Just bought a Dieselgate VW

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PingGuo, Jan 18, 2019.

1. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My 1999 subaru legacy outback finally died.

It overheated (I didn't notice) and got hot enough to blow the radiator, blow the gaskets, and most likely warp the heads.

On top of that, it had electrical problems... dash and radio lights would turn on and off as I drove around. And air vents needed a new actuator.

also, the darn cupholder was broken! (anybody that has been in one of these know the cupholders all broke years ago)

So...

I just bought a 2013 Dieselgate Jetta Sportwagen tdi 2.0l with 52k miles on it. Out the door cost was about $12.3k.

Color is the chocolate brown with the tan interior. I'm stoked!

This'll be my first diesel. I drive about 65 miles round trip each day.

I bought it from carvana. Get to pick it up in a week. After that I get a 7 day money back test drive.

The car had one owner, was sold back to VW, then repaired. And now, it's back on the market. I'll be the 2nd consumer owner.

What do ya'll think? Would you buy a dieselgate VW? Are you one of the people that sold your dieselgate VW back to VW in disgust?

inside 2.JPG inside 1.JPG car butt.JPG car open doors.JPG

stevemc, richiek65, bsman and 3 others like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My lysdexia :twisted: is kicking in pretty bad this morning. My first read of your thread title made me think that you had purchased a delegate from West Virginia. :oops:

drf64, djh22, Blrfl and 5 others like this.
  3. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

I used to own a 2003 Golf TDI. It got 55 mpg and ran like a rocket. Great cars! These things can be tuned to run like a GTI. I bought mine used with 40K miles on it and sold it with 174K miles. Never had any problems with it. I see you don't have any mountains where you live, but here in Colorado, when I would travel through the mountains, I could put it on cruise control and the tach would never move when climbing a steep grade. These cars have tons of torque to pull them up the hills. You did good!! By the way, I now own a 2017 Golf R. A 300hp AWD GTI basically.

4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Are you in a county in which emissions testing is required? If so, are going to take it somewhere for an emissions test to ensure it will pass before you seal the deal?

A large number of those VW diesels is going into the rental fleet of a small number of rental companies. I am glad they figured out a way to avoid the waste of just crushing them all.

VW has a relatively new plant in Chattanooga, TN. I was driving in N.W. Ga. last summer on a little outing that included a visit to the Chickamauga battlefield, and I came across and old carpet mill with a fence around it. The property was slammed full of VW autos that looked pretty new. I surmised that they were stacking them there to crush or to send into the Chattanooga facility for re-work. I drove by there in the fall and all the cars were gone, so VW made its move on them.

PingGuo likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Reportedly great cars from all I have heard. Cheating on eco tests was a blunder though for sure! I would have thought they would be a better bargain than that though...?
    One wonders what was repaired?

PingGuo likes this.
  6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

BTW, is that an AWD of 4WD?

PingGuo likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like that paint color along with the interior. The service price of running diesels can quite high. Something to keep in mind.

PingGuo likes this.
  8. PingGuo

No emissions testing in FL.

I think these cars are just now making it back onto the market in big numbers. Carvana had a bunch of them and it seemed like every local dealer had a few.

Hard to know what they really changed. Performance and emissions were very similar after the fixes according to Car and Driver and Consumer Reports.

FWD

9. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

IF I read it correctly it was a matter of programing the ECU. To perform they had it set to perform. When plugged in to check fault codes it went into emotions testing mode and cleaned up its act. My son worked for an Audii stealership at the time. He did warranty claimes paperwork as part of his duties as a parts manager. He’s since left the company.

PingGuo likes this.
  10. PingGuo

The carfax describes it as an ECU update only. But I must admit I don't entirely know what the "fix" was.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seems like a lot of money for a car that is so old with so many miles and so much baggage.

I haven't seen documentation/press coverage of what the negatives of the "fix" are.

I'd expect if it was just ECU reprogramming one or more of the following could be a risk factors:
    - No longer gets the great mileage the owners reported before dieselgate (which was always overblown anyway since diesel just has more energy/gallon)
    - Performance no longer is what it was before the ECU reprogramming
    - Possible long term issues reliability because the car is no longer operating the way it was designed to/tested?

Good cars though, I'm just unsure of how you judge the value of these.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My sister had one of those diesel Sportwagons and it was nothing but issues. Her first really bad VW after a long line of good ones (and a late 90s Subaru 6 that blew up).

