wrench on it that wasn't changing out a consumable part.

Hope yours does as well.

JeffBlue and lastRebel like this.
  6. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was so inspired that I bought a beat up 1982 GPz750 rat bike! ;) 0327192126b.jpg

ozcal, DaveTone, awasson and 3 others like this.
  7. lastRebel

lastRebel Tele-Meister

Dammit man, I'm jealous as all get out. I've been trying for years. I was on nothing but 2 wheels for a few years; the thing that changed was having kids. I couldn't in good heart cart my girl to elementary school in February (Lord knows she was willing, despite it being in the 20s). I traded mine for a 68 Chevy truck that had heat and windows. Dang good looking bike sir. Ride hard or go home!

JeffBlue likes this.
  8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I've always been happy for anyone who gets the chance to get in the wind; doesn't really matter what kind of bike your riding.

I've owned and rode bikes for over 50 years, all of them either Triumphs or Harleys with the exception of one BSA. I also raced for many years; don't do too much of that anymore, other than an occasional trip down the local drag strip ;).

Currently in the stable is my old '54 Pan, '71 Triumph, '75 Shovel, and '03 Road Glide. I do all my own work on them, same as I do on my guitars :).

Stage One kit sounds like a better breathing intake and exhaust and a remap of the fuel injection program. It makes them sound a little healthier and run a little quicker :).

Have fun, and ride safe.

On the Road, defensive riding has to a priority, and become second nature ;).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

9. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Absolutely. Stylin'!

JeffBlue likes this.
  10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had a gpz550 once: awesome bike.

rz350 and JeffBlue like this.
  11. lastRebel

lastRebel Tele-Meister

I second the defensive riding post. I hope you have many miles under the wheels man!

Straydogger, JeffBlue and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! That’s a sweet ride...

My dad rode (mostly Harleys, and a Triumph or two) from his teens (50’s) until the mid-70’s. He chopped a couple of cop bikes, and had a few vintage things that would be worth a fortune today.
    He needed a lifestyle change to save his marriage (he was never home, and mom said, “You got your bike and your friends, or you got your wife and your boys. Pick one.”) He had also watched two friends get killed by people not paying attention, as well as another friend get involved with the Banditos :eek:), so he quit and never went back to it...he started messing with hot rods and shooting guns instead.

My brother still rides, and horse-trades his Harleys and the occasional Triumph so much that I’m not sure what he’s riding now. His oldest son had a couple of different Triumphs, too.

I was well on my way to becoming a biker when I had a spectacular wreck the spring I turned 19...I already picked out the Sportster I wanted and was planning on getting it at the end of the summer.

I was riding my %#*^! cousin’s %#*^! Kawasaki with a sticky %#*^! thumb feed throttle. We’d been blessed by a light misty sprinkle of rain after we headed out; the throttle got stuck, the road turned and I couldn’t. If I’d had on some armor (a heavy leather jacket), I’d have laid it down, but I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, so I jumped the bar ditch, and fortunately had the presence of mind to pull the front end of the bike up, to absorb the impact of the BARBED WIRE FENCE (!!) on the other side of the ditch. I’d heard stories of people being sliced like cheese, so I did was I could to minimize that.

The top strand of the barbed wire broke and slashed up my fingers and arm...the impact of landing threw me over the handlebars and I hit my head on a rock.

Fortunately, I was wearing a helmet, otherwise I’d be dead—or at least acting like my brother-in-law.

I was irritated that the bike didn’t die—it just kept revving up, laying on its side.

I was angry I tore my favorite shirt and got blood on it. :mad:

My aunt used some old home remedy to fix my slashed arm (washed the wound out and put cayenne pepper in it—sealed it right up, and burned like OWWW!). I walked around with a jammed neck and a concussion for several days, but didn’t know it because my folks didn’t believe in doctors very much...and since I was 19, I acted like I had a concussion all the time anyway. I felt better after a couple of weeks.

(17 years later, two discs in my neck ruptured; the doctor asked if I’d ever been in a serious wreck, and this was the only thing I could think of—and it was my wife that remembered, even though we weren’t dating at the time of the wreck...)

I tried to ride a couple of weeks later and was just white-knuckling it all the way. I knew it was stupid to “ride scared,” so I gave it up and started playing guitar instead...I mean, I had the cool leather jacket and needed to do SOMETHING rebellious! :cool:

Instead of killing myself, I just damaged my hearing (and my liver, for a little while :confused:).

I tried to ride again a couple years ago, but was still too shaken, so no more motorcycles for me...but I am tempted to get a trike! :D

Nightclub Dwight and JeffBlue like this.
  13. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

A V-twin is an engine design with two cylinders in a V configuration that's usually, but not always, found on cruisers.

A V-Max is a Yamaha model with a V-twin (EDIT: V4. My mistake.) engine that will smoke anything you can ride off the floor of a Harley dealer. If you thought the old ones were fast, the current model gets to 60 in about 2.5 seconds and does the quarter mile in a bit over 10.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  14. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

V-Max is a V-4 motor. 4 cylinder vs. 2 cylinder on a V-Twin

15. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

Congrats! Nice looking old school ride:) My first bike was a new Heritage Softail Classic in 1996. 7 Harley’s later, still love riding. Glad to see you’re taking a rider’s course. You are just in time for the Laughlin River Run. Enjoy that beautiful bike.

JeffBlue likes this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's a beauty! Congratulations.

I haven't been on a motorcycle since about 1974, and I don't think I could mount one now without hip surgery, but I definitely appreciate the idea! I'm a rider in my mind.

JeffBlue likes this.
  17. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Congratulations, that's one beautiful bike.
    I've done about 5000 miles on rented M8 engined bikes while on holiday in the USA and I've got to say that it's a superb engine. There's so much torque, you can bang it open in any gear and it really flies.
    Here's my 2 babies.

DSC_0083A.JPG DSC_0355.JPG

Straydogger and JeffBlue like this.
  18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys. I see some beautiful bikes on here. I wish everyone could ride to clear their mind and feel the joy.

Straydogger and awasson like this.
  19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Jeff, I saw a fellow cruise by on a crotch rocket two days ago who had a ‘clear mind’. This street is a main business street with over 30,000 vehicles passing by everyday. It was a 91 degree afternoon. He was dressed in athletic shorts, a tank top, some flip flops, and sunglasses. He had his right hand on the throttle while he was TEXTING with his left....not talking, which would still be insane...but texting!!
    I guarantee that that young man’s mind was clear of all rational thought.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Straydogger and JeffBlue like this.
  20. richbike

richbike TDPRI Member

One day all that will remain is radiation, cockroaches and the vfr750. And it will ALWAYS start

awasson and JeffBlue like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.