Just Bought A Vox MV50 Clean Amp.............

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JeffBlue, Oct 26, 2018.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I traded in some equipment that I no longer use so that I had the cash to buy the amp. (I know I didn't get fair market prices in the deal) I am curious about the Nu Tube technology and I hear good things about the MV50.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

And ... did you plug it in yet ?

JeffBlue likes this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cool. Can you vary the amount of midrange by turning both tone controls up or down?

4. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

The adapter is heavier and almost bigger than the amp and isn’t a standard wall wart. The amp needs to be secured to a surface as it’s so light. The box could be larger and incorporate the power supply. They can lose the VU meter. It’s bogus.

JeffBlue likes this.
  5. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Sorry....I actually just ordered it from Guitar Center. I will definitely plug it in and tell you how I feel about the amp when I get it.

I would like to hear what you think about the amp pros and cons. Thanks.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cool! :cool: Congrats. :D I too have been curious about/GASing for the NUtube offerings from Vox. I still don't have one, largely because they're not available locally, so I can't try before I buy.

Before they came out with the Boutique version and then the Mini Superbeetle, I was primarily interested in the AC version. Now that MSB, which according to Corey Witt, Product Marketing Manager for Vox Amplifiers, is "built off of the MV50 platform." So the head of the Mini Superbeetle is essentially an MV50 AC head with an expanded tone stack (Bass & Treble) and reverb and tremolo.

I agree with Guitandanza about the VU meter on the front panel being bogus, totally useless. My ears may not be what they used to be, but I don't listen with my eyes! :twisted: In one of the early videos about the MV50 line, Corey Witt referred to the VU meter, but there wasn’t anything he could really say about it except that it’s “telling you that the input is working.” :lol:

Most comments I've read by folks opting for the Clean version involve using it as a clean platform for pedals. Is that what you have in mind? Personally, I'm not much of a pedal guy, so I wasn't interested in the Clean version; I would want an MV50 to use in its own right, for the tones I could get from just the amp and my guitars.

JeffBlue likes this.
  7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have several guitar rigs, 3 Fenders (2 vintage Silverface) a rack rig, a Trace Elliott Bonneville 4X10 and Stromberg-Carlson vintage pa amp/guitar conversion in a Laney ss cab that I ditched the amp chassis. I do like pedals and I love a Fender blackface clean for the base tone for the pedals. I traded a 1958 Fender Tweed Deluxe straight across for the Trace Elliott amp because the Trace Elliott has an exceptional clean tone. The Tweed Deluxe is a one-trick pony.

I usually use tube based overdrive-distortion and change the tubes to an NOS variant for the desired tone. I have 1 non tube pedal which gives me my tweed tones when I need or I'm jonesin' for tweed tones. I use a Lovepedal Les Lius pedal for the need for tweed.

I also have a Fuchs Plush Cerebrus (switchable Marshall/Dumble/Fender tone) pedal and a TC Electronics MojMojo pedal. The right pedals help you nail down particular tones even when your tube amp gets finicky or inconsistent.

I have 3 Peavey Rockmaster tube preamps, 2 Art SGX-2000 units, and TC Electronics G-System and Nova System for effects on different rigs. Pedals work for me so the MV50 Clean should give near blackface cleans for use with my pedals.

8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I would like to mention that I wouldn't mind owning a Quilter amp but I have a hard time justifying the price when I could buy a great tube amp for the same price. I would love to own a Fender Silverface Vibrolux 2X10 or a Vibroverb 1X15..........I just cannot afford them.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Cool. Sounds like the Clean will be a fun experiment for you. I play clean most of the time myself, but not always 100% pristine clean, and I do occasionally like a bit of grit, just a mild to moderate amount of crunch. So I think the MV50 AC is a better match for me, or the Minis Superbeetle.