Anyway, she got annihilated trying to get rid of it, but she couldn't wait VW out because it wouldn't run consistently and pulled myriad codes. I don't think we can say fairly that buying a rehabbed VW helps the original set of buyers who got little service and got screwed unloading them.

Agree that $ 12,300 is hideous overpayment. Just for comparison, we picked up a used 5 year old Saab 9-5 with just 4,000 miles on it, $ 44,xxx MSRP, for $ 15,300 and it was never wrecked or harmed in any way, new battery and ready to go. Just sat in a Palm Beach playboy's driveway before that. 200,000 miles later it needs new paint, but is otherwise one of our favorites.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    PingGuo likes this.
  13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm going to have to add these to my list of possible replacements for my 01 BMW 525i wagon. Love that car but the road salt is eating it up pretty bad now. Plus they stopped making the E39 platform in 02 and 5 series wagons after that till they stopped importing them in 2010 have rather questionable reliability.
    I have zero interest in a sedan, ever try to stuff a curb side Hammond organ in the trunk of a sedan? :)

PingGuo likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Have you had a look around in Southern California? Because I have consistently seen large, large numbers of Mercedes, Audi and especially BMW wagons down that way, and almost all are seriously rust free. There's IMO way more of them than there are people who want to drive them once they've aged some - cars seem to time out down there and in a number of cases they are crushing vehicles with straight, rust free bodies that would be very desirable and valuable in the Rust Belt. Some cars simply don't get along with the Smog Test technology that CA uses - they should be sold into Nevada hands but often people are myopic and frankly many in CA simply hate vehicles altogether and older ones especially. They think they are "saving the world" by crushing a 20 year old higher end German car, and they think anything that fails a smog test there one time should never be parted out but must always be smashed.

Also, space is quite hard to come by in the neighborhoods where these cars are parked. My brother suggested to me (he's in the hills of west Pasadena) that there's 20 sound vehicles like this he could have just for the asking (knows the owner thru church, etc.) around him. But he's maxed out now. I wish you could see him reparking 911s and Macans in that incredibly steep driveway. Yikes and I mean 12 months of the year yikes. No wonder vehicles with clutches are not well received out there.

Anyway, there's an extraordinary shift in the mix, favoring wagons to sedans in that area. Whereas around Washington DC only one in 30 would be a wagon.

PingGuo likes this.
  15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have run diesels for seventeen years now, but the Ford Focus Estate I have will be the last. I usually buy a 4 or 5 year old model with between 35 and 70k miles on the clock and run them until they become uneconomic to repair, usually sometime after 200k miles. Until a couple of years ago I was looking after my Dad 200 miles away, but since his passing we don't do too many long journeys. I will keep the Focus for any remaining long journeys, but intend to buy a four or five year old Nissan Leaf for the day to day stuff. My wife has a forty mile round trip to work, which is well within it's capabilities. Diesels engines are now very much out of favour in the UK and will only become moreso.

Your VW looks good. My Focus let me down for the first ever time in 110k miles, whilst on holiday in Germany this summer. The insurance company provided me with a VW Passat estate. I drove it over 2500 miles through Austria, Italy and Switzerland in 21 days. It was a very comfortable car, lots of power available and very economical, returning over 70 mpg. I just hated driving a LHD car, with auto handbrake, lights and wipers, an engine that turned off everytime I came to a halt etc. At least it was not an automatic gearbox! If there is a long term future for diesel in your neck of the woods go for it.

Edit - UK 70 mpg = US 58 mpg

PingGuo likes this.
  16. User Name:

User Name: TDPRI Member

TDIs are great cars. Carvana is a bit expensive but a car with one owner and low miles is always nice. I work at a VW dealership and whenever we get one of the diesels in they never stay on the lot long. A lot of the people who sold their TDIs during dieselgate are trying to buy them back. Not a fan of the ECU fix though. It does bring down the performance and fuel economy of the vehicle. I'd only take it in for the fix if you have emissions checks in your state.

PingGuo likes this.
  17. PingGuo

Man, if you have the time to find me a wagon (subaru, volvo, vw) under 40k miles, newer than 2012, within 300 miles of north FL, that's a way better deal and will be no haggle/stress I'd definitely take a look.

In theory I have 7 days from the 27th to find something that's a way better deal...

18. PingGuo

It's true, what I've read is that the fix does shave of a few mpg. I think it was down from 42 to 39 highway.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a Passat TDI that got 58mpg on one road trip.
    The fact that Americans aren't buying diesels annoys me.

PingGuo likes this.
  20. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

The researchers who discovered the skewed numbers are/were at WVU.

PingGuo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.