1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just bought an $17.99 Guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by PingGuo, Feb 28, 2020.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

My dad bought my first no name acoustic 6 string in 1961. It cost $17.99. I'd have thought the price would have gone up by now. :rolleyes:

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

$155 in today's dollars, just about the same as a Recording King "Dirty Thirties" acoustic or a Squier Bullet Tele.

For those interested, there's some discussion about this over at TalkBass forum. Some people say that they actually did get an actual instrument from the seller in question.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/lowest-priced-new-basses-ever.1450190/page-26
    https://www.talkbass.com/threads/official-exquisite-glarry-burning-fire-bass-club.1433929/page-105

This has to be one of the strangest situations I've seen in a long time on EBay.

3. notme

notme Tele-Meister

Listings now removed

4. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Not the same situation but...
    Trogly sez, "Sometimes on eBay you can get away with this scam as long as there was a package delivered."

Fendereedo and Wound_Up like this.
  5. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

I bought the $18 Strat knock off from robhe8875 on Ebay. I also ordered a $35 bass from that seller last month. The bass arrived in timely fashion, ready to play. I have no reason to expect less from the guitar. Why is everyone so worried??

Lake Placid Blue, Alamo and notme like this.
  6. notme

notme Tele-Meister

Because its insanely cheap with free shipping and suspicious feedback.

Wound_Up likes this.
  7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Why would you copy and paste this word for word on 2 separate forums?

If the fake feedback and 'too good to be true' price don't scream "SCAM!", you're not thinking logically.

8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

It's $20, not the end of the guitar world. Maybe the small print says every 10th order gets fulfilled?

9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Mine is still showing some movement, but as someone mentioned before, the tracking is for small packets, which I don't think applies. Unfortunately it doesn't show the weight. At least from the USA, if it is over a certain weight, you're not allowed to use First Class Mail.

A guitar update.jpg

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  10. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Based on the experience I've had ordering crap from China, that looks like a normal China Post routing report. It looks like they have prepared it for shipping and are now waiting for it to be picked up, probably on a pallet with a bunch of other stuff to be shipped to the states, so it may be leaving tomorrow, or waiting for the pallet to fill up sometime over the next week.
    By the way, this is called "LCL" shipping (Less than Container Load), where a bunch of stuff too small to fill a container or pallet gets put on the stack until there is enough to make the shipping economical, then it gets put in a truck and taken to the dock.
    At some point after it's put on the truck, your shipment will "fall off the map"; you won't receive any notifications from the time the boat leaves China (and maybe not even that) until it's in the hands of FedEx or UPS or USPS here in the homeland. In between, it's sailing across 10,000 miles of Pacific Ocean (2 weeks minimum), then when it arrives, it has to go through customs, probable fumigation/decontamination(because coronavirus, spiders, etc.), and breaking down the pallet/container contents for distribution to the chosen domestic delivery service. At some point, you'll get a notification that your item is on its way to you, possibly that day or soon after. That gap in the middle of the process is the most nail-biting. I've had stuff slow-trucking to the dock the same day I ordered, but not hear anything for a month and all of a sudden it's on that day's UPS delivery. o_O

11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Why isn't there a song called "slow boat from china" when you need it? :confused:

there are gazillion versions of "slow boat to china"
    but that's the wrong direction, man. :lol:

Fendereedo and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  12. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

the only thing i got was a mail that the guitar is being shipped, but to me that is not the same as: IS shipped.
    have no trackingnumber

13. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

Mines in transit. Tracking number checks out. Estimated on the 7th of April for delivery. Can't wait to see the magnificence it holds.

preactor and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  14. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Just checked my tracking, and says it's been processed in LOS ANGELES.

That's very fast, and I guess I'll find out what I'm getting in this week????

15. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

WOW!

I buy a lot of cheap stuff from Chinese eBayers, and I am often shocked that they can sell stuff - and include the shipping - for much less than I could mail it to anywhere from here.

Hope springs eternal...

preactor likes this.
  16. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Curious to see how this turns out. Maybe it’ll be one of those tiny little guitar decorations.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It would be "not as described" in that case.

18guitarspecs.png

18. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, mine would come with a teeny tiny amp, too!

19. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

20. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

If I'm the first to review, you should be REALLY disappointed because several people ordered before me. And that means they should have received it already.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.