1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just bought an $17.99 Guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by PingGuo, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I'm not worried, but this is tense popcorn eating time.

*You guys can still get in on this deal. It's quite an adventure for $17.99 :D

tenor.gif

Here's a snippet I found on Squier Talk. Sounds about right because it's easy to run a scam on Ebay.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Fretting out likes this.
  3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking TDPRI Member

First, I did not purchase one of these but was tempted. Second, if I did and it was a scam, I would not give my $20 a second thought. I might contact PayPal or eBay for a refund but certainly not spend a lo too time on it. Life moves on and the seller made his $ off me. I do realize that others will go after their $20 with much more vim and vigor and that is fine with me. I'm following this and the group on SquierTalk with interest to see how this turns out.

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes, you just have to roll the dice ...

5. TimTheViking

TimTheViking TDPRI Member

The shaker was rattling but they never came out. (maybe because they were all gone?) :rolleyes:

rangercaster likes this.
  6. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wouldn't it be outrageous if the OP was actually the vendor?!? :lol:

Gaz_, tubegeek, Deeve and 3 others like this.
  7. doblander

doblander TDPRI Member

I agree that Squier builds fine guitars!! Im a Squier fan with 2 SE's, 1 affinity strat and a beautiful John 5 signature telecaster in Gold. After trying truss rod and saddle screw adjustments on the 2 SE's, I removed and shimmed both their necks to achieve the looooww action I like. The Affinity strat and the John 5 needed none of that because they're perfect. These Squires are just 4 of the 30 guitars I have bought over the last few years from local used instrument sites online. With the exception of the John 5, the most expensive of my hoard was $175. All others were dented, scratched, and most often virtually unplayable due to set up, an array of the most maligned guitar brands on the internet. I love every one of them because I don't hesitate to break them down, shim, file replace parts, and refinish them. They wind up looking new and just as comfortably playable as high end stuff. They're still cheap guitars worth not much I know but I could not care less! I learned a lot and they look fantastic. CHEAP GUITARS RULE and there are no krappy guitars made in China. All that dissing is where the krap is.

8. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I bet you was one them bought stock in sea monkeys too aiyeeee :)

9. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

So when is the big day of arrival?

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Sometime in early April at the latest.

The supposed US based purchases don't have any shipping info yet. EBay says by the 14th but...

I have doubts about the seller, who wouldn't, but I'm reasonably confident that if it's a scam EBay/PayPal will get my $36 refunded to me.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

You very rarely have to do anything.

If it's not a scam, and everyone gets their $18 guitar, you could make the argument that the rest of us missed out on a great deal. I would counter that, no, I didn't miss out on something I didn't want to begin with. On the contrary. I awarded myself $18. :D

12. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

The way I look at it is - if it's a scam, I'll get my money back. If it's not, I'll sell it and make a little. Can't really go wrong. Either I'll still have the $20, or I'll have $40.

bgmacaw likes this.
  13. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

So... who also ordered a cello?

Deeve, 61fury and Whatizitman like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I did! The bridge, tuning pegs, and bow are worth more than the total price!

Said no pro violin or cello luthier, ever.

Deeve, 61fury and Treehouse like this.
  15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Just FYI. TalkBass members (I’m Ronzo on that forum, too) have purchased Glarry/Exquisite basses for over a year now. I have a Glarry P-bass that I modified with a Fender Original P pickup, Bourns pots, Sprague cap, and a cheap Musiclily pickguard. Added cheap ashtray bridge and pickup covers, too.

Original condition, day of arrival:
    A785BCD5-3710-4A95-B0C0-73C15424CD19.jpeg

As modified, with the unmodified Glarry J-bass I ordered after receiving the P model:
    40FB6357-8CF7-46C6-A0BD-556118E7EF52.jpeg

Glarry J model, after re-shimming the neck, reworking the nut, and adding a Musiclily pickguard, cheap pickup and bridge cover. The J pickups and as-provided control panel remained as delivered:
    121FB8D3-2FB5-4579-B6D8-6A16E82DC184.jpeg

Both of these instruments have been gigged. As shown, they are completely giggable instruments. I’m not comfortable with the J’s thick (to me) neck, and I have a few very comfortable basses to play and play out with. But for the $70 - $75 each that I paid, I was very pleasantly surprised. And impressed by the value.

Good luck to all those who purchased.

16. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

tracking.jpg

Seems like SOMETHING is on its way... could be the package of bubble wrap someone else described, might be a vial of norovirus...

17. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I had a dream

last night, that I got my bass and the body was 1'' thick and made out of balsa wood. I was happy that I at least received some..thing.

As I wondered, did I pay 17.99 for the "cord wrench tool"? But the description of contents included a bass.

18. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Seems like a fair price for a Chinese-crafted cord wrench tool

Deeve, Lake Placid Blue and 61fury like this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The tracking on the one I ordered from China says the same as yours. The US one doesn't show shipped yet, making me more and more suspicious of the seller although its still early. Maybe they'll send a "dog ate my homework" message soon if they're scamming.

20. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

I just ordered one. A guitar for $18?? Unreal. I have a Glarry P Bass I actually quite enjoy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.