I too balk at the price tag of Quilter amps, but not because of comparing them to tube amps. It's because I've never spent more than $400 on any amp. Well, I did spend more than that on the powered mixer for my previous PA system, and that's an amp, in a sense. But you know what I mean. If I were ever to pay Quilter money for a guitar amp, it would be the Roland Blues Cube Artist.

JeffBlue likes this.
  10. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

Congrats. I like it for making a part of an all in one pedalboard at the very least. I hear it sounds wonderful.

JeffBlue likes this.
  11. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I use tube driven pedals and I want to see how well my pedals drive the NuTube into overdrive/distortion. If all of the claims are correct and the NuTube reacts exactly like a vacuum tube, I should be pleased with the tones I'll be getting.

12. radiocaster

Shouldn't be a problem if you use pedals, unless you trip over the cable from the pedals to the amp.

JeffBlue and Asmith like this.
  13. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I'll maneuver carefully around my new guitar rig, LOL.

14. radiocaster

I've definitely knocked my Micro Terror off the speaker before, I don't remember what technique I used.

By the way, I always set my Micro Terror to clean and use pedals. I don't think it sounds like either tube or solid-state, more like something in between. I never liked the built-in distortion.

JeffBlue likes this.
  15. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

That's what I like about pedals. You control the tonal outcome i.e. tweed, plexi, boogie, etc. And when you bypass the pedal your using, the clean tone can be as pristine as your amp will allow.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I just got the MV50 Clean and plugged it in. It is everything that I hoped the tone would be. Still trying to wrap my head around the little amp head and huge clean headroom. When you plug into an overdrive pedal, the amp sounds like you're driving a 12AX7 into distortion. I may have to buy another one for my back room.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You’re thinking about this the wrong way. Justifying expenditures in terms of tube vs. SS is not the way to go. Look instead at the amp you’re getting, not what’s inside it. If it’s well made, has the features you need, does what you need it to, and sounds like you need it to, then it’s worth the money.

I own and gig an SS amp that costs more than some tube amps I’ve owned. I’d rather play it than some tube amps that cost a lot more. I’ll use it until I run into an amp I like better. If that happens to be a tube amp that costs $500, I’ll get it. If that happens to be an SS amp that costs $2,000.00, I’ll get it. There are many more important aspects of an amplifier to consider than whether or not it has glass in it.

MilwMark likes this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Totally agree @Jakedog. I was never fully happy with any amps until I tried a JC40 and a Katana 100 of all things. And my “never totally happy” I mean, “really didn’t like”.

The Roland and Katana taught me I actually could like amps. On a lark I plugged into a version IV Hot Rod Deluxe at a shop. Same clean tone I always loved. But improved by a better speaker. Great drive channel. Very dynamic. 40lbs.

I was instantly smitten. Stupidly I almost passed because it had glass inside. It’s proven to be the perfect amp for me. Sounds great at any gig volume. Plenty of power. 40lbs is lite enough. Great players amp and value.

Almost let the tech inside drive me away from an amp I love.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Jakedog likes this.
  19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I once owned a Roland JC120 and I let it go. I had a Laney SS that I junked the chassis because I need the cab for a Stromburg-Carlson pa-to-guitar amp conversion that I am using now. I have a Fender SCX2 that I like. I have 2 Fender silver face amps that I like, a rack rig and a Trace Elliott Bonneville 4X10.

I have a Peavey KB100 that was given to me that I modified into a 3 way using a crossover network for PA acoustic guitar use. So, I guess I am a tube snob.

The Vox MV50 sounds like a tube amp and reacts like one which is why I like it. Touch sensitive, dynamic and definitely pedal friendly.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have this Digitech RP5 multi effects pedal that I had considered trading or selling off until I plugged it in to the MV50. Beautiful pristine clean tones with this unit and amp. I have set up the onboard overdrive and it sounds okay. I will be using a separate OD pedal for driving the Nu Tube in the MV50. I love this amp. May be my new go to amp. May consider another MV50 Clean for a pedalboard set up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.