Just bought a Twin Reverb...

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
Not the Tone Master. The big, 70 pound, throw your back out version. I got it used for a smoking deal.

Now, I've never gotten along with Fender amps. I've had three that I sold- a Blues Junior, a Hot Rod Deluxe, and the first version of the Mustang 3. Vox seems to give me the sound I hear in my head. I just figured that Fender amps were one of those things that a lot of people like but it just wasn't for me, like black olives.

But this amp... its a monster. I can't crank it past 2 because I have little dogs and I don't want to hurt their little ears. But even at that volume, it fills the room and just kind of... sparkles. My Strat sounds Strattier. My Tele sounds twangier. My Les Paul sounds like the voice of angels coming down from heaven. The on board reverb is just incredible.

I get why so many people are wanting to get rid of them and downsize. Twins are huge, and heavy. You could warm a medium sized room with the heat coming out of the back of this thing when I turned it off. Its way more amp than anyone could possibly need. They're also cool, and fun, and iconic. I wish I had bought one years ago. It's my 85 watt bedroom amp.

I'm not getting rid of my AC15. Its still my favorite amp of all time. But it might get neglected for a while.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have the 85 watt BF twin RI , more power than you can imagine, great cleans , nice amps, put wheels on it LOL

I have seen these that were a sloppy mess of construction , but i inspected mine and its more than OK inside, WHEW!

congrats and enjoy!

colchar

Friend of Leo's
Not the Tone Master. The big, 70 pound, throw your back out version. I got it used for a smoking deal.

Now, I've never gotten along with Fender amps. I've had three that I sold- a Blues Junior, a Hot Rod Deluxe, and the first version of the Mustang 3. Vox seems to give me the sound I hear in my head. I just figured that Fender amps were one of those things that a lot of people like but it just wasn't for me, like black olives.

But this amp... its a monster. I can't crank it past 2 because I have little dogs and I don't want to hurt their little ears. But even at that volume, it fills the room and just kind of... sparkles. My Strat sounds Strattier. My Tele sounds twangier. My Les Paul sounds like the voice of angels coming down from heaven. The on board reverb is just incredible.

I get why so many people are wanting to get rid of them and downsize. Twins are huge, and heavy. You could warm a medium sized room with the heat coming out of the back of this thing when I turned it off. Its way more amp than anyone could possibly need. They're also cool, and fun, and iconic. I wish I had bought one years ago. It's my 85 watt bedroom amp.

I'm not getting rid of my AC15. Its still my favorite amp of all time. But it might get neglected for a while.

Your previous Fenders weren't typical Fender amps so shouldn't be used to judge Fender amps.

Congrats on the Twin.

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Its way more amp than anyone could possibly need. They're also cool, and fun, and iconic.

Yeah baby! A good twin reverb is amazing and classic beyond belief.

Went to Disneyland in 1963-65. Marelee Rush and the Turnabouts were playing outside at night...magical!! I was a long way away, but remember to this day how great that Twin Reverb sounded that night in Disneyland.

A few years later, I find myself in down town Seattle (after a family lunch at Ivars) with my dad (who hated the fact I played guitar!) on first ave at the front of a music store.

The owner of the store ( a big guy smoking a big ol cigar with a rubber tip on it) asks us "What you looking for?' I'm 11 or 12 year old, frightened beyond belief to actually play something in front of somebody.....

My dad makes up some bull ****e about how good I am for my age, yada, yada..now, I'm really freaking out!

The owner grabs a Lyle thin line (335 knock off, but hollow body) off the wall, plugs it into a brand spanking new Twin Reverb and hands the guitar to me.

"Oh crap!!...what do I do now?" think I. I've hardly played in front of anyone....let alone my dad!

Anyway, I strum the few chords I know....the old cigar smoking fart adjust the amp settings and suddenly, I'm playing the Animals version of House Of The Rising Sun! The front door is open, several people start gathering around, (mostly homeless drunks and a half dozen relatives) and suddenly, I'm a young rock star! If only life was that simple!

I'd love to say it resulted in a wonderful life in music, but all it did was show my guitar hating dad that I could actually do something other than watch TV and eat snacks!

After 50 some years, I still think of this moment once in a while. House Of The Rising Sun....who knew??!!

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welcome to dark side.

I started down the guitar trail only about 10 years ago and all the advice I was getting was that Twins were dinosaurs that people should not want. They can't be turned up and so it will sound thin and raspy. I should get a low powered amp.

I ended up with the worst Twin ever according to the internet, a '79 UL Twin Reverb which many said was garbage and that I paid way too much at $700. Well, it has a set of JBL speakers and once my tech installed an adjustable bias pot and partially blackfaced the unit, my reaction was just like yours. It sounded wonderful in ways that my little amps didn't....sparkly, thick, punchy, and the sound just blooms.

It might as well be bolted to the floor though, too heavy to drag up and down my staircase for use outside the home, but it is my favorite amp in the house and I will never get rid of it. Not bad for about the cost of a MIM guitar.

Just goes to show that the internet doesn't always have the correct answers.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Good for you man! I can't do heavy amps anymore. Anything over 50 lbs is just too much for me to deal with these days, and too much amp for me. I recently got a Vox AC15 and that amp is probably my limit, these days. Glad you're enjoying your new purchase though! Kudos!

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
Just going out for a loaf of bread.

1650805032480.png

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
"They" say that my '74 Bandmaster Reverb is a wimpy thing. Feeble transformers, too polite, afraid of cats.

But, through its 2x12 of Eminence 1258's, the air says, when I get its volume above 1, "Now THIS is colors swimming!"

And my house says, when I get its volume above 4, "Keep going! We never liked this particular foundation to begin with."

With a sizable, old-school Fender amp, you get the whole note, the full chord, the real reach of sound, to be sure.

Congrats, stnmtthw, and enjoy!

Last edited:

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Out of the hundreds or possibly thousands of amps that have been produced over the years the original Fender Twin Reverb, accurate reissues and high quality accurate clones remain in my list of Top Ten Amps of all time.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted

Just bought a Twin Reverb...

Why did you do that?
Do you carry your car around instead of driving it as well?

J/K... Congrats, It is obviously a great amp. I have tried a few meself, but I could not get used to the violent volume it demands before sounding good to my ears.