Just Bought A Stew Mac SG Guitar Kit........................

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by JeffBlue, Jul 20, 2019.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I bought this kit because it is on sale and I'm curious if anyone else bought a Stew Mac kit and how they feel about the quality. I have owned Stew Mac Bodies and necks before and thought they were excellent quality. I will be adding different pickups and hardware. Any thoughts?

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

P90 or humbucker?

3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Stew Mac only offers humbucker on this kit.

4. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Id be willing to bet that Stew Mac doesn't manufacture the kit, but rather gets it from someone who does, and sells it under their name. For instance, their necks currently are from Might Mite, and before that, Godin....

I've been working on a kit SG I got from a Canadian company, Solo...it seems to be good quality. Good instructions...the hardest part was gluing the neck.....All pieces fit well....I don't have the electronics wired up yet...but got it together enough to string it up and play it unplugged….it has a nice resonance..... I changed the tuners, and was going to change the ABR bridge and tailpiece but the posts didn't match up...English v metric I think.....My plan is to paint it up all psychedelic (my wife is an artist) ala "The Fool"....and time will tell if its a player or a wall hanger...so far it looks like its a player.....

Stew Mac doesn't sell low quality stuff...most likely you got a winner

JeffBlue likes this.
  5. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Keep me posted on how it turns out... Been looking at that one if the scratch build I'm making for a friend doesn't work out.

JeffBlue likes this.
  6. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys. I own a Precision Guitar Kits custom 54 Les Paul that I had purchased/bought a while back. Awesome company and guitar. I couldn't afford to go that route since I just bought a new Harley Davidson last April........the wife wouldn't agree with the higher price route. Mr. Don Miller, your project sounds like a good plan, who doesn't love "The Fool."

rogb likes this.
  7. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Me too, a custom spec 59 LP. Despite some hiccups with PGK, and the costs/taxes getting it to the UK, the quality and the woods used are the best, comparable to the best Gibsons I have tried.
    Incredibly resonant unplugged, and through a good tube amp, wow! It doesn't like going through the PA much, but that is down to the pretty accurate unpotted PAFs and 50s wiring I suspect.

JeffBlue likes this.
  8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I had my PGK built with Black Korina and chambered, Seymour Duncan 59/JB, GFS SLICK brass bridge, Electrosocket, Schaller strap locks and vintage style open tuners. Excellent guitar and sounds fantastic.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks all so far. I have guy who ants me to build him a guitar but he hasn't played in 40 years or so. So I thought i'd start with a stewmac kit ( also I lost a lot of tools in divorce ) and I'm on the lazy side ATM.

JeffBlue likes this.
  10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

The price of this kit is very good.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Believe it or not, I have a wood dye that comes up perfect for a maroon/ wine SG.
    Already built one for a customer. It's a wood stain called Blueberry.

JeffBlue likes this.
  12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I will attempt a cherry red lacquer with a few coats of a satin clear on mine.

Tonetele likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Archtop Bill, Fendereedo and JeffBlue like this.
  14. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

This is my last guitar kit, Precision Guitar Kits custom 54 Les Paul, Seymour Duncan 59/JB, GFS SLICK brass bridge made from Black Limba (Korina)
    IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0035.JPG

15. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This is a serious question. Is the hardware that comes with these kits workable or is it iffy?

16. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

The hardware is probably better than the really low budget kits. Stew Mac is known for selling good hardware and the pickups should be okay. I am, however, going to add my own hardware and pickups to push this build to a higher level.

LeicaBoss likes this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

cool! makes me want one!

JeffBlue likes this.
  18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Disclaimer: Precision Guitar Kits is NOT affiliated with Stew Mac.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

precision is language precise.

20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Lol. As a Canadian (English speaking), I struggle to understand why Imperial is still a thing.

I've been in the automotive industry for over 20 years. All of our customers require us to work in metric, though I grew up working in imperial (stuff around the house).

Now I find if I'm building a desk or something big or whatever, I'll use imperial, but if I care about precision I'll work in metric. I currently run a CNC programming to 0.001 mm accuracy. An older guy in the shop will say something like "Oh, that's 40 thousands of an inch" which equals approximately 1 mm. It's easier think it, write it and say it in metric.

JeffBlue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.